CSNbbs
Future of Rice Athletics - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Future of Rice Athletics (/thread-827631.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Future of Rice Athletics - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-18-2017 09:57 PM

OK, so there has been some justifiable criticism when game threads have drifted into discussions about the future of the entire athletic program. I am starting this thread as what I hope will be a more appropriate venue for such discussions.

I will respond here to some posts that have appeared elsewhere, again seeking to focus those discussions here. I think they are good discussions that need to be had, but not on threads established for other discussions.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-18-2017 10:10 PM

(09-18-2017 07:16 PM)Wiessman Wrote:  Dropping football doesn't make the other problems go away. I don't mean to imply that it does.
But football seems to be the biggest challenge for us. And dropping it would mean that we could pour more resources into other programs and start new ones that we would have a better chance of succeeding in. We have shown that, yes, we can be more than respectable in baseball. We looked to be on our way to respectability in basketball, but we suffered a major setback, so the jury is still out on that one.
The point is, I see the potential for a bigger plan. Dropping football doesn't magically fix everything, but it would give us a better opportunity to focus on things that we can and should do better.
Now what the overall plan would be is up for debate. I don't have time for that right now. But I seriously believe that since we don't seem to care any longer about football being consistently respectable, we have to live in the present and pack it in.

Football is kind of the loss leader that you have to play in order to get to sit at the table.

Quote:Owl 69/70/75 keeps saying that fixing and stabilizing basketball is an almost certain road to a better future for us. I think that has to be a big part of any real reform, no question.

That's not an accurate representation of my comments. I don't know that there is any certain or almost certain road to success. But it is hard to envision any road to success that does not include basketball as a component. So it is a necessary but not a sufficient condition.

Quote:We're never going to be a P5 school again under the current definition (we ostensibly were one during the SWC years). However, we can certainly be a much better D1 representative than we currently are. Gonzaga, Wichita State, Davidson, etc. have demonstrated the viability of the sans-football model.

The problem with the sans-football model is that finding a conference home would be problematic, and scheduling without a conference affiliation would be difficult. McKinsey basically concluded that it was impossible 13 years ago, and I don't see any changes since then that would make it work. Wichita State is going the no-football route, enabled by their role as the complement to Navy's football-only membership in the AAC. There is not another of those situations on offer, nor do I expect to see one.

A lot of people post on here with their hearts. When you look at many of these issues from a hard-nosed business perspective, a number of issues look very different. And that's the perspective that an AD has to approach things.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 09-19-2017 09:44 AM

I tend to think the next round of realignment will be the big one and the P5 conferences will gain some reasonable amount of stability. I've said it before but I think it will probably be something along the lines of 4 or 5 full "Power" conferences with some sort of bone thrown to the MWC/AAC in order to make it politically palatable.

At that point I can see some of the remaining FBS schools dropping football or dropping to FCS. I think that's the type of context in which we drop football, and there might be more non-football conference opportunities opening up. The key would be to make sure we get an invite to the MWC/AAC if we want to keep football. To be clear, that's my first choice.

Of course, there is no reason to believe I have a clue what I'm talking about.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - illiniowl - 09-19-2017 10:34 AM

(09-18-2017 10:10 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Football is kind of the loss leader that you have to play in order to get to sit at the table.

What table? The Division I table? There are scores if not hundreds of schools that are Division I without football. The P5 table? You think that is still a possibility for Rice? More to the point, do you think anybody in a decisionmaking capacity at Rice thinks that is still a possibility for Rice? Because they have kept it well hidden if they do. They certainly aren't acting like it.

Please be specific on what we would miss out on simply by not having football.

Quote:The problem with the sans-football model is that finding a conference home would be problematic, and scheduling without a conference affiliation would be difficult. McKinsey basically concluded that it was impossible 13 years ago, and I don't see any changes since then that would make it work. Wichita State is going the no-football route, enabled by their role as the complement to Navy's football-only membership in the AAC. There is not another of those situations on offer, nor do I expect to see one.

No, finding a conference home would not be problematic. The Missouri Valley just took Valparaiso to replace WSU. Apparently Valpo was not sitting around in the Horizon League bemoaning its lack of options. I have zero doubt that a football-less Rice would have plenty of conferences willing to house our other sports. Denver is in the Summit League for most sports, the Big East for lacrosse, and some other conference for hockey. It's ok to be creative, you know. The Big 10 has Johns Hopkins as a lacrosse member. Rice baseball, in particular, would get its calls returned by every conference in the country including all the P5s.

I think a very likely outcome is that baseball would go to a P5-level conference, and the other sports would initially go to a Summit League or Southland or Big West or West Coast or similar. As a soccer or basketball or lacrosse or other program rises in stature, it might go separately to a better conference.

We do not need meaningless football on this campus to achieve anything. The only reason for Rice to have football is if we are bound and determined to rejoin the P5. If that is not a realistic option, then it does nothing for us.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Frizzy Owl - 09-19-2017 10:41 AM

A P5 conference will not agree to carry our baseball team. They're all about football and megabucks.

So we end up with our teams scattered across various crappy conferences. How does that improve prospects?

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Hou_Lawyer - 09-19-2017 12:07 PM

The product on the field the last 10 years has diminished Rice's reputation. Rice will never spend money like a Stanford or Vandy on athletics so why continue the status quo at D-1 (I'm strictly speaking of the football team)? It cannot get any worse.

And this may not be a popular opinion on a sports message board, but if we scrapped football, wouldn't the admission statistics be enhanced? If we have roughly 1,000 students enrolling every year then the football team would account for roughly 8% of that total. That is significant. We know the administration decreases the normal entrance standards for these players. Can anyone really argue against that? The football team isn't making any money, has a negative reputation on the university and brings down admission statistics.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - waltgreenberg - 09-19-2017 12:35 PM

(09-19-2017 12:07 PM)Hou_Lawyer Wrote:  The product on the field the last 10 years has diminished Rice's reputation. Rice will never spend money like a Stanford or Vandy on athletics so why continue the status quo at D-1 (I'm strictly speaking of the football team)? It cannot get any worse.

And this may not be a popular opinion on a sports message board, but if we scrapped football, wouldn't the admission statistics be enhanced? If we have roughly 1,000 students enrolling every year then the football team would account for roughly 8% of that total. That is significant. We know the administration decreases the normal entrance standards for these players. Can anyone really argue against that? The football team isn't making any money, has a negative reputation on the university and brings down admission statistics.

While much of what you say is correct, the reality is that if we eliminated football, it would adversely effect every other sports program (as it would negatively impact conference affiliation-- even worse than today)....AND would result in a significant reduction in donor money. That's why we need to do everything possible to fix the current state of the football program so that it doesn't become a drag on our other athletic programs, many of which are on the rise and/or holding their own in national rankings (e.g., mens/womens tennis, swimming, soccor, T&F, womens basketball, baseball).

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - ExcitedOwl18 - 09-19-2017 12:35 PM

(09-19-2017 12:07 PM)Hou_Lawyer Wrote:  The product on the field the last 10 years has diminished Rice's reputation. Rice will never spend money like a Stanford or Vandy on athletics so why continue the status quo at D-1 (I'm strictly speaking of the football team)? It cannot get any worse.

Your numbers are off. There are approximately 20 scholarship football players per class.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - illiniowl - 09-19-2017 12:50 PM

(09-19-2017 10:41 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  A P5 conference will not agree to carry our baseball team. They're all about football and megabucks.

So we end up with our teams scattered across various crappy conferences. How does that improve prospects?

Again, the Big 10 has Johns Hopkins as a lacrosse-only member, and there are other examples of sport-specific conference memberships. Remember, conference membership decisions are ultimately made by university presidents, not conference commissioners or athletic directors, and the JHU name carries substantial cachet with that group, as obviously would Rice. In any event, the bottom line reason JHU is in the Big 10 for lacrosse is that it gave the Big 10 an even number of lacrosse teams. Therefore, any conference that currently has an odd number of baseball teams would very likely welcome Rice to even out the scheduling logistics. The Big XII has 9 baseball teams at present. The Big 10 has 13. The Pac12 has 11. We could put our marquee sport in a premier conference and even if our other sports had to go to a "crappy" conference, hello, we're in CUSA already. Denver is nationally competitive in soccer and tennis and various other sports despite being in a "crappy" conference. For all I know we might be able to stay in CUSA without football or baseball. Invest in the program and you can make NCAA tournaments perennially in various sports no matter your conference - our baseball team proves that - and then maybe you upgrade conferences on a sport-by-sport basis later (as Denver has done with lacrosse). The point is, we need to think outside the box and explore all options.

I agree with your post, I just wanted to add that I hope no one here is under the illusion that Harvard et al. do not also lower their entrance standards for athletes. The new U.S. Attorney in Chicago played football at Harvard and was quoted in the paper as saying he barely cracked 1100 on the SAT.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - 75src - 09-19-2017 04:13 PM

Maybe we need to find out why UAB is bringing back football. It could be that CUSA requires all conference members to play football and they could be dropped if they did not bring back football.

I am not thinking of a good way forward. Football and previously MBB have been too bad to help Rice. We can drop football and stay in D1 for the other sports but just about every conference that exists near us wants schools that have football teams. Lamar dropped football for three decades and is bringing it back and HBU is starting football. We would have football problems in FCS because dropping from 85 to 56 scholarships would hurt our depth. Our tuition expense makes it harder to get walk-ons to replace the lost scholarships.

There are no real comparable schools in D2 and we would lose the top level of baseball play. D3 has some comparable schools but we would also lose top level baseball. Johns Hopkins got a special exemption for lacrosse from the beginning but I do not think the NCAAs would probably be willing to give other exemptions to allow only a single sport to be D1.

I foresee the G5 getting squeezed further by the P5 but I do not foresee a good alternative. I am disgusted by the present state of Rice football because I am old enough to remember when Rice football mattered. Now I think the whole of football both NCAA and the pros has become rotten. I am getting ashamed of liking football because of the threat of permanent brain injuries to the players. It gets old seeing the same teams in the top 25 and they are the only ones being noticed.

(09-19-2017 12:50 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  
(09-19-2017 10:41 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  A P5 conference will not agree to carry our baseball team. They're all about football and megabucks.

Again, the Big 10 has Johns Hopkins as a lacrosse-only member, and there are other examples of sport-specific conference memberships. Remember, conference membership decisions are ultimately made by university presidents, not conference commissioners or athletic directors, and the JHU name carries substantial cachet with that group, as obviously would Rice. In any event, the bottom line reason JHU is in the Big 10 for lacrosse is that it gave the Big 10 an even number of lacrosse teams. Therefore, any conference that currently has an odd number of baseball teams would very likely welcome Rice to even out the scheduling logistics. The Big XII has 9 baseball teams at present. The Big 10 has 13. The Pac12 has 11. We could put our marquee sport in a premier conference and even if our other sports had to go to a "crappy" conference, hello, we're in CUSA already. Denver is nationally competitive in soccer and tennis and various other sports despite being in a "crappy" conference. For all I know we might be able to stay in CUSA without football or baseball. Invest in the program and you can make NCAA tournaments perennially in various sports no matter your conference - our baseball team proves that - and then maybe you upgrade conferences on a sport-by-sport basis later (as Denver has done with lacrosse). The point is, we need to think outside the box and explore all options.

I agree with your post, I just wanted to add that I hope no one here is under the illusion that Harvard et al. do not also lower their entrance standards for athletes. The new U.S. Attorney in Chicago played football at Harvard and was quoted in the paper as saying he barely cracked 1100 on the SAT.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Jonathan Sadow - 09-19-2017 04:19 PM

Let me point out that Johns Hopkins is a poor example to use in this argument. The Blue Jays' presence in the Big Ten for lacrosse is in essence a historical accident. JHU is Division III for all sports except for men's lacrosse. The NCAA used to permit schools to have one sport in a different classification than the rest of its athletic program but discontinued that policy some years ago. However, schools like JHU who had taken advantage of that policy had those programs grandfathered in, so Blue Jays lacrosse can stay that way as long as it wants. So when the Big Ten admits JHU for lacrosse, the issue of where the rest of the Blue Jays' programs go is moot, because there are no other Division I programs at the school. By contrast, Rice has a full complement of Division I programs to consider.

The bottom line is fairly simple. Football provides about 85% of college athletics revenues in Division I. If you don't have football, you don't make money. Either Rice works on improving football and stays in Division I FBS, or it drops football and drops to Division III. Economically, these are the only two solutions that work.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - 75src - 09-19-2017 04:28 PM

Your conclusion is pretty much what the McKinsey study of 2004 stated. I agree.

(09-19-2017 04:19 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  

Let me point out that Johns Hopkins is a poor example to use in this argument. The Blue Jays' presence in the Big Ten for lacrosse is in essence a historical accident. JHU is Division III for all sports except for men's lacrosse. The NCAA used to permit schools to have one sport in a different classification than the rest of its athletic program but discontinued that policy some years ago. However, schools like JHU who had taken advantage of that policy had those programs grandfathered in, so Blue Jays lacrosse can stay that way as long as it wants. So when the Big Ten admits JHU for lacrosse, the issue of where the rest of the Blue Jays' programs go is moot, because there are no other Division I programs at the school. By contrast, Rice has a full complement of Division I programs to consider.

The bottom line is fairly simple. Football provides about 85% of college athletics revenues in Division I. If you don't have football, you don't make money. Either Rice works on improving football and stays in Division I FBS, or it drops football and drops to Division III. Economically, these are the only two solutions that work.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-19-2017 05:31 PM

(09-19-2017 04:28 PM)75src Wrote:  Your conclusion is pretty much what the McKinsey study of 2004 stated. I agree.

Yep.
And while lots of things have changed since 2004, that hasn't. We have two options: stay in D-1 and fix football and basketball (because you can't make the numbers work with either one losing money), or go to D-3.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - illiniowl - 09-19-2017 05:45 PM

As to your first paragraph: Apples and oranges. Nobody is talking about Rice splitting its sports between two different NCAA divisions, I am talking about Rice splitting its sports between two or more conferences, which is not restricted by the NCAA, and examples of which abound. Conferences are legal entities and can set their own requirements for membership, full or partial. Further, the reason the Big 10 admitted JHU for lacrosse is absolutely because they wanted an even number of teams as well as, if I recall correctly, the minimum number of teams to have the conference champion qualify for the NCAA tournament. If it hadn't been JHU, it would have been someone else from outside the Big 10. There have been rumors that the Big 10 might add Arizona State for hockey and start Big 10 hockey (currently Big 10 schools that have hockey are in some other hockey-specific conference).

And I'm sorry, but your second paragraph makes less sense than your first. It will come as news to myriad football-less Division I schools that they can't be Division I. It will also come as news to all 300+ D-I schools that they have to "make money." Most schools spend more than their direct revenue and make up the difference with subsidies or student fees. It's essentially a loss leader for everyone except a select (albeit probably growing) number of P5 schools, but they're fine with this because athletic programs engender student engagement, alumni pride, and (hopefully) positive public goodwill, all of which redound to the university's benefit.

Also, we aren't in danger of being kicked out of FBS. The thing we got kicked out of was the P5. We can stay in the ghettoized G5 division of FBS in perpetuity as far as I can see as long as we keep trotting out a team, regardless of the number of empty seats they play before. There might be a minimum attendance requirement but that rule is in no danger of being enforced and if it were we'd just lie about the attendance or give away free tickets like we've done for decades.

I don't think the University is that concerned about "losing money." If it were, athletics would have been shut down long, long ago. They clearly are fine with spending at a certain level ($25MM/year in today's dollars) to have a Division I athletic department, just like they are fine with spending X dollars to have an English department at a certain quality level. I think arguments to get them to spend more would be heard if they could be convinced that there would be a suitable benefit to doing so, and I think an argument to get them to spend the same money but in a different way (e.g., without football) could also gain traction, but an argument that "we can't go on losing money like this" wouldn't make any sense to them because, clearly, we *can* and *have*. It is not "losing money" to them. It is an operating expense for a necessary function.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-19-2017 05:51 PM

One thing that does hurt, and badly. We spent $X million (admittedly a big hunk of it donated) for an EZF that was ballyhooed as what football needed to be competitive. Since then, the only noise football has made is a loud kerplop as it hit the bottom. The BOT is justifiably skeptical about additional commitments to football or athletics.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - BufflOwl - 09-19-2017 05:58 PM

(09-19-2017 05:31 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(09-19-2017 04:28 PM)75src Wrote:  Your conclusion is pretty much what the McKinsey study of 2004 stated. I agree.

Yep.
And while lots of things have changed since 2004, that hasn't. We have two options: stay in D-1 and fix football and basketball (because you can't make the numbers work with either one losing money), or go to D-3.

If fans on a message board can come up with what Rice needs to do, why did we have to commission this report to state the obvious? Also, just so each of you know, for anyone who wasn't intimately involved in this department in the early 2000's that report means nothing. At all. Therefore citing it in a future of Rice Athletics conversation adds actually no substance. The day some leader can get everyone with some pull 15 years ago to turn the page on that report and chart a new path for Rice's future is the day we have a chance to return to relevancy.

That takes me to the point I've been trying to make to Owl 69 to 75. I materially disagree that all of Rice's athletics problems are solved by selecting the correct combination of a couple particular options. I personally believe Rice's biggest challenge is the ability to retain great leaders in this department. Whether it's Coaches, Athletic Directors, Fundraisers, Marketers..so on and so forth...as soon as there is any sign of success or even just a couple new lines on one's resume, the good ones leave.

Those that stick around for years are wildly mediocre. It's hard to say that sometimes because they are nice people who try hard...but that doesn't make them great at their job. Inspiring visions and incredible tenacity from people who are simply great, will produce the necessary results in whatever area they oversee. We've seen just enough success to know, that while it's hard, for the great ones it is indeed possible.

Until the powers that be can hire and keep those people with those skills, all the debates about scheduling, fundraising, conference alignments, tv agreements, coaches contracts, or the McKinsey Report in its entirety are simply an exercise in futility.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - texowl2 - 09-19-2017 06:06 PM

(09-19-2017 05:31 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Yep.

Other than paint on the pig (and granted the upgrade to Tudor and FB locker room complex is very nice paint), what has changed in either sport? I haven't specifically looked, but I suspect attendance/support is down in FB/BSKB/BB. (Oops, I guess i was being impolite as the Houston sports team is quite abuzz about Saturday's game vs FIU) I will grant you that more focused effort has been made by Tanner, Shu, and team, but are they playing the role of Sisyphus?

I know many (some?) think that Leebron and the BOT are doing a lot to support, but I still don't see (or haven't seen) a massive support effort to roll that rock over the hill, but rather just enough that such support is really little more than neglect to provide plausible deniability when the transfer to D3 happens. I suspect plans to use the HRS acreage is already being thought about. Case in point-has everyone seen where the new Opera facility is being constructed? Right across from the Music School in the parking lot that was historically (well a few years back) one of the key lots for bskb and BB. And, I have a very good source on this, there are no plans to increase the size of either the voice faculty or student body.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-19-2017 06:15 PM

Without Leebron, we don't have Tudor or the EZF. You can argue how much support that represents.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - AnotherOldOwl - 09-19-2017 06:18 PM

(09-19-2017 06:06 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  ...I suspect plans to use the HRS acreage is already being thought about. Case in point-has everyone seen where the new Opera facility is being constructed? Right across from the Music School in the parking lot that was historically (well a few years back) one of the key lots for bskb and BB. And, I have a very good source on this, there are no plans to increase the size of either the voice faculty or student body.

I attended the lecture by Apollo astronaut Fred Haise last week and encountered the reduced parking situation. I had the same thought about HRS, although they may need to replace it with a parking garage and not just a parking lot.

RE: Future of Rice Athletics - waltgreenberg - 09-19-2017 06:18 PM

(09-19-2017 05:51 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  One thing that does hurt, and badly. We spent $X million (admittedly a big hunk of it donated) for an EZF that was ballyhooed as what football needed to be competitive. Since then, the only noise football has made is a loud kerplop as it hit the bottom. The BOT is justifiably skeptical about additional commitments to football or athletics.

And from what I've heard from sources in the know, the annual operating cost of the EZF/Patterson Center is astronomical. It has significantly added to our annual expense burden.