CSNbbs
Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. (/thread-828432.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Wilkie01 - 09-27-2017 01:20 PM

From article of Rivals Louisville. So who should we hire?

Basketball coach list

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - mlb - 09-27-2017 01:23 PM

Sounds like Crean and IU may be caught up in this soon thanks to one of your assistants. I'd suspect that disqualifies him.

Sent from my SM-G935V using CSNbbs mobile app

Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Lenvillecards - 09-27-2017 01:43 PM

I say no to Crean. First we must find an interim coach with practice starting soon. Names I've heard are Jerry Eaves, Butch Beard, Kenny Payne & Scotty Davenport. I would say that since it was said that an interim coach would be named within 48 hours that this is probably a likely list. Jerry & Scotty catch my eye here. Jerry is a Cardinals legend with NBA assistant coaching experience. Scotty was a top Louisville area high school coach, was on the Cardinals staff during the transition from Crum to Pitino & has done an excellent job at Bellermine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - GoldenWarrior11 - 09-27-2017 01:52 PM

I think Louisville needs to go down the Arkansas (John L. Smith)/Baylor (Jim Grobe) route, and hire a true interim head coach. There needs to be the expectation that this will only be for the season. Quite frankly, Louisville does not even know what further sanctions and/or penalties will come from this most recent scandal. It wouldn't be fair to the school, athletic department and/or coaching staff to hire a new long-term staff without knowing what the future holds.

In that regard, cross all the guys of the list. Crean will have new job next year. Matta may want to coach again, but health issues will most likely prevent that. Brown isn't going to college. I don't view Davis or Balado as realistic candidates either. Someone in the vein of a Kevin O'Neill, Jim Crews, Steve Fisher, or even a Bo Ryan, etc. - a coach who is retired, and understands that he is simply a stop-gap to right the ship and carry on until the new administration is in place.

Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Lenvillecards - 09-27-2017 01:52 PM

(09-27-2017 01:23 PM)mlb Wrote:  Sounds like Crean and IU may be caught up in this soon thanks to one of your assistants. I'd suspect that disqualifies him.

Huh? Louisville hired him from Indiana for the same reason that IU hired him. So how can it be Louisville fault if IU gets caught up in this? He didn't go from Louisville to IU.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Wilkie01 - 09-27-2017 01:55 PM

(09-27-2017 01:43 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I say no to Crean. First we must find an interim coach with practice starting soon. Names I've heard are Jerry Eaves, Butch Beard, Kenny Payne & Scotty Davenport. I would say that since it was said that an interim coach would be named within 48 hours that this is probably a likely list. Jerry & Scotty catch my eye here. Jerry is a Cardinals legend with NBA assistant coaching experience. Scotty was a top Louisville area high school coach, was on the Cardinals staff during the transition from Crum to Pitino & has done an excellent job at Bellermine.

I would pick Scotty Davenport 07-coffee3

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - mlb - 09-27-2017 02:07 PM

(09-27-2017 01:52 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 01:23 PM)mlb Wrote:  Sounds like Crean and IU may be caught up in this soon thanks to one of your assistants. I'd suspect that disqualifies him.

Huh? Louisville hired him from Indiana for the same reason that IU hired him. So how can it be Louisville fault if IU gets caught up in this? He didn't go from Louisville to IU.

I'm referring to them investigating the UL assistant's background and may find that said assistant did the same thing at IU while he was on Crean's staff.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Wilkie01 - 09-27-2017 02:15 PM

(09-27-2017 02:07 PM)mlb Wrote:  

I'm referring to them investigating the UL assistant's background and may find that said assistant did the same thing at IU while he was on Crean's staff.

Good point. 04-cheers

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - CardFan1 - 09-27-2017 02:21 PM

(09-27-2017 01:43 PM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  I say no to Crean. First we must find an interim coach with practice starting soon. Names I've heard are Jerry Eaves, Butch Beard, Kenny Payne & Scotty Davenport. I would say that since it was said that an interim coach would be named within 48 hours that this is probably a likely list. Jerry & Scotty catch my eye here. Jerry is a Cardinals legend with NBA assistant coaching experience. Scotty was a top Louisville area high school coach, was on the Cardinals staff during the transition from Crum to Pitino & has done an excellent job at Bellermine.

Kenny Payne ? Lol, the hammer could easily fall on Kentucky before this is over !

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - CardFan1 - 09-27-2017 02:25 PM

(09-27-2017 02:15 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 02:07 PM)mlb Wrote:  

Good point. 04-cheers

ADIDAS Connection. Wonder what They will find with UCLA, that Ball kids dads been doing a lot of bragging about shoe contracts in NBA

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - 8BitPirate - 09-27-2017 02:40 PM

We'll give you Lebo and throw in some BBQ. :D

Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Lenvillecards - 09-27-2017 03:51 PM

(09-27-2017 02:21 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  

Kenny Payne ? Lol, the hammer could easily fall on Kentucky before this is over !

Yeah, I would say no to Kenny as well but some fans has thrown his name out there. The last thing we need right now is a coach with shoe company ties, Kenny has ties to Nike. Jerry & Butch are coaching together now so we could possibly pickup the pair. I wouldn't mind giving Scotty a chance either.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Bearcats#1 - 09-27-2017 04:06 PM

Nobody is going to touch this until they see the end result.

Beaides, UofL needs to spend time/money getting a good lawyer.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - shere khan - 09-27-2017 06:49 PM

(09-27-2017 01:20 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  From article of Rivals Louisville. So who should we hire?

Basketball coach list
Expensive lawyers

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - 8BitPirate - 09-27-2017 07:53 PM

(09-27-2017 06:49 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(09-27-2017 01:20 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  From article of Rivals Louisville. So who should we hire?

Basketball coach list
Expensive lawyers

If the shoes don't fit, you must acquit.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - CardinalJim - 09-27-2017 08:12 PM

David Padgett will be the interm coach until March unless a long term agreement can be reached with Chris Mack.
CJ

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - Bearcats#1 - 09-27-2017 10:04 PM

I think Mack is a good coach. Not sure he comes there though. I would assume he will at least wait and see how bad the sentence is. He isn't a desperate coach by any means.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - HtownOrange - 09-27-2017 10:43 PM

John Thompson, III. He coached Georgetown, didn't win enough, coaches mediocrity, and should be available.

Of course, my Orange fandom may be biasing my opinion.

On a serious, I hate to see Pitino get nailed when he had nothing to do with the action. Unless there is new info, the investigation is not treating him as a suspect. Fire a guy if he does something wrong, but firing a guy when he has not done wrong is harsh. Quick thought, Louisville could still be on the hook for his salary if he is not convicted of a crime; which at this point is difficult since he is not a target of the investigation.

I understand that he is the head of the hoops program; this does not necessarily make him responsible for bribery he is unaware of. Unless Louisville wanted to get rd of him for some other reason and is being opportunistic, it seams that they should have at least given him a chance to say his piece. Anyway, just a thought.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - ken d - 09-28-2017 07:09 AM

Before very long we could find that there aren't many power conference head coaches (including the Big East) who aren't tainted by all this. What basketball coaches at this level are not involved in recruiting at all? And do we really think that other assistant coaches on the staffs of the schools already implicated were completely unaware what their colleague was doing?

If this is systemic - that is, if everybody really is doing it, or trying to - then just playing musical chairs with the existing coaching pool isn't going to fix anything.

If it is systemic, it's the system that must be changed. And this might be big enough to force the system to change where everything else has failed.

RE: Potential candidates at Louisville for head basketball coach. - H.U.S.T.L.E. - 09-28-2017 07:23 AM

(09-27-2017 10:43 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  John Thompson, III. He coached Georgetown, didn't win enough, coaches mediocrity, and should be available.

Of course, my Orange fandom may be biasing my opinion.

On a serious, I hate to see Pitino get nailed when he had nothing to do with the action. Unless there is new info, the investigation is not treating him as a suspect. Fire a guy if he does something wrong, but firing a guy when he has not done wrong is harsh. Quick thought, Louisville could still be on the hook for his salary if he is not convicted of a crime; which at this point is difficult since he is not a target of the investigation.

I understand that he is the head of the hoops program; this does not necessarily make him responsible for bribery he is unaware of. Unless Louisville wanted to get rd of him for some other reason and is being opportunistic, it seams that they should have at least given him a chance to say his piece. Anyway, just a thought.

He's got to be held responsible as the face of the program. Once they had an assistant get in trouble for providing hookers to teenagers ON CAMPUS, Pitino needed to say, "Guys, we're going to be under the microscope and we can't do anything that breaks or even bends the rules."

Whether Pitino knew exactly what was happening under his watch is irrelevant. The fact that someone on his staff knowingly broke rules and ADMITTED THEY HAVE TO BE CAREFUL BECAUSE THEY'RE ON PROBATION... that's the very definition of "lack of institutional control."

If a head coach isn't going to hire guys who have ethical standards to represent his program, that's on him.