CSNbbs
My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car (/thread-826625.html)

Pages: 1 2

My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - EvanJ - 09-09-2017 10:22 AM

I didn't expect to see a UNCW sticker on a car a few miles away from Hofstra.

My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-09-2017 10:43 AM

UNCW actually has a decent footprint in that area, due to all the NY kids who come south. Lots of Long Island/NYC/New Jersey parents have kids who go to UNCW. I should know as much...I'm from NJ originally.

In addition, whenever Hofstra plays UNCW I've heard that the local radio stations talk up that matchup a bit. Not sure if that's been your experience.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Proff - 09-09-2017 02:40 PM

Its funny how, over time, the footprint for alums has widened. A few years ago I went to a small town (pop=2500) in KY for an uncle's funeral. While there I noticed a UNCW flag hanging off the front porch. The owner stopped me after he saw the Seahawk sticker on my car. He was an alum. I never thought I'd see a Hawk there. With the school growing as it has - I guess it is not surprising to see the spread of the Hawk Nation around the country.

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - billthebighawksfan - 09-10-2017 12:15 PM

Touch of class...

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - EvanJ - 09-11-2017 04:28 PM

(09-09-2017 10:43 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  UNCW actually has a decent footprint in that area, due to all the NY kids who come south. Lots of Long Island/NYC/New Jersey parents have kids who go to UNCW. I should know as much...I'm from NJ originally.

In addition, whenever Hofstra plays UNCW I've heard that the local radio stations talk up that matchup a bit. Not sure if that's been your experience.
I'm not denying that people from near me attend UNCW, but I would expect most people seeking warmer weather to go to a bigger city than Wilmington. I would expect several schools in Florida to have more people from my area than UNCW. I could be totally wrong. How much does UNCW cost for out-of-state students compared to east coast schools farther south?

I don't know anything to prove you wrong, but I don't think Hofstra is popular enough to be talked about on the radio against any CAA team. The New York radio market has at least 16 Division I teams, and radio markets have less area than TV markets. I wouldn't be surprised if New York City is the big city where college sports are least popular. For Men's Basketball, I would expect only St. John's and the NBA potential of players on teams like Kentucky, North Carolina, and Duke to be talked about much on the radio. Men's Basketball could get talked about more in conference play if the Giants and Jets miss the playoffs, but even then there are two NBA and three NHL teams around.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Seahawkhoops - 09-11-2017 10:02 PM

(09-11-2017 04:28 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  [quote='Seahawk Nation 08' pid='14567588' dateline='1504971835']
UNCW actually has a decent footprint in that area, due to all the NY kids who come south. Lots of Long Island/NYC/New Jersey parents have kids who go to UNCW. I should know as much...I'm from NJ originally.

I'm not denying that people from near me attend UNCW, but I would expect most people seeking warmer weather to go to a bigger city than Wilmington. I would expect several schools in Florida to have more people from my area than UNCW. I could be totally wrong.

I bolted from Mass after college and ended up in Wilmington(at least for 8 years), UNCW affiliation comes from wife.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - B_Hawk06 - 09-12-2017 08:13 AM

(09-11-2017 10:02 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 04:28 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  [quote='Seahawk Nation 08' pid='14567588' dateline='1504971835']

I'm not denying that people from near me attend UNCW, but I would expect most people seeking warmer weather to go to a bigger city than Wilmington. I would expect several schools in Florida to have more people from my area than UNCW. I could be totally wrong.

I bolted from Mass after college and ended up in Wilmington(at least for 8 years), UNCW affiliation comes from wife.

Congrats on marrying up.

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Seahawkhoops - 09-12-2017 09:11 AM

(09-12-2017 08:13 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 10:02 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Congrats on marrying up.

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana
There is no doubt about that! Truth is, i had season tickets before i met her, so, marrying a UNCW grad is just my excuse :)

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - bricksnivy - 09-13-2017 09:21 AM

(09-11-2017 04:28 PM)EvanJ Wrote:  I'm not denying that people from near me attend UNCW, but I would expect most people seeking warmer weather to go to a bigger city than Wilmington. I would expect several schools in Florida to have more people from my area than UNCW.

A lot of the guys that I knew from NYC/Jersey came to Wilmington because they wanted a small city, that was a little slower paced. I'd say half moved back after college, but many stayed in the South with several still in Wilmington.

UNCW out-of-state tuition is ~$18k. I'm not certain Orlando is a better place to live than Wilmington, but tuition is comparable at UCF. Tampa is probably preferable to Wilmington, but other than USF, I'm not sure I'd be interested in UCF, FAU or FGCU.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Seahawk Nation 08 - 09-13-2017 03:07 PM

I came to find out about UNCW basically by chance. I think it was one of the better kept secrets at the time. Now the secret is out; UNCW is awesome. Simple as that.

I find it funny when people assume that giant schools are the best decision. Not that EvanJ was necessarily doing that, but by mentioning Florida schools, a lot of which are large, that would tend to be the case. For grad school/doctorate? Sure. But not always for undergrad. I like that I got taught by professors, not TA's, and wasn't treated like a number. I was able to get to know a lot of my professors in my time there.

I don't understand the glamour of mega-giant schools for an undergrad experience, except for 6 football Saturday's every Fall. That's about all they have on the Dub.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - Seahawkhoops - 09-13-2017 03:28 PM

(09-13-2017 03:07 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  I came to find out about UNCW basically by chance. I think it was one of the better kept secrets at the time. Now the secret is out; UNCW is awesome. Simple as that.

I find it funny when people assume that giant schools are the best decision. Not that EvanJ was necessarily doing that, but by mentioning Florida schools, a lot of which are large, that would tend to be the case. For grad school/doctorate? Sure. But not always for undergrad. I like that I got taught by professors, not TA's, and wasn't treated like a number. I was able to get to know a lot of my professors in my time there.

I don't understand the glamour of mega-giant schools for an undergrad experience, except for 6 football Saturday's every Fall. That's about all they have on the Dub.
08- is that still the case at the Dub? I mean in my time in NC i think it's grown from 8k or so to over 15k.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - HampsteadHawk - 09-13-2017 04:49 PM

I saw on the news that UNCW is nearing the 16,500 enrollment mark. I graduated last May and from my experience, while UNCW has gotten larger it has very much kept a "smaller" feel in terms of classes. I was never taught by a TA and most of my higher level business classes were just over 30 people

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - solohawks - 09-13-2017 06:47 PM

The new chancellor wants enrollment to get to 20k

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - 82hawk - 09-13-2017 06:47 PM

Chancellor is shooting for 20k in the very near future. Galloway will likely be demolished along with the 2 story apartments, and new housing will be built to accommodate the increase.

Also, UNCW has incredible demand from out of state students. So much so, that tuition was increased for out of state along with NCSU while all the other schools were left the same.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - tke75hawk - 09-13-2017 07:08 PM

How will Galloway being torn down increase housing. The land it sits on is the only place uncw can build a six story building and they just built a new dining hall behind it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - 82hawk - 09-13-2017 08:22 PM

Galloway is falling apart. That land along with the apartments makes room for replacement.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - tke75hawk - 09-14-2017 03:37 AM

The land with apartments could add more rooms for housing but there is no land around Galloway that can increase housing

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - bricksnivy - 09-14-2017 08:24 AM

Living in Galloway is a rite of passage. If the land around Galloway is approved for a six-story dorm, wouldn't it make sense to replace Belk, Graham and Hewlitt with new dorms?

After reading this last night, I texted a couple of good friends that stayed in Galloway. We all agreed that Galloway must stay. All four years were fun, but I have some special memories in that place.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - tke75hawk - 09-14-2017 10:02 AM

Galloway is six story dorm.there is not any other land at uncw that can support a 6 story dorm.

RE: My Neighbor Has a UNCW Sticker on His or Her Car - bricksnivy - 09-14-2017 11:26 AM

(09-14-2017 10:02 AM)tke75hawk Wrote:  Galloway is six story dorm.there is not any other land at uncw that can support a 6 story dorm.

Why?