CSNbbs
Maybe our luck is changing - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: Maybe our luck is changing (/thread-827478.html)

Maybe our luck is changing - icecat21 - 09-17-2017 02:25 PM

CINCY DEFIED SLIMMEST OF ODDS IN WIN
Bearcats S Malik Clements' pick-six with 1:42 left sealed a thrilling come-from-behind victory that, at one point, saw them with less than 0.5 percent of a chance to win.

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - icecat21 - 09-17-2017 02:27 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - Bearhawkeye - 09-17-2017 05:30 PM

Miami has a good team this year and we had a lot of things go our way at crunch time last night. I'm all for celebrating the win especially given the seeming unlikeliness of it late in the game. But let's not forget that it wouldn't have been a miracle win but for how poorly we played overall most of the night. So I'm leery of the idea that anything changed cosmically or dramatically last night. Look at ol' Butchie at UT if you think there is some sort of magic touch....

We've got some strengths (the DL and RB depth are two of them), but still have a lot of areas that need a lot of work and improvement.

Ring dat bell!

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - UCGrad1992 - 09-17-2017 06:01 PM

What do you mean our luck is "maybe" changing? It already has for the better - no longer are we lead by the Coaching Dead.

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - cpawstoney - 09-18-2017 10:41 AM

(09-17-2017 05:30 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Miami has a good team this year and we had a lot of things go our way at crunch time last night. I'm all for celebrating the win especially given the seeming unlikeliness of it late in the game. But let's not forget that it wouldn't have been a miracle win but for how poorly we played overall most of the night. So I'm leery of the idea that anything changed cosmically or dramatically last night. Look at ol' Butchie at UT if you think there is some sort of magic touch....

We've got some strengths (the DL and RB depth are two of them), but still have a lot of areas that need a lot of work and improvement.

Ring dat bell!

What has changed is the team keeps playing until the end instead of heading for the bus in the third quarter. They make a lot of mistakes and watching them is painful but I have to give them credit for not quitting.

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - Bearhawkeye - 09-18-2017 03:31 PM

(09-18-2017 10:41 AM)cpawstoney Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 05:30 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Miami has a good team this year and we had a lot of things go our way at crunch time last night. I'm all for celebrating the win especially given the seeming unlikeliness of it late in the game. But let's not forget that it wouldn't have been a miracle win but for how poorly we played overall most of the night. So I'm leery of the idea that anything changed cosmically or dramatically last night. Look at ol' Butchie at UT if you think there is some sort of magic touch....

Ring dat bell!

What has changed is the team keeps playing until the end instead of heading for the bus in the third quarter. They make a lot of mistakes and watching them is painful but I have to give them credit for not quitting.

We won and didn't quit, but I still think we'd be looking at the season so far through a very different set of glasses had Martin simply called a timeout and then managed a 2 yard run for a first down late in the game (not to mention all the other events). Certainly it's a combination, but I guess each of us has our own interpretation of how much of the victory came from us not giving up versus how much came from lucky elements that all seemed to go our way down the stretch. Either way, it's nice to see some optimism around here after so much unrelenting pessimism the last several years.

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - applegbt - 09-18-2017 03:46 PM

(09-18-2017 03:31 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Ring dat bell!

We won and didn't quit, but I still think we'd be looking at the season so far through a very different set of glasses had Martin simply called a timeout and then managed a 2 yard run for a first down late in the game (not to mention all the other events). Certainly it's a combination, but I guess each of us has our own interpretation of how much of the victory came from us not giving up versus how much came from lucky elements that all seemed to go our way down the stretch. Either way, it's nice to see some optimism around here after so much unrelenting pessimism the last several years.

On the flip side, the same could be said if we had actually caught a couple of passes that were right in the bread basket, and hadn't gone for it on 4th down when we did. No question we were lucky, but I also feel like we played a bit better than the scoreboard suggested, especially in the 2nd half. There are a lot of things to be encouraged by, if we can keep building on it and start to seize some of these blown opportunities.

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - CliftonAve - 09-18-2017 03:52 PM

I've always have been taught and believe to this day you make your own luck through preparation and hard work. A lot of the things that worked out in our favor would not have done so if our players had no legs under them in the 4th quarter.

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - Bearhawkeye - 09-18-2017 03:57 PM

(09-18-2017 03:46 PM)applegbt Wrote:  
(09-18-2017 03:31 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Ring dat bell!

On the flip side, the same could be said if we had actually caught a couple of passes that were right in the bread basket, and hadn't gone for it on 4th down when we did. No question we were lucky, but I also feel like we played a bit better than the scoreboard suggested, especially in the 2nd half. There are a lot of things to be encouraged by, if we can keep building on it and start to seize some of these blown opportunities.

I hear ya. But even with regard to that point, I think the dominant view last year wrt to dropped passes and bad 4th down decisions was that our coaches stink and can't even recruit guys who can be taught to catch the ball. Just depends upon the lens one is using.

Anyway, I hope that whatever happened at the end of that game continues for us on to Navy!

RE: Maybe our luck is changing - OKIcat - 09-18-2017 04:00 PM

(09-18-2017 03:52 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I've always have been taught and believe to this day you make your own luck through preparation and hard work. A lot of the things that worked out in our favor would not have done so if our players had no legs under them in the 4th quarter.

I agree. I don't believe in "luck" but odds are that the ball will bounce our way some days. Or the 3 point buzzer beater rims out for our opponent once in a while.

What many of us are seeing is the difference coaching makes. To me, this unlikeliest of wins may be a game we point back to as the beginning of a great story.