CSNbbs
Forum Etiquette - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Forum Etiquette (/thread-826163.html)

Pages: 1 2

Forum Etiquette - Tribal - 09-04-2017 03:57 PM

In golf there are rules and, some would say more importantly, etiquette. I'd like us to do what we can to improve in the etiquette department. Us fans are a feisty bunch and we all love our Tribe...stooping to the level of [other fanbases] is not what we want.

Let's avoid signaling out student-athletes in a malicious manner. Quite frankly, it's absurd to say a D1 college athlete is garbage, can't throw 5 yards, doesn't belong on the field, etc.

If you want to drill a coach, be (wo)man enough to write to him or her directly. Criticizing staff is fair game but, in my view, accomplishes nothing unless you're willing to contact them directly. I have a problem with our support for men's basketball. I bitched about it here, then wrote to three people in our AD to express the same.

I think we do a great job of keeping it civil 99% of the time. I've noticed we tend to slip when our emotions are in full tilt. We're all upset when our Tribe loses...we're on the same page...keep perspective, talk about your concerns, and avoid attacking players.

Go Tribe!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: Forum Etiquette - tribe64 - 09-04-2017 06:31 PM

(09-04-2017 03:57 PM)Tribal Wrote:  In golf there are rules and, some would say more importantly, etiquette. I'd like us to do what we can to improve in the etiquette department. Us fans are a feisty bunch and we all love our Tribe...stooping to the level of [other fanbases] is not what we want.

Let's avoid signaling out student-athletes in a malicious manner. Quite frankly, it's absurd to say a D1 college athlete is garbage, can't throw 5 yards, doesn't belong on the field, etc.

If you want to drill a coach, be (wo)man enough to write to him or her directly. Criticizing staff is fair game but, in my view, accomplishes nothing unless you're willing to contact them directly. I have a problem with our support for men's basketball. I bitched about it here, then wrote to three people in our AD to express the
I think we do a great job of keeping it civil 99% of the time. I've noticed we tend to slip when our emotions are in full tilt. We're all upset when our Tribe loses...we're on the same page...keep perspective, talk about your concerns, and avoid attacking players.

Go Tribe!

Thank you. A lot of what I read on here is totally disgusting. These kids are trying as hard as they can. If for whatever reason they do not succeed it is because the opposing team generally has more talent and not for lack of effort.

RE: Forum Etiquette - soccerguy315 - 09-04-2017 10:24 PM

gosh I hope our coaches do not listen to anyone on here or anyone that writes them directly.

If they do, we are in bad shape.

RE: Forum Etiquette - Zorch - 09-05-2017 02:44 PM

(09-04-2017 03:57 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Let's avoid signaling out student-athletes in a malicious manner. Quite frankly, it's absurd to say a D1 college athlete is garbage, can't throw 5 yards, doesn't belong on the field, etc.

I have debated with myself since yesterday about whether or not to respond to this post. I finally decided that I needed to. Is it ever a good idea to call out the Moderator? Probably not, but here goes:

Tribefbfan explained in Post 434 of the UVa game thread that Jack Armstrong's tweets concerned West Virginia and comments made about Will Grier by fans. Unfortunately, that explanation was not in Tribal's original post (421) and the explanation came too late after I had already responded to Tribal. So, all I knew was that Tribal was posting a reference to unknowledgeable fans, and doing it in the UVa thread which had already had numerous posts by fans (including me) espousing how to save the program and solve world hunger. So how was I supposed to know that Armstrong was tweeting about WV? (I don't have Twitter, thank god!)

The reason that I think Tribal bears some culpability here is: Why did you post Armstrong's tweet at all? What purpose did it serve? And why did you post it in the thread about the UVa game? My only guess is because you agreed with Armstrong's comment about fans and thought that it applied to various posts/posters in the UVa thread. But to my mind, it was kind of incendiary (at least, it turned out that way). Also, to back up my point, I noticed that in the "Norfolk State - Game 2" thread that TribePride52 posted a link and said "Jimmye confirms that Tommy will get the nod at NSU" (Post 5). You (Tribal) (Post 6) then responded: "And, here we go ....". To me, that sounds like you are not only expecting but are inviting more comments (about McKee) such as were already seen in the UVa thread. So, Tribal, I truly bear no ill will but I think that your own posts served to ratchet up the tension on the board.

To Tribe21 and another poster (I think) who flamed me for "calling out" Armstrong for making only one catch in the game: I did not call him out for one catch; I called him out for knocking fans (and, evidently, that is what his tweet did do). The reference ("Perhaps Armstrong should catch more than one ball in a big game before knocking any fans") to one catch was an attempt (apparently unsuccessful) to make the point that Armstrong does not have the "street credibility" to call out the fans. If he was LeBron James or Tom Brady or (closer to home) Marcus Thornton then, yes, he can get away with saying more sensitive or controversial things. However, Armstrong is an average, serviceable wideout who I hope progresses into an above average (or great) receiver who helps the Tribe win many games. And so, to Jack Armstrong, I apologize if you took offense to what I (mistakenly) thought was an innocuous comment and I will certainly try to not make such comments in future.

Also, Tribe21, you must be some big honcho because you suggested (Post 435) that the thread be shut down and voila, it was so.

Thanks, all, for your time and attention. Now, on to another reply that I have been itching to write ....

RE: Forum Etiquette - Tribal - 09-05-2017 02:57 PM

Being a mod doesn't protect me from anything.

I simply copied a player's tweet because it reaffirmed what I already know...most fans don't know **** but act like they know more than a guy who has coached at the college level for 40 years.

I posted "here we go..." because I know you experts well enough to know you wouldn't let it go. You all are out for McKee's head and nothing will stop you.

Seriously, give me what you have...im not a 19 yo.

RE: Forum Etiquette - Zorch - 09-05-2017 02:59 PM

(09-04-2017 06:31 PM)tribe64 Wrote:  These kids are trying as hard as they can. If for whatever reason they do not succeed it is because the opposing team generally has more talent and not for lack of effort.

Tribe64 and several other posters have said several variations of "These kids are trying as hard as they can". Okay, but to be blunt about it, trying hard is a GIVEN. Of course, all these kids are trying as hard as they can; if they are not (especially in game 1) then we would need a coaching overhaul. So, the real question is (given that they are trying as hard as they can) is what do we need to do to turn effort into winning execution?

My response to the second sentence quoted above is: Elon 2016. Elon certainly did not have more talent last year (or any year) and any of us who saw that game last year would probably criticize the Tribe's effort (and execution). I'm sure that Jimmye Laycock would be the first one to do so, after that loss.

So, if/when we question the game plan, or coaching strategy, it is because we are trying to find ways to turn that effort into winning execution.

RE: Forum Etiquette - Zorch - 09-05-2017 03:01 PM

(09-05-2017 02:57 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Being a mod doesn't protect me from anything.

I simply copied a player's tweet because it reaffirmed what I already know...most fans don't know **** but act like they know more than a guy who has coached at the college level for 40 years.

I posted "here we go..." because I know you experts well enough to know you wouldn't let it go. You all are out for McKee's head and nothing will stop you.

Thanks for the response and explanations. I thought that you were at the GW soccer game?

RE: Forum Etiquette - TribePride91 - 09-05-2017 03:03 PM

I went back during lunch today and looked at the NC State thread from a year ago. We, as a bunch, were predominantly negative about that result as well and were extremely hard on Cluely. The first game is always particularly difficult because we have sometimes unreasonable expectations given past success and there is high energy for the start of the season. No player or coach should spend any significant time reviewing our instant reactions in this social media age. There were similar comments for the VT game as well in game. After pausing and reflecting for a few days, the performance was a lot like the 2011 UVA Game. I think some of us were hoping for the 2009 or 2015 game where we attacked a lot more. But, the defense was encouraging, especially without Swinton. Hooper also did a good job and several of the new players looked good. Hopefully, we will play well and improve each of the next 3 weeks prior to the extremely tough final 7 games.

I am guilty of some criticism myself. I once posted that Omar should call the MonStars and ask for his talent back during one rough game. I really enjoyed Omar and think he was an excellent player for us. He represented the College well and I expect he enjoyed all 4 years as a student at W&M. Hopefully, he was not offended by my in-game comment. As for any complaints of the coaching, I think we can post things and we are open to criticism if we do. Clearly, they have a plan and know more about the plays and players than we do. I actually enjoy the perspective from each of you. If the coaches pay any attention to any of it, then we have more issues than I think we do. Coach Laycock and Shaver have given us enough success that we believe it will continue and we almost expect it. Thanks to everyone for their passion and support of all things Tribe. My daughter is certainly enjoying her time already at W&M. Looking forward to being there for multiple football and basketball games this year and maybe even some other sports too. Thanks to Tribal for running the site and to many of you for the thoughtful, fun and insightful comments each week.

RE: Forum Etiquette - WMTribe90 - 09-05-2017 03:25 PM

I've never been so disappointed to be a Tribe fan than when I read the UVA game thread. Never thought I'd see the day when so many WM posters sounded off like a bunch of entitled JMU fans. To read the comments, you'd think we were 40-point favorites and didn't show up to play. Not one kid on our roster was offered by UVA. Its the equivalent of a pickup game where one team gets to pick the first 85 players. Overall, the team played hard and competed and I'm proud of their effort. Lot of positives and certainly some things to improve upon, but the team and some individual players, especially McKee, did not deserve the vitriol on display in that thread. We can all get emotional in the moment, but if you can't post anything positive, or at least constructive, then maybe wait a day before posting or stick to berating highly paid pro athletes, not hardworking student athletes that represent our school so well.

RE: Forum Etiquette - nj alum - 09-05-2017 03:54 PM

Geesh, this "pure and white as the driven snow" reaction stuff is as bad as the alleged offense that started it all.

:-)

RE: Forum Etiquette - Tribal - 09-05-2017 04:06 PM

(09-05-2017 03:01 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(09-05-2017 02:57 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Being a mod doesn't protect me from anything.

Thanks for the response and explanations. I thought that you were at the GW soccer game?
I was...with lil Tribal.[Image: 14c86382b7ef899964b309530ecb93d3.jpg][Image: 3a59a31d48bb06b75cfd5b59ef8a7743.jpg][Image: de6f28340e3916af2fb48573c528ee67.jpg][Image: 6e4f18a3a7ad65436dc942029edf8ece.jpg][Image: 6134e145c7fc38f1f53128c8628c39de.jpg][Image: b63ead484ddcf631a8042a173f192ce7.jpg]

RE: Forum Etiquette - WMTribe90 - 09-05-2017 04:17 PM

(09-05-2017 03:54 PM)nj alum Wrote:  Geesh, this "pure and white as the driven snow" reaction stuff is as bad as the alleged offense that started it all.

:-)

I've been posting on this board and its predecessor (CAAZone) for over 15 years, which makes me no more important than the guy/gal the signed up yesterday. However, in the past few years there has been a sharp decline in level of discourse and a sharp increase in the number of posts that are negative in tone or call out or deride individual players on this board. I only hope our fans can avoid the race to the bottom that is plaguing so much of college athletics and sportsmanship in general.

I don't know about "pure and white as driven snow", but I never call out individual players for their play on the field (not accusing NJ of this, just responding to your comment). While coaches are "in bounds" in my opinion, I think those that feel they the need or believe they have the right and/or expertise to anonymously criticize and question the coaches in the middle of a game represent themselves poorly. We're all passionate, I certainly do my fair share of cursing and yelling at the TV screen, but I now have more sense than to post on a public forum in the heat of the moment.

On to NSU. Go Tribe!

RE: Forum Etiquette - zablenoise - 09-05-2017 06:35 PM

Any chance we can get Tribal to enforce this etiquette in the stands? These boards were nothing compared to the loudmouth Tribe fan behind me at UVA.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

RE: Forum Etiquette - WMInTheBurg - 09-05-2017 06:40 PM

(09-05-2017 06:35 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Any chance we can get Tribal to enforce this etiquette in the stands? These boards were nothing compared to the loudmouth Tribe fan behind me at UVA.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

The stands can be brutal. We get pretty "armchair/Sunday morning" QB like around here, but it's nothing like what I hear from idiots in the stands behind me.

RE: Forum Etiquette - zablenoise - 09-05-2017 07:33 PM

(09-05-2017 06:40 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  The stands can be brutal. We get pretty "armchair/Sunday morning" QB like around here, but it's nothing like what I hear from idiots in the stands behind me.

Seriously. For such a smart school, we certainly pack the bleachers with a bunch of mouth breathers.

RE: Forum Etiquette - Marshall Wythe - 09-05-2017 07:55 PM

I usually lurk on this board more than anything these days, but I felt like I needed to chime in on this topic. I don't think I have been very critical of any individual player or coach in the past, and I know I have called out -- as buffoons -- anyone who thinks we should fire Jimmye or Shaver. I also think some of the comments about our student athletes in the UVa thread were unduly harsh.

But what would be worse than such harsh comments? Banning them.

Student athletes at W&M face much less public criticism than those at other bigger schools (like UVa). I have a feeling they can handle the mild jabs of the ignoramuses on this board.

And the answer for the high and mighty morons who get off on belittling college students while hiding behind a pixellated avatar, is to defend that athlete and identify the offending knuckle dragger appropiately. Censorship is not the answer.

Plus, I have to concede, on occasion -- even the knuckle draggers have a point. If the mod bans such criticism, I - for one - will pay less attention to this board, because a string of unfettered praise is boring and never enlightening.

RE: Forum Etiquette - Tribal - 09-05-2017 08:25 PM

(09-05-2017 07:55 PM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  I usually lurk on this board more than anything these days, but I felt like I needed to chime in on this topic. I don't think I have been very critical of any individual player or coach in the past, and I know I have called out -- as buffoons -- anyone who thinks we should fire Jimmye or Shaver. I also think some of the comments about our student athletes in the UVa thread were unduly harsh.

But what would be worse than such harsh comments? Banning them.

Student athletes at W&M face much less public criticism than those at other bigger schools (like UVa). I have a feeling they can handle the mild jabs of the ignoramuses on this board.

And the answer for the high and mighty morons who get off on belittling college students while hiding behind a pixellated avatar, is to defend that athlete and identify the offending knuckle dragger appropiately. Censorship is not the answer.

Plus, I have to concede, on occasion -- even the knuckle draggers have a point. If the mod bans such criticism, I - for one - will pay less attention to this board, because a string of unfettered praise is boring and never enlightening.
I didn't say a thing about banning people. Not a word. I said, "Let's avoid signaling out student-athletes in a malicious manner." I've banned one person (and only banned him from the Tribe forum); he was a troll from some non-CAA school.

The key word is malicious. What several people wrote on the UVA thread was malicious. Saying a certain QB needs to do a better job getting the ball to receivers seems fair. A player missed a tackle...fair. Saying a guy doesn't belong on a D1 field or couldn't tackle his grandma is malicious.

You wouldn't believe the number of messages I've received over the past couple of years from the occasional poster, to former players, to parents. Some of them, I'm sure, were drunk when they wrote me. I'm trying to find a middle ground.

I'll stand by one thing - we are all smart enough to be critical without being hateful or getting personal.

RE: Forum Etiquette - tribeinexile - 09-05-2017 08:44 PM

Give our real names and contact info when we make comments.

RE: Forum Etiquette - Marshall Wythe - 09-05-2017 08:45 PM

couldn't tackle his grandma is malicious....? ay yi yi yi what is this world coming to? -- Don Martin (who also cannot tackle his grandma)

RE: Forum Etiquette - Tribal - 09-05-2017 08:51 PM

(09-05-2017 08:45 PM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  couldn't tackle his grandma is malicious....? ay yi yi yi what is this world coming to? -- Don Martin (who also cannot tackle his grandma)
The grandma thing was tongue in cheek but you already knew that. I try to answer questions and concerns but I'm done with the UVA thread fiasco.