CSNbbs
USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! (/thread-825013.html)

USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - GullLake - 08-24-2017 08:38 AM

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-traveler-20170818-story,amp.html

Gads!

The alt-left and the alt-right deserve each other. So much passionate, arrogant, utter-ignorance.

Good thing an Asian guy named "Lee" isn't riding the horse...

Where has America's common sense gone?!

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - Motown Bronco - 08-24-2017 12:52 PM

Jon Stewart's Rally for Sanity festival happened about 7 years too early.

The pool of pragmatic moderates seem to be shrinking by the day. Fueled by social media, too many are scurrying to their boxing ring corners and morphing into cartoonish stereotypes of themselves.

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - GullLake - 08-24-2017 01:08 PM

(08-24-2017 12:52 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Jon Stewart's Rally for Sanity festival happened about 7 years too early.

The pool of pragmatic moderates seem to be shrinking by the day. Fueled by social media, too many are scurrying to their boxing ring corners and morphing into cartoonish stereotypes of themselves.

The "I'm-right-you're-wrong-history-and-the constitution-don't-matter-ideological-absolutists" scare the heck outta me. Both the left and right are equally crazy and, unfortunately, dangerous.

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - wmubroncopilot - 08-24-2017 04:02 PM

I agree that this stuff is ridiculous.

However, equating it to alt righters marching down our streets with Nazi flags?

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - Liam9903 - 08-24-2017 04:57 PM

That was never equated here. At least not that I saw.

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - wmubroncopilot - 08-24-2017 05:17 PM

(08-24-2017 04:57 PM)Liam9903 Wrote:  That was never equated here. At least not that I saw.

Maybe not. But "Both the left and right are equally crazy and, unfortunately, dangerous." would seem to equate them to me.

Admittedly they weren't explicitly equated but when you bring up the "crazy dangerous alt right" at this point in time, guys marching with tiki torches and Nazi flags is what leaps to mind.

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - Dirty Ernie - 08-25-2017 10:24 AM

Traveler does not offend me. 01-wingedeagle

More pertinent and local, "Redskins" is greatly offensive. 05-nono

I suppose USC could change the horses name to Trojan? Although that has some connotations as well. What would Todd do?

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - GullLake - 08-25-2017 11:39 AM

(08-24-2017 05:17 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  
(08-24-2017 04:57 PM)Liam9903 Wrote:  That was never equated here. At least not that I saw.

Maybe not. But "Both the left and right are equally crazy and, unfortunately, dangerous." would seem to equate them to me.

Admittedly they weren't explicitly equated but when you bring up the "crazy dangerous alt right" at this point in time, guys marching with tiki torches and Nazi flags is what leaps to mind.

When you look at the extremes of both the right and left, yes, there absolutely are dangerous "method of operation" similarities despite the polar opposite viewpoints

When protesters march streets chanting "What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? NOW!" and multiple police officers are ambushed and killed execution style (i.e. Dallas), yes, that is ABSOLUTELY as much a concern as the crazies who protested with tiki torches and Nazi flags in Virginia...and tragically took the life of a young woman practicing her first amendment rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqQXmnMr_w8

Both the alt-left and alt-right want to shut-down and censor those with whom they do not agree. Neither respects the Constitution's first amendment and both want an authoritarian-style government.

Remember University of Missouri?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kVGtqp7usw

I could provide numerous other examples, including, obviously, Cal-Berkeley.

The "alt-left" has no moral high ground, unfortunately.

Americans need to be able to engage in dialog and re-create a center base.
As Jack Kemp once said, "It is about more than just beating our opponent. It is about offering better ideas and solutions." Diversity of thought and free speech are critical for our Nation and neither the alt-right/left want or respect them.

We need to stop being ideological absolutists and hating each other ...unless, of course, you are a "Fleckstein".....

In an attempt to take this to a lighter-side, I offer these two videos from Bill Maher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EclzaQYZPRw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1r9_tgRgRk

Cheers!

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - Boca Rocket - 08-27-2017 05:11 PM

(08-25-2017 10:24 AM)Dirty Ernie Wrote:  Traveler does not offend me. 01-wingedeagle

More pertinent and local, "Redskins" is greatly offensive. 05-nono

I suppose USC could change the horses name to Trojan? Although that has some connotations as well. What would Todd do?

Redskin potatoes are not least bit offensive.

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - Charm City Bronco - 08-28-2017 08:29 PM

(08-24-2017 04:02 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  However, equating it to alt righters marching down our streets with Nazi flags?

Thank you. So tired of Trumpster and bottom feeding "conservatives" pretending to be the true victims in an era of ICE destroying families, Trump pardoning a racist sheriff who killed people and, yes, white supremacists marking through city streets in the name of our president.

RE: USC horses' name perceived as racist?! Tak'n it waaay too far! - ESSSS - 09-03-2017 07:23 AM

(08-28-2017 08:29 PM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(08-24-2017 04:02 PM)wmubroncopilot Wrote:  However, equating it to alt righters marching down our streets with Nazi flags?

Thank you. So tired of Trumpster and bottom feeding "conservatives" pretending to be the true victims.....

Apparently it's not just Trump and the "Deplorables"....

I'm sure Rahm Emanuel is looking on with approval