CSNbbs
Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith (/thread-826237.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - salukiblue - 09-05-2017 11:12 AM

http://tsdmemphis.com/news/2017/sep/02/tsd-interview-tubby-smith/

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - snowtiger - 09-05-2017 11:44 AM

All in all a nice enough interview. Smooth, well written. He pretty much laid it out there.

1. He is very experienced and knows that being patient is the only way to get there. 2. He is gonna get the best recruits we can get. 3. the AAC is competitive and that's why our team hit a wall at the end of the year. 4. He didn't know till April that our best guys weren't coming back. 5. Chad getting hurt was one of the biggest problems

LES: On sports talk radio, we hear chatter about, “If the Memphis Tigers are recruiting players from junior colleges, then that’s a step back in terms of looking for the talent.” But clearly, you’re seeing something at the junior college level and obviously, in these specific players. What are you seeing in these players and who do you think is maybe gonna be a breakout for you this year?

Coach Smith: Well, we’re gonna recruit the best players we can. Obviously, we needed help right away with the departure of five guys that would have returned on this team. It was late in the season we didn’t find this out until April.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Tiger1983 - 09-05-2017 11:45 AM

Good find, thanks.

It is good reading Tubby performing PR duties. Perhaps he does it more than commonly realized.

Tubby would be wise to avoid criticizing fans for impatience. We know Tiger history and we know what it takes for success and what should be accomplished after three years on the job.

Tubby highlighted our depth and I suspect it will be featured in his strategy and tactics.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Tiger87 - 09-05-2017 04:56 PM

I ran into Pooh at Gibson's Donuts this weekend. Nice guy and good looking family. He was talking to many and the place was packed. I told him regardless of some of you message board yahoo's, many of us support him.

Okay, I really didn't call you guys out, but it was implied.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - snowtiger - 09-05-2017 06:17 PM

Dang . You shoulda told him to photochop out the crotch grab.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - 72Tiger - 09-05-2017 07:01 PM

Is the Tri-State defender a superhero, an all season tire, or a newspaper?

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - M1T4 - 09-05-2017 07:11 PM

(09-05-2017 07:01 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Is the Tri-State defender a superhero, an all season tire, or a newspaper?

Why not both

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - tigerlands - 09-05-2017 07:18 PM

Hey, we are not allowed to criticize that entity. Stick to bashing the CA.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Chicago23 - 09-05-2017 10:37 PM

I really think this team is going to shock a lot of people!!!!

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Tiger1983 - 09-06-2017 06:49 AM

(09-05-2017 10:37 PM)Chicago23 Wrote:  I really think this team is going to shock a lot of people!!!!

I hope we will be shocked in a good way. 03-wink

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - TIGERCITY - 09-06-2017 09:25 AM

(09-05-2017 10:37 PM)Chicago23 Wrote:  I really think this team is going to shock a lot of people!!!!

Yep -- all our eggs are in that *hope for a huge surprise* basket.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - BinghamptonNed - 09-06-2017 10:23 AM

(09-06-2017 09:25 AM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  

I'm afraid many on this board are so invested in their negative narrative that they will be miserable with a successful season 03-drunk

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Tiger1983 - 09-06-2017 11:00 AM

(09-06-2017 10:23 AM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

I'm afraid many on this board are so invested in their negative narrative that they will be miserable with a successful season 03-drunk

Yes, those without unquestioned faith in Tubby spend considerable time and treasure on the Tigers because they want failure.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - snowtiger - 09-06-2017 11:16 AM

I've been around this forum long enough to know that you, Stammers, Saluki and I, plus all the others who are not unequivocally on the Tubby Train, will be very happy when this program looks good again --no matter who is the head coach.

FML I'd even take Pearl if we could whip that boa into some semblance of a loyal human being. lol

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - 450bench - 09-06-2017 12:10 PM

Unequivocally on the "Tubby Train"...interesting...not sure who you're talking about since the guy has been here for 1 season...some of us are very simply wanting to give the team/staff a chance, like in year freaking 2, before formulating an opinion either way...

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Joe1 - 09-06-2017 12:56 PM

(09-06-2017 12:10 PM)450bench Wrote:  Unequivocally on the "Tubby Train"...interesting...not sure who you're talking about since the guy has been here for 1 season...some of us are very simply wanting to give the team/staff a chance, like in year freaking 2, before formulating an opinion either way...

Bingo!

It's baffling to me how many times and ways some of us try to say what you just said, and yet it doesn't register or take. It's either the said person reads your post and doesn't understand what some of us have written, or they read the post and somehow they don't believe our words and we get tossed in the "I love Tubby so much he can do no wrong and I'll defend him to the end" camp. It's very strange.

Good post anyway Bench.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Joe1 - 09-06-2017 01:01 PM

(09-06-2017 10:23 AM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  

I don't think it's "many" like you said, but I do think there are a handful, and they would never admit it, even though they pretend to say otherwise. Actually admitting it should be easy since everyone here is an anonymous person typing behind a keyboard and or a cell phone with a fake name.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - snowtiger - 09-06-2017 01:12 PM

Don't think Tubby or Pastner. Forget blame.

Think money and how our whole BB program is in jeopardy of making any without excitement.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - Stammers - 09-06-2017 01:29 PM

(09-06-2017 12:56 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  
(09-06-2017 12:10 PM)450bench Wrote:  Unequivocally on the "Tubby Train"...interesting...not sure who you're talking about since the guy has been here for 1 season...some of us are very simply wanting to give the team/staff a chance, like in year freaking 2, before formulating an opinion either way...

Bingo!

It's baffling to me how many times and ways some of us try to say what you just said, and yet it doesn't register or take. It's either the said person reads your post and doesn't understand what some of us have written, or they read the post and somehow they don't believe our words and we get tossed in the "I love Tubby so much he can do no wrong and I'll defend him to the end" camp. It's very strange.

Good post anyway Bench.

It is equally baffling how it doesn't register with some, how much long term damage Tubby has done to the program in only one season.

RE: Tri-State Defender interview with Tubby Smith - macgar32 - 09-06-2017 01:30 PM

(09-06-2017 11:16 AM)snowtiger Wrote:  I've been around this forum long enough to know that you, Stammers, Saluki and I, plus all the others who are not unequivocally on the Tubby Train, will be very happy when this program looks good again --no matter who is the head coach.

FML I'd even take Pearl if we could whip that boa into some semblance of a loyal human being. lol

Again...People hate to be wrong...There will be many on here crowing and celebrating being right if we are bad this year and pointing to any negative item or instance they can if we are good.

Take that for what it is worth.