CSNbbs
UNC off the hook - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: UNC off the hook (/thread-829886.html)

UNC off the hook - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-13-2017 12:06 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article178659666.html

Jeff Goodman said on Outside the Lines on ESPN: "If this were UNC Wilmington or NC Central, would this have been the result?"

Of course not. UNC should be losing accreditation over this. Just because the NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction doesn't make them innocent. Just because the fake classes were offered to everyone doesn't mean it wasn't targeted to help athletics.

I know we have plenty of UNC apologists here and I'll get flamed for this post. Don't care. The NCAA is a sham, college basketball's culture is disgusting, and the FBI already proved that was the case a few weeks ago. UNC weren't the only culprits of course, but this was a major one that ended up with nothing happening.

The fallout from this is now schools can have fake classes anywhere as long as they don't offer it ONLY to athletes. They might face accreditation issues....or maybe they won't?

RE: UNC off the hook - Seahawkhoops - 10-13-2017 12:13 PM

(10-13-2017 12:06 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article178659666.html

Jeff Goodman at said on Outside the Lines on ESPN: "If this were UNC Wilmington or NC Central, would this have been the result?"

Of course not. UNC should be losing accreditation over this. Just because the NCAA doesn't have jurisdiction doesn't make them innocent. Just because the fake classes were offered to everyone doesn't mean it wasn't targeted to help athletics.

I know we have plenty of UNC apologists here and I'll get flamed for this post. Don't care. The NCAA is a sham, college basketball's culture is disgusting, and the FBI already proved that was the case a few weeks ago. UNC weren't the only culprits of course, but this was a major one that ended up with nothing happening.

The fallout from this is now schools can have fake classes anywhere as long as they don't offer it ONLY to athletes. They might face accreditation issues....or maybe they won't?
They basically just laid the blue print for other NCAA teams to cheat. Add a few "token non athletes" to fake classes and you are covered. What a complete crock of $hit! SU lost over 100 wins for far far less!

RE: UNC off the hook - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-13-2017 12:19 PM

(10-13-2017 12:13 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  They basically just laid the blue print for other NCAA teams to cheat. Add a few "token non athletes" to fake classes and you are covered. What a complete crock of $hit! SU lost over 100 wins for far far less!

Fake classes for everyone! Does the FBI have jurisdiction there? The NCAA can't do sh*t so we need our federal government to step in to make sure schools are, you know, ACTING LIKE F*CKING HIGHER EDUCATION INSTITUTIONS.

RE: UNC off the hook - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-13-2017 02:19 PM

**Crickets**

RE: UNC off the hook - Seahawkhoops - 10-13-2017 02:33 PM

Timing is everything: The NCAA announced Braxton Beverly has been denied immediate eligibility after attending a class at Ohio State before transferring to NC State. So let me get this straight, no penalty for going to fake classes or not going to class at all, but a kid who actually went to class gets penalized? LOL

RE: UNC off the hook - B_Hawk06 - 10-13-2017 04:06 PM

I don't agree with the classes, but... the NCAA knew they couldn't get into this tangle by handing down a punishment because legally they'd get taken to court over it and lose. Doesn't make what UNC did right. Everyone knows that, and hopefully them and other schools fix that but the NCAA didn't have a leg to stand on in this case and wisely backed out.

RE: UNC off the hook - Seahawkhoops - 10-13-2017 04:18 PM

(10-13-2017 04:06 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I don't agree with the classes, but... the NCAA knew they couldn't get into this tangle by handing down a punishment because legally they'd get taken to court over it and lose. Doesn't make what UNC did right. Everyone knows that, and hopefully them and other schools fix that but the NCAA didn't have a leg to stand on in this case and wisely backed out.

I don't agree at all. I think everyone knows if this was anyone else they would have dropped the hammer a long time ago and worried about legal ramifications later. The NCAA is like the NFL inconsistent , selective discipline!

RE: UNC off the hook - B_Hawk06 - 10-13-2017 05:32 PM

(10-13-2017 04:18 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 04:06 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I don't agree with the classes, but... the NCAA knew they couldn't get into this tangle by handing down a punishment because legally they'd get taken to court over it and lose. Doesn't make what UNC did right. Everyone knows that, and hopefully them and other schools fix that but the NCAA didn't have a leg to stand on in this case and wisely backed out.

I don't agree at all. I think everyone knows if this was anyone else they would have dropped the hammer a long time ago and worried about legal ramifications later. The NCAA is like the NFL inconsistent , selective discipline!

I don't, and it's because I heard someone on the radio earlier make a really good point. Here's the gist of it...

The NCAA for decades now has been ruling on these schools with an iron fist and leveraging harsh penalties all the way up to the dreaded "death penalty" is has dealt in the past. Typically, anytime a school finds they're under the microscope of the NCAA infractions committee they self-impose harsh penalties on their teams and hope the NCAA doesn't go further. Often times, and we have become accustom to such, the NCAA still comes in and imposes sanctions of some sort (fines, playoff bans, and wins removed). However, no school in recent memory has stood up to the NCAA and said, "You can't do this, it's beyond your jurisdiction." Who knows, maybe UNC just had a perfect case for it that would go their way in an outside court. However, instead of allowing the NCAA to schwack them, they stood their ground and told the NCAA to back off or they'd take them to court.

Again, UNC was in the wrong here. There's no denying that. BUT, they weren't bowing to the NCAA like teams have in the past.

RE: UNC off the hook - billthebighawksfan - 10-13-2017 11:27 PM

I don't have a dog in the fight but I found it interesting that one of the key guys on there from the SEC said that there wasn't enough evidence to show that it was an act to totally persuade players to go to the classes. It's like, heck, we sign guys that can't even do 6th grade stuff and they get through so why punish UNC on this...they aren't currently doing anything football wise.

At the end of the day, let's be glad that UNCW does it the right way and cheer for a REAL team. There's no controversy with that. We know that there will be a double standard and that's cool. In reality, when UNC put a stop to their mess, they actually had 4 year guys that did it the right way and won. That's the culture that our coach came from and it works.

I've never been a fan of the 1 and done guys. It's not fun and truly collegiate. In most cases it doesn't work out for the colleges. It works out for the player so let's not get into a situation where the player deserves this or that with respect to royalties or player likeness issues for pay. Players now get spending money to augment now including the dub. It is what it is but again be glad that the team that you pull for doesn't break the rules. You have to earn in in the CAA and I wouldn't like it any other way .

I'll just add this...my oldest son is one of the best academic students in Wake county (ACT 35 out of 36 and a 5.0 GPA-#3 in class of 690). He may not be getting some scholarship money to attend a college to get an engineering degree!! He has Yale, MIT, Vanderbilt and other colleges contacting him, but that doesn't matter-it's tough to make up the difference regardless of what they offer. The whole system is messed up IMHO, but I digress. If you get a grant, be glad that you got it because believe me, that's big in and of itself.

RE: UNC off the hook - SEA33HAWK - 10-14-2017 12:49 PM

Actually it ended up being a well spent $18 mil for UNC to lawyer up.

RE: UNC off the hook - dan10 - 10-16-2017 08:58 AM

I have to agree with the ruling. The accreditation board should have dropped the hammer on UNC-CH, but not the NCAA. I agree it would have been a waste of legal money from the NCAA since they more than likely would have lost that battle and UNC-CH made it very clear they would fight the long expensive battle. The NCAA will look like it did not do enough, but the blame really should fall on the accreditation board who did in fact not act appropriately in punishing UNC-CH.

In the end until the NCAA acts like they should and truly enforce student athletes to be student athletes and not just semi professional athletes, nothing will change and it will be business as usual. Everyone knows the playing field is not level, but we also know that the NCAA has no interest in a level playing field, either. This and the Louisville scandal is just a bunch of ho-hum nonsense that was pretty well already known. Life will go on and people will continue to cheat/do illegal acts for money. Welcome to the USA. Money drives the ship at all levels and will continue to talk.

RE: UNC off the hook - Proff - 10-16-2017 04:10 PM

I agree with dan. The only school I hate/dislike more than the tar holes is ezu but a bogus/questionable department is an accreditation matter. Certainly the athletic department took advantage of this - as I am sure non-athletes did also. The set up of the bogus department had a negative impact on all 16 campuses of the consolidated university. I know for a fact that at least one program at the Dub had to jump through extra hoops in order to get a new degree program ok'd all because of chapel hill's academic chicanery.

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: UNC off the hook - B_Hawk06 - 10-16-2017 05:26 PM

I agree with both of you. It's inexcusable behavior, but it's a matter of "jurisdiction" really.

The accreditation board SHOULD have absolutely dropped the hammer on UNC.

In that regard, fair question here... had the accreditation board dropped the hammer on UNC, could that have had further impact throughout the campuses of the consolidated university? Obviously, some things are being scrutinized more closely as Proff stated, but could it have been worse? And is it a bad thing to have the accreditation board scrutinizing programs? I don't think so. Perhaps this matter will force the board to do a better job of that for ALL schools in the future?

RE: UNC off the hook - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-16-2017 05:38 PM

(10-16-2017 05:26 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I agree with both of you. It's inexcusable behavior, but it's a matter of "jurisdiction" really.

The accreditation board SHOULD have absolutely dropped the hammer on UNC.

In that regard, fair question here... had the accreditation board dropped the hammer on UNC, could that have had further impact throughout the campuses of the consolidated university? Obviously, some things are being scrutinized more closely as Proff stated, but could it have been worse? And is it a bad thing to have the accreditation board scrutinizing programs? I don't think so. Perhaps this matter will force the board to do a better job of that for ALL schools in the future?

Only if someone loses accreditation. Just being looked at with a little more scrutiny but not facing any real dangers isn't good enough.