CSNbbs
Happy Coming Out Day ! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Happy Coming Out Day ! (/thread-829687.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Happy Coming Out Day ! - JDTulane - 10-11-2017 12:10 PM

The other thread has devolved horribly so here is a new one to celebrate coming out day. :)

Happy Coming Out Day! Today is a big day for many LGBT members both on this forum and in our communities. Coming out can be terrifying. Thank you to all the allies out there that help our LGBT youth feel included, welcomed, and supported.

Some HRC info for today:

http://www.hrc.org/resources/the-history-of-coming-out

http://www.hrc.org/explore/topic/coming-out

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Lord Stanley - 10-11-2017 12:38 PM

Let's work hard to keep vitriol at a minimum in this thread, please.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - bullet - 10-11-2017 01:01 PM

Come out to friends and family. Keep it out of the workplace. Your sexual life is no business of your employer or of the government.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-11-2017 01:12 PM

(10-11-2017 01:01 PM)bullet Wrote:  Come out to friends and family. Keep it out of the workplace. Your sexual life is no business of your employer or of the government.

Uh, that's not the point. Do your coworkers know if you're married? How about if you went on a date with a female?

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - bullet - 10-11-2017 01:21 PM

(10-11-2017 01:12 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 01:01 PM)bullet Wrote:  Come out to friends and family. Keep it out of the workplace. Your sexual life is no business of your employer or of the government.

Uh, that's not the point. Do your coworkers know if you're married? How about if you went on a date with a female?

Your sexual practices should not be a factor in the work environment. Its nobody's business but your own.

If you are sharing information about dates, then those people are probably your friends. I can't imagine talking to a boss about dating activity. It would be pretty unprofessional for an employee to talk about being like Wilt Chamberlin and brag about doing a different woman every night.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-11-2017 01:25 PM

(10-11-2017 01:21 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Your sexual practices should not be a factor in the work environment. Its nobody's business but your own.

If you are sharing information about dates, then those people are probably your friends. I can't imagine talking to a boss about dating activity. It would be pretty unprofessional for an employee to talk about being like Wilt Chamberlin and brag about doing a different woman every night.

How about coming out to your HR director when you apply for spousal benefits. And then you get fired from your taxpayer supported job for doing so?

Do you think that your friends talk to other people? Most times I don't come out to my clients or coworkers. I don't have to because people talk. Furthermore, in my case, I've had to tell my boss...'sorry I cannot be posted in Russia or Nigeria as my life would be in grave danger if you did so. Perhaps you can fly me out every Thursday and put me somewhere I can exist for the weekend?'

I used to work for a consulting firm. We would travel together for months and sometimes years together. How the hell are you going to keep your personal life private when you're basically living with them for years on end?

Trust me, the closet is your enemy. If you try to stay in it, you have to basically disengage from all social interaction with all of your coworkers. And your career will be harmed as a result.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - stinkfist - 10-11-2017 01:27 PM

(10-11-2017 12:38 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Let's work hard to keep vitriol at a minimum in this thread, please.

the thread title begs humor.....

it's not my fault that some don't have any.....

my first roomie was gay.....it was never an issue.....no differently than the many gay friends I have today.....

sometimes, you need ability to read between the sheets.....

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - UTSAMarineVet09 - 10-11-2017 01:31 PM

(10-11-2017 12:10 PM)JDTulane Wrote:  The other thread has devolved horribly so here is a new one to celebrate coming out day. :)

Happy Coming Out Day! Today is a big day for many LGBT members both on this forum and in our communities. Coming out can be terrifying. Thank you to all the allies out there that help our LGBT youth feel included, welcomed, and supported.

Some HRC info for today:

http://www.hrc.org/resources/the-history-of-coming-out

http://www.hrc.org/explore/topic/coming-out

Congratulations! 07-coffee3

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - bullet - 10-11-2017 01:32 PM

(10-11-2017 01:25 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

How about coming out to your HR director when you apply for spousal benefits. And then you get fired from your taxpayer supported job for doing so?

And how often has that happened since the Supreme Court ruling? Or even in the 3 to 5 years before that? Most major companies had benefits for "significant others." Those were specifically designed for gays. A lot of those companies deleted those policies after the Supreme Court ruling, leaving unmarried couples out of luck.

Conscious discrimination is virtually nonexistent at Fortune 1000 type companies these days. As a high profile company, there's too high a price in lawsuits and customer goodwill for them to allow it.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-11-2017 01:37 PM

(10-11-2017 01:32 PM)bullet Wrote:  

And how often has that happened since the Supreme Court ruling? Or even in the 3 to 5 years before that? Most major companies had benefits for "significant others." Those were specifically designed for gays. A lot of those companies deleted those policies after the Supreme Court ruling, leaving unmarried couples out of luck.

Conscious discrimination is virtually nonexistent at Fortune 1000 type companies these days. As a high profile company, there's too high a price in lawsuits and customer goodwill for them to allow it.

There are jobs, many of the taxpayer supported, that you can be fired from simply for coming out. If you work in health care, social work, or education, the problem is really persistent.

And Trump just made a lawsuit over firing someone for coming out pretty much pointless. Last week, his AG removed all enforcement of non-discrimination protections for LGBT persons. And is in the process of handing over control of more taxpayer funded education jobs, social work jobs, and health care jobs to people who discriminate overtly.

Look, your argument that you shouldn't be open and honest at work is ridiculous.

If you cower and hide from the question "what did you do this weekend" or "are you single", then that's going to hurt your career.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - oliveandblue - 10-11-2017 01:37 PM

He's not talking about saying "my husband and I went to our family reunion this weekend". His point is clear.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Hood-rich - 10-11-2017 01:39 PM

JDTulane...

[Image: no_honor_roll.jpg]

Never forget.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - UTSAMarineVet09 - 10-11-2017 01:39 PM

(10-11-2017 01:39 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  JDTulane...

[Image: no_honor_roll.jpg]

Never forget.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-11-2017 01:39 PM

(10-11-2017 01:37 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  

He's not talking about saying "my husband and I went to our family reunion this weekend". His point is clear.

Actually, if you say that even once at work, then everyone will know. People gossip.

The only way to not be out at work is to not have any personal friendship with anyone in your office and to lie in any social interaction with coworkers.

Actually, saying 'my husband and I went to our family reunion this weekend' is coming out at work.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - stinkfist - 10-11-2017 01:39 PM

(10-11-2017 01:37 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 01:32 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-11-2017 01:12 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Uh, that's not the point. Do your coworkers know if you're married? How about if you went on a date with a female?

There are jobs, many of the taxpayer supported, that you can be fired from simply for coming out. If you work in health care, social work, or education, the problem is really persistent.

And Trump just made a lawsuit over firing someone for coming out pretty much pointless. Last week, his AG removed all enforcement of non-discrimination protections for LGBT persons. And is in the process of handing over control of more taxpayer funded education jobs, social work jobs, and health care jobs to people who discriminate overtly.

Look, your argument that you shouldn't be open and honest at work is ridiculous.

If you cower and hide from the question "what did you do this weekend" or "are you single", then that's going to hurt your career.

I thought DJT was a closet dippo???

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - rath v2.0 - 10-11-2017 01:41 PM

JD is donning his latex gimp outfit in honor of the special day.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Hood-rich - 10-11-2017 01:43 PM

(10-11-2017 01:25 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Trust me, the closet is your enemy. If you try to stay in it, you have to basically disengage from all social interaction with all of your coworkers. And your career will be harmed as a result.

Based on the way you act here I would be surprised if anyone had questions about your sexuality.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-11-2017 01:43 PM

(10-11-2017 01:41 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  JD is donning his latex gimp outfit in honor of the special day.

Ah yes, with comments like that, it appears as if you are coming out as an 'insult troll' today. Congrats to you.

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - EverRespect - 10-11-2017 01:43 PM

(10-11-2017 01:37 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  

I'd rather people come out than not. I just don't see it as cause for celebration or pride. Graduate, get married, get a certification, get a promotion, have a child... causes for celebration and pride. Having the urge to add partners to your notch count... not a cause for celebration and pride. Congratulations, your dick works?

RE: Happy Coming Out Day ! - stinkfist - 10-11-2017 01:43 PM

(10-11-2017 01:41 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  JD is donning his latex gimp outfit in honor of the special day.

it once scared the ex in her stirrups.....

#figuratively 03-wink