CSNbbs
OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (http://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+------ Forum: Off Topic (/forum-934.html)
+------ Thread: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... (/thread-825067.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Madison 91 Forever - 08-24-2017 06:24 PM

Goodbye, Jackson, Ashby and Maury Halls.

http://www.breezejmu.org/news/jmu-furthers-discussion-regarding-confederate-monuments/article_712122ca-8819-11e7-9bfa-df378e087d77.html

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Longhorn - 08-24-2017 08:23 PM

Typical Breeze effort (meaning it's about half right). For starters, the Ashby monument does not "honor" Ashby's contributions as a Confederate soldier. It marks the location where he was killed in the Battle of Harrisonburg, a historical event. It also predates ownership by JMU.

OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Potomac - 08-24-2017 08:41 PM

I'm certainly not in favor of touching the ashby death marker. It's in a historical context. It's not different then a museum in that respect.

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - jmu007 - 08-24-2017 10:32 PM

I'm beyond tired of this entire, "issue," personally. A lot of nothing to do about nothing by people with too much time on their hands. I'd prefer JMU just stay out of it but would appear that won't be the case. I seem to recall a really good freshman year course I took at jmu about logical fallacies, I'd imagine the professor of that class has no shortage of material these days.

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Longhorn - 08-25-2017 05:54 AM

(08-24-2017 10:32 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  I'm beyond tired of this entire, "issue," personally. A lot of nothing to do about nothing by people with too much time on their hands. I'd prefer JMU just stay out of it but would appear that won't be the case. I seem to recall a really good freshman year course I took at jmu about logical fallacies, I'd imagine the professor of that class has no shortage of material these days.

Perhaps beginning with your post? 04-cheers

"A lot to do about nothing"? You might want to rethink that line.

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - jmu007 - 08-25-2017 05:57 AM

Haha I was tired. :)

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Longhorn - 08-25-2017 05:57 AM

(08-24-2017 08:41 PM)Potomac Wrote:  I'm certainly not in favor of touching the ashby death marker. It's in a historical context. It's not different then a museum in that respect.

I agree. It's different than the statues erected for purposes unrelated to the ground on which they sit.

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - Dukeman2 - 08-25-2017 06:41 AM

Given Jon Alger would not allow Christian songs at the JMU Christmas Concert.

It seems clear where he is going to land on this matter.

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - HyperDuke - 08-25-2017 07:04 AM

(08-25-2017 06:41 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  Given Jon Alger would not allow Christian songs at the JMU Christmas Concert.

It seems clear where he is going to land on this matter.

There's not one matter. There's a bunch of separate things to consider. If you have one opinion about every single confederate-affiliated name in any setting, you're a moron & part of our country's problem.

From where I sit, there's at least logic behind the push against monuments/statues that glorify the war's losing side. Not saying I agree with that side, because I absolutely don't in certain instances.

That same logic is COMPLETELY absent when ignorant people start talks about tearing down the historical marker where Ashby died. Historical context matters a lot.

I swear, some of the smartest people are absolute morons when it comes to thinking through individual issues & making their own decisions based on facts & logic. Someone has brain-washed them (left & right) into thinking their general political leaning makes these decisions for them. It's really tiring to hear the same stupid tiring talking points from people using no brain-power.

RE: OT: Goodbye Jackson, Ashby, Maury etc etc etc ... - CvilleDukes - 08-25-2017 07:27 AM

(08-24-2017 10:32 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  I'm beyond tired of this entire, "issue," personally. A lot of nothing to do about nothing by people with too much time on their hands. I'd prefer JMU just stay out of it but would appear that won't be the case. I seem to recall a really good freshman year course I took at jmu about logical fallacies, I'd imagine the professor of that class has no shortage of material these days.

+1