CSNbbs
Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: NTR Sports (/forum-675.html)
+------- Thread: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship (/thread-827092.html)

Pages: 1 2

Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Latilleon - 09-14-2017 07:14 AM

Does anyone care?

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - UofMark - 09-14-2017 10:14 AM

I do. I go to quite a few games. Love baseball. That said I understand that the minor leagues are for player development and every player would rather be in St Louis than playing for a AAA title here. In fact most of the Cardinals success this year is due to Memphis Redbirds. I saw ex Tiger Jacob Wilson interviewed on the news last night. Wilson has been floating around the Cards minor league system for years. He's never really put up the numbers for advancement. His season was over with the AA Springfield Cardinals. He was home in Memphis, fixing to go fishing when the Cards farm director called him and told him to report to AutoZone Park. He's being doing pretty well also. I'd like a title for players like him, who'll probably spend their entire career in the minors. Anyhow. it's a beautiful day this Thursday. I'm heading to game #2 in about an hour in what will be the last game at AZP this season. I'd like a win but in reality it doesn't matter. I had a blast at AutoZone Park this Summer and loved watching this 91 win team.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Latilleon - 09-14-2017 11:16 AM

I'm surprised by only 4K to the championship game. I figure those are the diehards, but is the media make it a big deal?

This is the best minor league baseball season in Memphis history? Shouldn't that matter?

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - UofMark - 09-14-2017 05:35 PM

(09-14-2017 11:16 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  I'm surprised by only 4K to the championship game. I figure those are the diehards, but is the media make it a big deal?

This is the best minor league baseball season in Memphis history? Shouldn't that matter?

No, unfortunately it doesn't. Minor league baseball is the experience and not so much the result. It's family and friends having a good night together. I doubt anybody leaves upset that the Redbirds lost, if they even know the score. I've heard minor league general manager's say they actually would prefer not to make the playoffs. No time for promotion when games fall in your lap at the last minute plus parent team call ups leave your team unrecognizable. Today's game had players I frankly had never heard of. The game today had around 4k which by minor league playoff crowds, is outstanding. Yes, today's game was baseball diehards, plus with school going on you didn't have kids running around which was kind of nice. As for that 4k, if you look at minor league playoff box scores, 4k is ahead of all of them. Many are just 2 or 3k. The minors are different from the majors. You can't hold a minor league team to a major league attendance standard.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Latilleon - 09-15-2017 02:29 PM

(09-14-2017 05:35 PM)UofMark Wrote:  
(09-14-2017 11:16 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  I'm surprised by only 4K to the championship game. I figure those are the diehards, but is the media make it a big deal?

No, unfortunately it doesn't. Minor league baseball is the experience and not so much the result. It's family and friends having a good night together. I doubt anybody leaves upset that the Redbirds lost, if they even know the score. I've heard minor league general manager's say they actually would prefer not to make the playoffs. No time for promotion when games fall in your lap at the last minute plus parent team call ups leave your team unrecognizable. Today's game had players I frankly had never heard of. The game today had around 4k which by minor league playoff crowds, is outstanding. Yes, today's game was baseball diehards, plus with school going on you didn't have kids running around which was kind of nice. As for that 4k, if you look at minor league playoff box scores, 4k is ahead of all of them. Many are just 2 or 3k. The minors are different from the majors. You can't hold a minor league team to a major league attendance standard.

I'm holding the Redbirds to the 2000 standard. I know that was a different world, but it shows what's possible.

I went to a game this year and it was depressing being in the stadium. That shouldn't be the way that ballpark should feel.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - UofMark - 09-15-2017 02:54 PM

(09-15-2017 02:29 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

I'm holding the Redbirds to the 2000 standard. I know that was a different world, but it shows what's possible.

I went to a game this year and it was depressing being in the stadium. That shouldn't be the way that ballpark should feel.

OK, you win

If you want to Barry Manilow 'Trying to get the feeling again', go to any Saturday night game.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - ncrdbl1 - 09-15-2017 05:27 PM

(09-14-2017 07:14 AM)Latilleon Wrote:  Does anyone care?

Based on the announced attendance numbers (3,781 and 3,750) i would say not many do care.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - ncrdbl1 - 09-15-2017 05:31 PM

The newness of the downtown arena has worn off and people just do not care to go downtown at night to see a ball game. Sad to think at one time we were battling Sacramento head to head each year for the minor league attendance title. Last few years we have been around the bottom of the PCL

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - karter25 - 09-15-2017 05:37 PM

(09-15-2017 05:27 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

Based on the announced attendance numbers (3,781 and 3,750) i would say not many do care.

If everyone that complained that nobody goes to the game would actually go to a game, there would be more people there. I know racerman isn't going. It is much easier to sit on the couch and complain about everything and anything. Why others don't go is beyond me. I believe there are 10 or so Cardinal players that players that were Redbirds this year. Weaver is wearing batters out this year in St Louis. I went to a good many games. Always a good time and very good crowds on Saturday nights. Several were close to sell outs. The mid-day week day home games hurt the average attendance numbers. Everyone that enjoys baseball needs to go to some games next year. Best bargain in town.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - karter25 - 09-15-2017 05:39 PM

(09-15-2017 05:31 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  

The newness of the downtown arena has worn off and people just do not care to go downtown at night to see a ball game. Sad to think at one time we were battling Sacramento head to head each year for the minor league attendance title. Last few years we have been around the bottom of the PCL

I can't help but notice you say WE when discussing attendance. Only fans that attend games should say WE. People like you that sit home and do nothing should say THEY.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - ncrdbl1 - 09-15-2017 05:51 PM

(09-15-2017 05:39 PM)karter25 Wrote:  

I can't help but notice you say WE when discussing attendance. Only fans that attend games should say WE. People like you that sit home and do nothing should say THEY.

I was starting to worry about you. Hadn't seen your stalking post in a while so i was afraid something may have happened to you.

It is good to know that no matter what happens in my life i will always have a place in your head in which to live rent free.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - karter25 - 09-15-2017 06:22 PM

(09-15-2017 05:51 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 05:39 PM)karter25 Wrote:  
(09-14-2017 05:35 PM)UofMark Wrote:  No, unfortunately it doesn't. Minor league baseball is the experience and not so much the result. It's family and friends having a good night together. I doubt anybody leaves upset that the Redbirds lost, if they even know the score. I've heard minor league general manager's say they actually would prefer not to make the playoffs. No time for promotion when games fall in your lap at the last minute plus parent team call ups leave your team unrecognizable. Today's game had players I frankly had never heard of. The game today had around 4k which by minor league playoff crowds, is outstanding. Yes, today's game was baseball diehards, plus with school going on you didn't have kids running around which was kind of nice. As for that 4k, if you look at minor league playoff box scores, 4k is ahead of all of them. Many are just 2 or 3k. The minors are different from the majors. You can't hold a minor league team to a major league attendance standard.

I was starting to worry about you. Hadn't seen your stalking post in a while so i was afraid something may have happened to you.

It is good to know that no matter what happens in my life i will always have a place in your head in which to live rent free.

Haven't had time to post. Too busy going to various events. Hit the Redbird game yesterday afternoon. Wow, what an exciting ending, and heading out to Fairgrounds shortly to park the RV for the Tiger football game. I am sure by tomorrow night you will be complaining about the crowd size at the game while you won't bother attending.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Latilleon - 09-16-2017 03:03 PM

(09-15-2017 02:54 PM)UofMark Wrote:  

OK, you win

If you want to Barry Manilow 'Trying to get the feeling again', go to any Saturday night game.

It's more about the park than the attendance. The games were shut down. The concessions are inferior. The store is much smaller. The paint is peeling. The only improvement is the video board.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Latilleon - 09-16-2017 03:05 PM

(09-15-2017 05:37 PM)karter25 Wrote:  

If everyone that complained that nobody goes to the game would actually go to a game, there would be more people there. I know racerman isn't going. It is much easier to sit on the couch and complain about everything and anything. Why others don't go is beyond me. I believe there are 10 or so Cardinal players that players that were Redbirds this year. Weaver is wearing batters out this year in St Louis. I went to a good many games. Always a good time and very good crowds on Saturday nights. Several were close to sell outs. The mid-day week day home games hurt the average attendance numbers. Everyone that enjoys baseball needs to go to some games next year. Best bargain in town.

I spent almost $75 for two for seats, food, and drink.

I'm wondering what happened to the value priced tickets at AZP!

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - karter25 - 09-16-2017 06:19 PM

(09-16-2017 03:05 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

You can buy seats all the time for about $12. Drinks are $5 or $6 anywhere. Same with hamburger or hotdog. I try to stay away from concessions anytime I go to sporting events. Maybe buy a water and refill it at the water fountain. Sounds like you bought better than average tickets or ate too much.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - Latilleon - 09-16-2017 06:34 PM

(09-16-2017 06:19 PM)karter25 Wrote:  

You can buy seats all the time for about $12. Drinks are $5 or $6 anywhere. Same with hamburger or hotdog. I try to stay away from concessions anytime I go to sporting events. Maybe buy a water and refill it at the water fountain. Sounds like you bought better than average tickets or ate too much.

It's not really a bargain with current prices.

Not too much less than I spend going to a major league game.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - karter25 - 09-17-2017 07:05 AM

(09-16-2017 06:34 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 05:27 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Based on the announced attendance numbers (3,781 and 3,750) i would say not many do care.

Not much less talent that you see at a major league game either as far as the Redbirds are concerned. Aside from ticket prices, you can expect concessions to be about the same as they are at Wrigley or Busch Stadium.

The concessions at a Tiger football game are comparable to what you pay at an NFL game. Maybe a bit cheaper, but not much. The tickets and parking prices are the biggest difference.

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - UofMark - 09-18-2017 08:17 AM

Job Well Done!
62 different players.

22 to St. Louis.

Only 4 with the team all season long.
[Image: 20jscjp.jpg]

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - ncrdbl1 - 09-18-2017 03:22 PM

(09-17-2017 07:05 AM)karter25 Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 06:34 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  
(09-15-2017 05:37 PM)karter25 Wrote:  If everyone that complained that nobody goes to the game would actually go to a game, there would be more people there. I know racerman isn't going. It is much easier to sit on the couch and complain about everything and anything. Why others don't go is beyond me. I believe there are 10 or so Cardinal players that players that were Redbirds this year. Weaver is wearing batters out this year in St Louis. I went to a good many games. Always a good time and very good crowds on Saturday nights. Several were close to sell outs. The mid-day week day home games hurt the average attendance numbers. Everyone that enjoys baseball needs to go to some games next year. Best bargain in town.

Not much less talent that you see at a major league game either as far as the Redbirds are concerned. Aside from ticket prices, you can expect concessions to be about the same as they are at Wrigley or Busch Stadium.

The concessions at a Tiger football game are comparable to what you pay at an NFL game. Maybe a bit cheaper, but not much. The tickets and parking prices are the biggest difference.

Not compared to Falcons concession prices. Owner required concession at new stadium be ultra low and the prices remain the same for every game played there including SEC title game and super bowls.

$2 soft drinks with FREE REFILLS

http://atlantarestaurants.blog.myajc.com/2017/07/13/concession-prices-at-mercedes-benz-stadium-are-something-to-cheer-about/

RE: Memphis Redbirds in PCL Championship - UofMark - 09-18-2017 05:00 PM

(09-18-2017 03:22 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Not compared to Falcons concession prices. Owner required concession at new stadium be ultra low and the prices remain the same for every game played there including SEC title game and super bowls.

$2 soft drinks with FREE REFILLS

Do you have any idea what it costs to get into a Falcons game? Heck they ought to give the food away. Let's say me and my son want Falcons season tickets. They offer just a very few tix at $60 a game, if you buy the entire season ticket (with 2 preseason games at full cost) plus a sweet $500 per seat PSL. That's $1720 for two season tix on the top two rows of the third deck in the endzone. As I said, they ought to give you the food free. I'll take my $20 Tiger ticket or $15 Redbird ticket and pay $5 per Coke or $7 per Budweiser all season long, thank you.

http://atlantafalcons.io-media.com/web/index.html