CSNbbs
NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats (/thread-825263.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - NoDak - 08-27-2017 11:10 AM

Looking rather good - heavy on MWC and Sun Belt schools

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/8/26/16208510/nmsu-football-independent-releases-2018-football-schedule-sun-belt

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - canewton - 08-27-2017 11:22 AM

Playing Liberty twice?

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Pervis_Griffith - 08-27-2017 11:28 AM

Good for them. I'm rooting for 'em. Totally mistreated in all this conference realignment, I hope they thrive as an independent.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - BullsFanInTX - 08-27-2017 11:34 AM

(08-27-2017 11:22 AM)canewton Wrote:  Playing Liberty twice?

Very old news

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Nerdlinger - 08-27-2017 11:42 AM

(08-27-2017 11:28 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Good for them. I'm rooting for 'em. Totally mistreated in all this conference realignment, I hope they thrive as an independent.

I don't know if they were mistreated, per se. They shot themselves in the foot when they left behind full membership in the Sun Belt for the WAC in 2005.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Big Frog II - 08-27-2017 11:53 AM

(08-27-2017 11:42 AM)Nerdlinger Wrote:  
(08-27-2017 11:28 AM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  Good for them. I'm rooting for 'em. Totally mistreated in all this conference realignment, I hope they thrive as an independent.

I don't know if they were mistreated, per se. They shot themselves in the foot when they left behind full membership in the Sun Belt for the WAC in 2005.

Yes, in hindsight a bad move. However, they probably wanted to play schools in the western part of the country so it's hard to fault them. Quite frankly, they or UTEP would make a better addition to the MWC than SJSU.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Nerdlinger - 08-27-2017 11:55 AM

(08-27-2017 11:53 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  

Yes, in hindsight a bad move. However, they probably wanted to play schools int eh western part of the country so it's hard to fault them. Quite frankly, they or UTEP would make a better addition to the MWC than SJSU.

Another issue is their lack of desirability for conferences. If you want the El Paso market, you take UTEP over NMSU. So it's more unfortunate geographic placement than mistreatment.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - chargeradio - 08-27-2017 11:58 AM

I think that's an unfair assessment. Would you fault them for joining today's Mountain West, which is basically a rehash of the WAC from 12 years ago?

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - billings - 08-27-2017 12:01 PM

Man only 5 home games and two are FCS and almost FCS liberty. rough

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Nerdlinger - 08-27-2017 12:29 PM

(08-27-2017 11:58 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  

I think that's an unfair assessment. Would you fault them for joining today's Mountain West, which is basically a rehash of the WAC from 12 years ago?

I'm not so much faulting them for doing so but rather pointing out that they weren't exactly mistreated.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - DoubleRSU - 08-27-2017 12:29 PM

Whether they have 5 home games or not, nobody goes. If fans want more home games, they should attend the ones they got.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Fighting Muskie - 08-27-2017 01:52 PM

Hindsight is 20/20. NMSU thinks of itself first and foremost as a western school so moving to a western league headlined by Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St sounded a lot better than what the Sunbelt had at the time.

I wish UTEP and UNM would understand that letting NMSU into their conferences is not an eminent threat. Plenty of other schools coexist in a conference with another school from their state.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Chappy - 08-27-2017 02:20 PM

(08-27-2017 12:01 PM)billings Wrote:  Man only 5 home games and two are FCS and almost FCS liberty. rough

Wyoming - MWC
New Mexico - MWC
Liberty - FBS Independent
Georgia Southern - Sun Belt
Alcorn State - FCS

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - lance99 - 08-27-2017 02:36 PM

(08-27-2017 01:52 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Hindsight is 20/20. NMSU thinks of itself first and foremost as a western school so moving to a western league headlined by Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St sounded a lot better than what the Sunbelt had at the time.

I wish UTEP and UNM would understand that letting NMSU into their conferences is not an eminent threat. Plenty of other schools coexist in a conference with another school from their state.

IMHO, I do not think that UTEP and New Mexico see them as a threat. They need NMST for OCC Scheduling reasons......

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Nerdlinger - 08-27-2017 02:41 PM

(08-27-2017 01:52 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

Hindsight is 20/20. NMSU thinks of itself first and foremost as a western school so moving to a western league headlined by Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St sounded a lot better than what the Sunbelt had at the time.

Fair enough about their move to the WAC. Regarding UTEP and UNM opposing NMSU membership, if C-USA or the MWC really wanted them, UTEP/UNM would have been outvoted by the rest of the conference. No one is really willing to stick their neck out for NMSU, partly because of their remoteness, at least for the eastern conferences, but also because they just don't really have a strong program. So in a general sense, you might say they were mistreated by the entire realignment process, but not necessarily by any particular school or conference.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Chappy - 08-27-2017 02:49 PM

It's a shame that the Sun Belt didn't take NMSU as a full member. Their Basketball and Baseball would be good assets for the SBC.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - Nerdlinger - 08-27-2017 02:49 PM

(08-27-2017 02:49 PM)Chappy Wrote:  It's a shame that the Sun Belt didn't take NMSU as a full member. Their Basketball and Baseball would be good assets for the SBC.

It's all about the football now. And at the moment, the fewer teams in your conference, the better, from a CFP payout standpoint.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - MissouriStateBears - 08-27-2017 03:21 PM

(08-27-2017 02:49 PM)Chappy Wrote:  It's a shame that the Sun Belt didn't take NMSU as a full member. Their Basketball and Baseball would be good assets for the SBC.

All the new East division Sun Belt members want a bus league.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - NuMexAg - 08-27-2017 04:11 PM

The move from the Sun Belt to the WAC was a no brainer. At the time, UTEP was still in the WAC, plus as others pointed out - NMSU is very much a Western school. The WAC represented an upgrade in competition and a geographically logical home.

For a lot of reasons the move didn't work out. Unfortunate geography (isolated, yet too close to UTEP - so no strong media market), inadequate funding for NMSU football (mostly due to being in a small town in a poor state), significant changes in the world of college football. The poor relationships with UTEP and UNM didn't help either, but were probably not the overriding factor.

RE: NMSU releases it's first independence schedule - congrats - JCMiner - 08-27-2017 04:23 PM

Common sense would be for the MW to take UTEP and NMSU. It would form a nice tight geographical conference.