CSNbbs
Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (http://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer (/thread-829723.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - CrimsonPhantom - 10-11-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:While a number of sports fans were sad across America on Tuesday night, one politician decided to make a joke on Twitter about the US not making it to the World Cup in 2018 — a stunning and embarrassing loss.

US Rep Brendan Boyle

@RepBrendanBoyle

I was really disappointed the USA men's team didn't qualify for the World Cup. Then I remembered I couldn't care less about soccer.
8:33 PM - Oct 10, 2017

Brendan Boyle, D-Pa., then continued on about soccer in what he would later say was an attempt to be funny.

Lizette Franks @FranksLizette
Replying to @RepBrendanBoyle

Maybe you don't understand the game?

Follow
US Rep Brendan Boyle

@RepBrendanBoyle

Run around for 90 minutes.
Flop when barely touched.
Score 1 goal at most.
Do I got it?
03-wink
9:55 PM - Oct 10, 2017

US Rep Brendan Boyle

@RepBrendanBoyle

Had no idea soccer fans were such snowflakes. Guys, do yourselves a favor. Watch the baseball playoffs. You're welcome.
8:52 PM - Oct 10, 2017

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/10/brandon-boyle-us-soccer-twitter?csp=trueanthem&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=59de959004d30167a9884152&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

View responses to his original tweet:

https://twitter.com/RepBrendanBoyle/status/917941282852483073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fftw.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fbrandon-boyle-us-soccer-twitter

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - Owl 69/70/75 - 10-11-2017 05:25 PM

I remember being in Dallas during the 1994 World Cup. A guy called into one of the sports talk stations and said, "I've been watching this soccer and the problem is that there is not enough scoring. If they changed and made each goal worth 7 points instead of only 1, it would be a lot more exciting." The host had no idea how to respond.

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - Love and Honor - 10-11-2017 06:20 PM

Soccer is one of those games where I appreciate the talent behind it and passion of the fans, but if I want a basic get-object-into-goal game I'll tune into hockey. Both fundamentally similar in concept aside from the ice, but the latter is a million times more exciting and NHL isn't nearly as diva-dominated as the other major sports leagues.

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - shere khan - 10-11-2017 06:59 PM

Soccer is a commie suburban sport for kids with overprotective alpha moms

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - JMUDunk - 10-11-2017 07:06 PM

(10-11-2017 05:25 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I remember being in Dallas during the 1994 World Cup. A guy called into one of the sports talk stations and said, "I've been watching this soccer and the problem is that there is not enough scoring. If they changed and made each goal worth 7 points instead of only 1, it would be a lot more exciting." The host had no idea how to respond.

Haha.

Same idea as the age old question and response-

Sir, how would you like your pizza sliced, 6 pieces or 8?

Oh, 6, please. I could never eat 8.

RE: Congressman learns important lesson - BEARCATDALE - 10-11-2017 07:45 PM

[Image: BrKf2nmCcAAikhR.jpg]

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - EverRespect - 10-11-2017 07:50 PM

(10-11-2017 06:20 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

Soccer is one of those games where I appreciate the talent behind it and passion of the fans, but if I want a basic get-object-into-goal game I'll tune into hockey. Both fundamentally similar in concept aside from the ice, but the latter is a million times more exciting and NHL isn't nearly as diva-dominated as the other major sports leagues.
The problem with soccer is there are too many players on the field. Take a couple away on each side and it would be more exciting. If they are worried about too much scoring, shrink the goal. Shrink the field by 1/3 as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - nutbushtiger - 10-11-2017 07:51 PM

Soccer needs a 3 point line.

Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - Jjoey52 - 10-11-2017 08:07 PM

Get rid of offsides.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Congressman learns important lesson about how Twitter works after trolling US Soccer - Love and Honor - 10-11-2017 09:26 PM

(10-11-2017 07:50 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  Soccer is one of those games where I appreciate the talent behind it and passion of the fans, but if I want a basic get-object-into-goal game I'll tune into hockey. Both fundamentally similar in concept aside from the ice, but the latter is a million times more exciting and NHL isn't nearly as diva-dominated as the other major sports leagues.

The problem with soccer is there are too many players on the field. Take a couple away on each side and it would be more exciting. If they are worried about too much scoring, shrink the goal. Shrink the field by 1/3 as well.
[/quote]

That makes sense, though here are the changes I would make if I were soccer overlord:

1. No PKs to decide a game, but in each OT both teams take a player off the field (10 v 10, then 9 v 9, etc).
2. Automatic video review of fouls resulting in PKs and red cards.
3. Ten-minute power plays assessed against players who commit yellow card penalties, included expanded enforcement of flopping calls.
4. Stop the clock when an injury occurs, the fact the refs have a secret timer is absurd.

I'm almost tempted to say that the US should just hit the reset button now and boycott the Qatar cup in 2022 for everything they've been up to...we need to completely re-think our national approach to the sport. We may not want to face it but our college development system has failed us, you can't compete that way with nations who's elite athletes eat, sleep, and live soccer 24/7 from the womb.