CSNbbs
Barry Odom - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Barry Odom (/thread-826812.html)

Pages: 1 2

Barry Odom - FCBE TIGER - 09-11-2017 06:39 AM

We REALLY dodged a bullet. That is all. #GTG

RE: Barry Odom - southpaw1 - 09-11-2017 09:59 AM

A friend of mine has a daughter that goes to Missouri. He went to the game last weekend and he said Missouri is an awful football team. I agree...we dodged a big bullet.

RE: Barry Odom - kapsig tgr - 09-11-2017 10:10 AM

I wanted us to hire him so bad. Boy was I wrong. I thought they'd at least have a good defense. Nope.

RE: Barry Odom - AlonsoWDC - 09-11-2017 10:11 AM

He just fired their DC after two games.

RE: Barry Odom - Crazier - 09-11-2017 10:35 AM

I'm not a fan of hiring defensive coordinator's as head coaches. A lot times they end up being disasters like Missouri.

Barry Odom - FCBE TIGER - 09-11-2017 10:47 AM

(09-11-2017 10:10 AM)kapsig tgr Wrote:  I wanted us to hire him so bad. Boy was I wrong. I thought they'd at least have a good defense. Nope.

Me too. I was disappointed when we lost out on him. He'll be looking for a new job within a few years

RE: Barry Odom - Tygrys - 09-11-2017 11:09 AM

(09-11-2017 10:35 AM)Crazier Wrote:  I'm not a fan of hiring defensive coordinator's as head coaches. A lot times they end up being disasters like Missouri.

Especially at a school like Memphis. It seems much harder to find "diamonds in the rough" on defense than on offense. Schools like us are much better served trying to win games 50-45 as opposed to 14-10...

RE: Barry Odom - MTiger'14 - 09-11-2017 11:15 AM

(09-11-2017 11:09 AM)Tygrys Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 10:35 AM)Crazier Wrote:  I'm not a fan of hiring defensive coordinator's as head coaches. A lot times they end up being disasters like Missouri.

Especially at a school like Memphis. It seems much harder to find "diamonds in the rough" on defense than on offense. Schools like us are much better served trying to win games 50-45 as opposed to 14-10...

I agree. If you're in the SEC you can hire a defensive guy and be successful (see Kirby Smart at Georgia) because you have the talent to line 'em up and play smash mouth between the tackles football. At schools like Memphis you need to compensate for your lack of talent by getting creative on offense.

RE: Barry Odom - Tiger1983 - 09-11-2017 11:40 AM

He has time to turn it around, but he is in the hot seat already.

RE: Barry Odom - jsw3ent - 09-11-2017 11:50 AM

(09-11-2017 11:15 AM)MTiger14 Wrote:  

I agree. If you're in the SEC you can hire a defensive guy and be successful (see Kirby Smart at Georgia) because you have the talent to line 'em up and play smash mouth between the tackles football. At schools like Memphis you need to compensate for your lack of talent by getting creative on offense.

In my best "Butch and Sundance" voices ---(WHO) are those guys ?

RE: Barry Odom - EarthBoundMisfit - 09-11-2017 11:51 AM

(09-11-2017 10:11 AM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  He just fired their DC after two games.

can't blame him...did you see how many points they gave up to Missouri State the week before?

RE: Barry Odom - EarthBoundMisfit - 09-11-2017 12:00 PM

hiring defensive coaches works out occasionally...Jimmy Johnson, Gene Stallings, Butch Davis, Pete Carrol, Jim Mora, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio to name a few.

RE: Barry Odom - EarthBoundMisfit - 09-11-2017 12:03 PM

(09-11-2017 11:50 AM)jsw3ent Wrote:  

In my best "Butch and Sundance" voices ---(WHO) are those guys ?

overall, I don't think Kirby Smart be be successful at Georgia. Want to see how well he does when Richt's recruits are gone. That, and Georgia fans will be applying a strict standard to him to be good...sooner than later.

RE: Barry Odom - aardWolf - 09-11-2017 04:47 PM

(09-11-2017 12:00 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  

hiring defensive coaches works out occasionally...Jimmy Johnson, Gene Stallings, Butch Davis, Pete Carrol, Jim Mora, Bob Stoops, Nick Saban, Mark Dantonio to name a few.

Bah... Saban will never amount to anything...

RE: Barry Odom - macgar32 - 09-11-2017 04:56 PM

Agreed...You can scheme on offense to beat a defense if you can get a little time...

On defense you really cant do anything is Alabama decides to put it down your throat.

RE: Barry Odom - Tigx - 09-11-2017 04:59 PM

We could find ourselves in the same position as Mizzou sooner than we had feared. If Memphis beats UCLA on national TV on Sunday, Norvell will be an ever hotter commodity. He is exactly what bigger schools want - young, energetic, offensive minded and an excellent recruiter. Also has hired an excellent staff.

And if Norvell leaves, some will favor moving Darrell Dickey up to head coach. Can hear the arguments now, he is likeable and popular, on staff already so recruiting won't miss a beat, he loves Memphis, won't use us as a stepping stone, will never leave . . . And most persuasive, the current players will petition not to hire someone from the outside.

IMO, just say no. Simply look back to Dickey's time at North Texas, and it proves that some guys are better as assistants or coordinators than the head job.

RE: Barry Odom - M1T4 - 09-11-2017 05:04 PM

Dickey isn't going to be the coach here.

RE: Barry Odom - memtigbb - 09-11-2017 06:11 PM

If that were the case they would have hired Dickey instead of Norvell. Dickey will not be considered.

RE: Barry Odom - MemphisFan95 - 09-11-2017 06:21 PM

(09-11-2017 04:59 PM)Tigx Wrote:  We could find ourselves in the same position as Mizzou sooner than we had feared. If Memphis beats UCLA on national TV on Sunday, Norvell will be an ever hotter commodity. He is exactly what bigger schools want - young, energetic, offensive minded and an excellent recruiter. Also has hired an excellent staff.

And if Norvell leaves, some will favor moving Darrell Dickey up to head coach. Can hear the arguments now, he is likeable and popular, on staff already so recruiting won't miss a beat, he loves Memphis, won't use us as a stepping stone, will never leave . . . And most persuasive, the current players will petition not to hire someone from the outside.

IMO, just say no. Simply look back to Dickey's time at North Texas, and it proves that some guys are better as assistants or coordinators than the head job.

No one will be in favor of Dickey becoming HC now just like they weren't when Fuente left.

RE: Barry Odom - shere khan - 09-11-2017 07:19 PM

(09-11-2017 06:21 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 04:59 PM)Tigx Wrote:  We could find ourselves in the same position as Mizzou sooner than we had feared. If Memphis beats UCLA on national TV on Sunday, Norvell will be an ever hotter commodity. He is exactly what bigger schools want - young, energetic, offensive minded and an excellent recruiter. Also has hired an excellent staff.

No one will be in favor of Dickey becoming HC now just like they weren't when Fuente left.
But Hugh Freeze. Lmao