CSNbbs
Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane (/thread-831114.html)

Pages: 1 2

Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 10-24-2017 12:40 PM

Does the University sponsor it? Or it just happens spontaneously? What time does it start?

Poor marketing to new Tiger fans with children. No mention of it on the Game Day site, yet the U. continues to advertise a Grill Zone which probably never existed.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - tigerlands - 10-24-2017 01:55 PM

(10-24-2017 12:40 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Does the University sponsor it? Or it just happens spontaneously? What time does it start?

Poor marketing to new Tiger fans with children. No mention of it on the Game Day site, yet the U. continues to advertise a Grill Zone which probably never existed.

How is that poor marketing? Halloween is Tuesday, take the kids out trick or treating that night. Has Halloween become a week long event?

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - ksigtigerdood - 10-24-2017 02:06 PM

The grill zone exists.

To your point, I do think they should advertise the trick or treating event (if it is something they want to coordinate)

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - tcountytigerfan - 10-24-2017 03:25 PM

I don't think the University sponsors the Trick 'r Treating, per se, but they are having sponsored events for the kids via the Pouncer Pals program. We were in Pouncer Pals for several years (kids have gotten too old for it now) and they do a great job of planning fun events throughout the year. Definitely worth the low cost (I think it was $25/kid) - the annual "Walk the Field" alone was worth it. I believe Pouncer Pals is run thru the Alumni Association.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - MtownTigers916 - 10-24-2017 03:32 PM

(10-24-2017 01:55 PM)tigerlands Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 12:40 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  Does the University sponsor it? Or it just happens spontaneously? What time does it start?

How is that poor marketing? Halloween is Tuesday, take the kids out trick or treating that night. Has Halloween become a week long event?

It's just extremely poor marketing. I buy 20+ tickets each year for the Halloween game because it has become a family event. I know others that do the same. Attendance for the Halloween games has been very good. I guess with the rain Friday it may be a moot point

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - tigergreen - 10-24-2017 03:40 PM

For the past several years, there has been UofM "sponsored" trick-or-treating along Tiger Lane for the game that falls closest to Halloween. Tents that were participating were given little branded glow in the dark buckets, the cheerleaders & pom squad walked around handing out candy, etc.

If they don't intend on doing an official event, that's totally fine; but a friend of mine emailed the athletic office and they said they WERE doing it, so yes; that's poor marketing.

Of course, if it's 48 degrees and raining at kickoff, it won't matter anyway - no one will have their younger kids out in it.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - Tiger87 - 10-24-2017 05:09 PM

I guess this became a thing during my years away from the city. Never really knew Halloween was so important and interlinked with the program. Go figure.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 10-24-2017 07:36 PM

It is poor marketing because it is a missed opportunity to promote Tiger Lane, and thus, Memphis football, and thus, the U of M to the thousands of young professionals moving here who are starting families. And yes, like it or not, Halloween has become a weeklong event for children and adults. A lot of SEC fans, like my son-in-law, are showing an interest in Tiger football now that their own teams suck. The U should be actively courting them. And yet, the guy I spoke to in the Marketing Office today had no clue what I was talking about, and in fact, has never been to a Tiger game at Halloween. 04-jawdrop My daughter said last year that the Tiger Lane trick or treat is the best, safest, and most fun one in town.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 10-24-2017 07:39 PM

(10-24-2017 03:40 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  

For the past several years, there has been UofM "sponsored" trick-or-treating along Tiger Lane for the game that falls closest to Halloween. Tents that were participating were given little branded glow in the dark buckets, the cheerleaders & pom squad walked around handing out candy, etc.

If they don't intend on doing an official event, that's totally fine; but a friend of mine emailed the athletic office and they said they WERE doing it, so yes; that's poor marketing.

Of course, if it's 48 degrees and raining at kickoff, it won't matter anyway - no one will have their younger kids out in it.

The athletic office today told me they weren't doing it, The right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing. THAT'S the bigger problem

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 10-24-2017 07:45 PM

(10-24-2017 02:06 PM)ksigtigerdood Wrote:  The grill zone exists.

To your point, I do think they should advertise the trick or treating event (if it is something they want to coordinate)

WHERE is the Grill Zone? I have looked for it for two years. It's supposed to be in some nebulous area of Bear Bryant Blvd and Early Maxwell. No one in the Athletic Office, including Bob Winn in his capacity, has ever heard of it. I had to show him and a Marketing rep that it was advertised on the Game Day site. They gave me blank stares, and said they would discuss in a meeting

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - BandwagonJumper - 10-24-2017 08:32 PM

(10-24-2017 07:45 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  

WHERE is the Grill Zone? I have looked for it for two years. It's supposed to be in some nebulous area of Bear Bryant Blvd and Early Maxwell. No one in the Athletic Office, including Bob Winn in his capacity, has ever heard of it. I had to show him and a Marketing rep that it was advertised on the Game Day site. They gave me blank stares, and said they would discuss in a meeting

I'm with 21-17, after her/his last rant about it, I went looking for it before the Navy game.

I don't think it exists.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - ksigtigerdood - 10-25-2017 06:39 AM

(10-24-2017 08:32 PM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  
(10-24-2017 07:45 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  

I'm with 21-17, after her/his last rant about it, I went looking for it before the Navy game.

I don't think it exists.

We tailgate in lot E on the main lawn. The road that passes through (the map shows it as Alabama) just west of lot E typically has 3-4 grills set up.

I wasn't at the Navy game, but they're there for most games.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - holyterror - 10-25-2017 06:54 AM

(10-24-2017 03:40 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  

More candy for us. We'll help you get rid of it.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - Tiger87 - 10-25-2017 09:01 AM

Geez. Go don't go. If the candy gets you to a college fb game, beware walking the streets.

Just did a quick search of UTK and Old Miss to see their marketing for the "halloween game". Since they are the programs everyone seems to benchmark. Nothing there. Not to say they won't be doing anything. But there is nothing being marketed.

Geez.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - tigergeorge55 - 10-25-2017 09:29 AM

(10-25-2017 09:01 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Geez. Go don't go. If the candy gets you to a college fb game, beware walking the streets.

Just did a quick search of UTK and Old Miss to see their marketing for the "halloween game". Since they are the programs everyone seems to benchmark. Nothing there. Not to say they won't be doing anything. But there is nothing being marketed.

Geez.

Who cares about UTK and Ole Hiss?

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - Tiger87 - 10-25-2017 05:08 PM

(10-25-2017 09:29 AM)tigergeorge55 Wrote:  
(10-25-2017 09:01 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Geez. Go don't go. If the candy gets you to a college fb game, beware walking the streets.

Geez.

Who cares about UTK and Ole Hiss?

I don't. But I don't care about trick or treating at a football game 4 days before halloween either.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - AlonsoWDC - 10-25-2017 05:44 PM

Parents encouraging their kids to ask other people for free candy sets a terrible example.

No solicitation.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - JerryJeff - 10-26-2017 08:27 AM

Be careful of the law of unintended consequences, if you market trick or treating. You might not like the end result.

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - aardWolf - 10-26-2017 08:30 AM

(10-25-2017 05:44 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  Parents encouraging their kids to ask other people for free candy sets a terrible example.

No solicitation.

03-lmfao

RE: Trick 'r Treating on Tiger Lane - gusrob - 10-26-2017 12:00 PM

Bring the kids by my Tailgating group on Halloween and we'll give ya candy. Any other day we'll hand em a beer and wish em luck.