CSNbbs
PJ Fleck ESPN series. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: PJ Fleck ESPN series. (/thread-825685.html)

PJ Fleck ESPN series. - chess - 08-31-2017 02:15 PM

I have enjoyed watching the PJ Fleck ESPN series.

The amount of resources dedicated to 750 athletes at U of Minnesota is staggering. It seems so wasteful, on one hand, and a total bastardization of the university mission.

I am having trouble with it. My love for college sports seems to be on a decline.

RE: PJ Fleck ESPN series. - Hood-rich - 08-31-2017 02:17 PM

(08-31-2017 02:15 PM)chess Wrote:  I have enjoyed watching the PJ Fleck ESPN series.

The amount of resources dedicated to 750 athletes at U of Minnesota is staggering. It seems so wasteful, on one hand, and a total bastardization of the university mission.

I am having trouble with it. My love for college sports seems to be on a decline.

Never heard of it. Don't watch ESPN. Can you expand on the bold portion of this post?

RE: PJ Fleck ESPN series. - Pony94 - 08-31-2017 02:18 PM

Didn't realize Minnesota played sports

RE: PJ Fleck ESPN series. - chess - 08-31-2017 02:29 PM

(08-31-2017 02:18 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Didn't realize Minnesota played sports

Minnesota is surprised, too. 04-cheers

RE: PJ Fleck ESPN series. - chess - 08-31-2017 02:33 PM

(08-31-2017 02:17 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(08-31-2017 02:15 PM)chess Wrote:  I have enjoyed watching the PJ Fleck ESPN series.

Never heard of it. Don't watch ESPN. Can you expand on the bold portion of this post?

Minnesota is building facilities like every school that is part of the P5(6) is building. With all the sports Minnesota offers, there are 750 athletes (football, basketball, hockey, volleyball, etc...). These athletes are living in a dream compound on the campus. The money being thrown around is amazing.

When watching, I keep asking myself, "How is this part of the university mission?" Why are students asked to support a program competing with this amount of resources?

And the kicker is- Minnesota is catching up. Many schools are already spending on this level.

RE: PJ Fleck ESPN series. - Hood-rich - 08-31-2017 02:54 PM

(08-31-2017 02:33 PM)chess Wrote:  
(08-31-2017 02:17 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

Minnesota is building facilities like every school that is part of the P5(6) is building. With all the sports Minnesota offers, there are 750 athletes (football, basketball, hockey, volleyball, etc...). These athletes are living in a dream compound on the campus. The money being thrown around is amazing.

When watching, I keep asking myself, "How is this part of the university mission?" Why are students asked to support a program competing with this amount of resources?

And the kicker is- Minnesota is catching up. Many schools are already spending on this level.

OK, I gotcha. I agree. I believe that it's compeltely absurd for athletes to have special housing facilities / compounds. It creates an us and them / have and have not environment on campus. Add to the fact that MOST revenue sports athletes shouldn't even been in a university. They have had plenty of breaks to start with because they're good at a game.