CSNbbs
Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up (/thread-826345.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - billybobby777 - 09-06-2017 08:43 AM

Miami not only won't be making up the Arkansas St road game this year...but ever I hear. Sucks for Arky St who was primed for a huge crowd.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - Ohio Poly - 09-06-2017 11:35 AM

Will they be compensating ASU?

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - HeartOfDixie - 09-06-2017 11:38 AM

(09-06-2017 11:35 AM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  Will they be compensating ASU?

Almost certainly not...

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - msm96wolf - 09-06-2017 11:40 AM

Compensation is they don't have to pay Miami. Have to figure there is AOG clause in the contract.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - chiefsfan - 09-06-2017 11:40 AM

(09-06-2017 11:38 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  

Almost certainly not...

they have to per our contract. There was no protection for weather unless the Weather was in Jonesboro.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - quo vadis - 09-06-2017 11:47 AM

(09-06-2017 11:40 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Almost certainly not...

they have to per our contract. There was no protection for weather unless the Weather was in Jonesboro.

It will be a nominal amount. Sorry you lose the game, would have been good exposure.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - arkstfan - 09-06-2017 11:51 AM

AState saves the $300,000 we owed Miami for the guarantee
They owe $650,000 unless it is impossible to play. ESPN and AState offered to move it to Friday.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - C2__ - 09-06-2017 12:00 PM

If a hurricane is coming your way, doesn't it make more sense to go in the opposite direction? They could prepare to evacuate now.

This is a ploy just to get out of playing the game at a G5 school. But I guess since they're the Hurricanes, with a mascot that's the last to stay before the surge comes in, I guess they want to live up to that billing.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - chiefsfan - 09-06-2017 12:01 PM

(09-06-2017 11:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 11:40 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Almost certainly not...

It will be a nominal amount. Sorry you lose the game, would have been good exposure.

its 650K, but the real loss is to the city of Jonesboro economically.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - MWC Tex - 09-06-2017 12:01 PM

What I don't get is that the other Florida schools are still playing their games. If this game was played in Miami then yes, it should be cancelled and hope everyone is safe. But they are playing in Arkansas and this is a weak excuse when FIU, FAU and USF still have to go back to Florida also. So, the Miami AD said they were concerned about the team not being able to make it back to Miami....so does that mean they are staying in Miami or are they going to evacuate? If they are going to evacuate, they still have concerns about not make it back home so where are they going to go?

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - C2__ - 09-06-2017 12:04 PM

It's an excuse, plain and simple.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - Hokie Mark - 09-06-2017 12:07 PM

Perhaps they were concerned about the weather in Nebraska... If you catch my drift

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - Rube Dali - 09-06-2017 12:11 PM

(09-06-2017 12:07 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Perhaps they were concerned about the weather in Nebraska... If you catch my drift

I think they would be more worried about A tornado touchdown in Montana. And I'm sorry if I were being insensitive.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - BullsFanInTX - 09-06-2017 12:15 PM

There is a weather clause in contract to get out of game. The clause does not say that weather has to affect the home team in Arkansas. It just says game can be cancelled due to weather (which just happens to be affecting Miami). Game does not have to be made up if there are no dates available. Read the game contract.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - chiefsfan - 09-06-2017 12:23 PM

(09-06-2017 12:15 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  There is a weather clause in contract to get out of game. The clause does not say that weather has to affect the home team in Arkansas. It just says game can be cancelled due to weather (which just happens to be affecting Miami). Game does not have to be made up if there are no dates available. Read the game contract.

The clause very specifically states that option only exist if it is impossible for Miami to travel to Jonesboro for the game

ESPN offered moving the game up a couple days. Miami refused. By doing that, they must fulfill the buyout.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - HeartOfDixie - 09-06-2017 12:33 PM

(09-06-2017 12:23 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 12:15 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  There is a weather clause in contract to get out of game. The clause does not say that weather has to affect the home team in Arkansas. It just says game can be cancelled due to weather (which just happens to be affecting Miami). Game does not have to be made up if there are no dates available. Read the game contract.

The clause very specifically states that option only exist if it is impossible for Miami to travel to Jonesboro for the game

ESPN offered moving the game up a couple days. Miami refused. By doing that, they must fulfill the buyout.

That doesn't sound as strong as you first made it out to be.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - arkstfan - 09-06-2017 12:35 PM

I'm going to keep repeating this.
Contract says it must be impossible to play the game. It was possible, it remained possible. ESPN and AState even offered to move it to Friday.

A year ago Miami's position was wait and see when they were hosting Florida State.
http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/17718843/hurricane-matthew-impacting-sports-landscape-approaches-east-coast

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - Frank the Tank - 09-06-2017 12:42 PM

It's not a clear case. "Impossibility" isn't necessarily the fact that the game can or can't be played in Jonesboro, but rather whether all parties are able to fulfill all aspects of the agreement and if this is a force majeure situation. Miami could argue that it is a force majeure situation because the fact that they could arrive to play the game doesn't mean that they'd be able to return home. We can argue whether or not it would actually be safer for Miami players to be in Jonesboro when a hurricane is hitting Florida, but regardless of how one feels about those circumstances, Miami could probably reasonably demonstrate that it would incur additional costs for lodging those players longer, re-chartering a jet for a different date, and other expenses that would have not come up but for the force majeure situation. Was Arkansas State offering to meet any of those additional costs that Miami would have incurred (particularly since many of these college football scheduling agreements have fairly specific expense reimbursement clauses)? If so, then Arkansas State might have more of a case. However, if Arkansas State is just relying upon a liquidated damages clause in this situation, claiming that the game could have been played, and stating that the force majeure clause doesn't apply, I don't think that would hold up.

The practical nature of these situations is that the parties will meet somewhere in the middle (e.g. the liquidated damages amount minus the expenses that Miami would have incurred by having to stay additional days in Jonesboro) because neither party has a 100% clear cut case.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - arkstfan - 09-06-2017 12:44 PM

(09-06-2017 12:42 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

It's not a clear case. "Impossibility" isn't necessarily the fact that the game can or can't be played in Jonesboro, but rather whether all parties are able to fulfill all aspects of the agreement and if this is a force majeure situation. Miami could argue that it is a force majeure situation because the fact that they could arrive to play the game doesn't mean that they'd be able to return home. We can argue whether or not it would actually be safer for Miami players to be in Jonesboro when a hurricane is hitting Florida, but regardless of how one feels about those circumstances, Miami could probably reasonably demonstrate that it would incur additional costs for lodging those players longer, re-chartering a jet for a different date, and other expenses that would have not come up but for the force majeure situation. Was Arkansas State offering to meet any of those additional costs that Miami would have incurred (particularly since many of these college football scheduling agreements have fairly specific expense reimbursement clauses)? If so, then Arkansas State might have more of a case. However, if Arkansas State is just relying upon a liquidated damages clause in this situation, claiming that the game could have been played, and stating that the force majeure clause doesn't apply, I don't think that would hold up.

The practical nature of these situations is that the parties will meet somewhere in the middle (e.g. the liquidated damages amount minus the expenses that Miami would have incurred by having to stay additional days in Jonesboro) because neither party has a 100% clear cut case.

Right now I'm hearing Miami's position on damages is sue us.
Inconvenient and impossible aren't the same thing.

RE: Miami at Arkansas St canceled: won't be made up - 4x4hokies - 09-06-2017 12:50 PM

I would want to be packing up my valuables and pets and getting my vehicles to higher ground. There are probably a lot of players with families nearby that will be wanting to help their family prepare. The coaches will want to make sure their families are evacuated.

Seems pretty crazy to me that after what we saw Harvey do to Houston you all think it's as simple as jetting out of town, waiting a day, then coming back.