CSNbbs
New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today (/thread-823602.html)

Pages: 1 2

New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - WesternBlazer - 08-08-2017 10:01 AM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/celebratory_announcement_set_f.html

The USL is one division below Major League Soccer in American soccer's four-tier division system, and has more than doubled in size since 2014. The new franchise could play at Regions Field or UAB's soccer stadium, BBVA Compass Field, before a permanent home is built.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - Blazer4Life14 - 08-08-2017 10:08 AM

Excellent. Hopefully they go to BBVA Compass Field. Nothing is worse than watching a soccer game in a baseball stadium.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - hooverblazer - 08-08-2017 10:47 AM

(08-08-2017 10:08 AM)Blazer4Life14 Wrote:  Excellent. Hopefully they go to BBVA Compass Field. Nothing is worse than watching a soccer game in a baseball stadium.

I agree. The USL has said before they prefer soccer specific stadiums, but the article did mention the Reno team plays in the minor league baseball stadium there. I would think there would too much overlap with the Baron's schedule to make Regions Field work. In addition to their actual schedules you'd have to have time in between the soccer and baseball games to convert the stadium back and forth.

I think it would be great if the USL team locates at BBVA Compass Field and partners with UAB on funding the planned phase II upgrades of adding the other set of stands with the press box.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - uabblazer2012 - 08-08-2017 11:46 AM

Anyone know what this means for the Hammers?

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - 58-56 - 08-08-2017 12:42 PM

Do they have relegation/promotion?

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - WesternBlazer - 08-08-2017 12:43 PM

https://twitter.com/RailroadPark/status/894973098482692096

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - uabblazer2012 - 08-08-2017 12:49 PM

(08-08-2017 12:42 PM)58-56 Wrote:  Do they have relegation/promotion?

No.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - 58-56 - 08-08-2017 12:52 PM

But maybe someday:

http://www.espnfc.us/miami-fc/story/3171424/miami-fc-taking-promotion-relegation-fight-to-court-of-arbitration-for-sport

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - mixduptransistor - 08-08-2017 01:36 PM

(08-08-2017 12:52 PM)58-56 Wrote:  But maybe someday:

http://www.espnfc.us/miami-fc/story/3171424/miami-fc-taking-promotion-relegation-fight-to-court-of-arbitration-for-sport

That has about as much chance as happening as I do becoming Supreme Glactic Ruler of Nebulon. Money will ensure that MLS doesn't have to do anything they don't want to, even up to and including pulling out of international participation

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - uabblazer2012 - 08-08-2017 01:47 PM

There is a possibility of playing an MLS team if the USL team makes it far enough in the Open Cup.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - WesternBlazer - 08-08-2017 07:33 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/08/professional_soccer_set_for_bi.html

"We don't have a place to play yet," Logan said, "but we want to make it the right decision."

The USL believes, though, that downtown Birmingham is the ideal location.

"Birmingham city planning leaders, alongside key USL and USL Birmingham representatives, are working together on the most effective field solution, with a downtown location for the stadium the preferred option," the USL's official press release said.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - rook360 - 08-08-2017 08:04 PM

how does soccer season over lap with football?
is it feasible to make a stadium for both USL and UAB to share or does it seem that this stadium will be solely for the USL?

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - Blazer4Life14 - 08-08-2017 08:14 PM

The USL season runs from late March through early October I believe. Of course, with them adding teams almost daily it seems, that could change.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - BlazerMatt - 08-08-2017 08:15 PM

The idea is that they would be a tenant for the same stadium that UAB is hoping bham builds. Whoever paid to be primary tenant would get to dictate schedule during the fall months that football and soccer overlap.

I'm not worried about having to play a game in a weird time-slot because the imaginary soccer team is the imaginary primary tenant in the imaginary stadium just yet.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - mixduptransistor - 08-08-2017 08:51 PM

More real, tangible tenants and uses for the stadium just make it that much more likely it will be built, and that it will be a reasonable size and not some 70,000 seat monstrosity

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - BlazintheATL - 08-08-2017 11:00 PM

This is pretty awesome for Bham. What is the capacity of BBVA compass field? I know Charleston's soccer stadium hold about 5k.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 08-08-2017 11:23 PM

It has been told by those who know about the needs of a soccer stadium that the seating for football will be moved too far back from the sidelines to make room for soccer play. Is this a true problem for a shared venue?

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - WesternBlazer - 08-08-2017 11:31 PM

(08-08-2017 11:23 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  It has been told by those who know about the needs of a soccer stadium that the seating for football will be moved too far back from the sidelines to make room for soccer play. Is this a true problem for a shared venue?

Legion Field has hosted numerous soccer matches and any new field would not have the red area that surrounds the field. So any new field would have the stands closer than Legion Field...

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - hooverblazer - 08-09-2017 12:04 AM

(08-08-2017 11:00 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  This is pretty awesome for Bham. What is the capacity of BBVA compass field? I know Charleston's soccer stadium hold about 5k.

Not sure on current bleachers, but I believe the plan was for it to be around 5k after the phase II was done.

RE: New BHam Soccer team to be announced today - hooverblazer - 08-09-2017 12:10 AM

(08-08-2017 08:51 PM)mixduptransistor Wrote:  More real, tangible tenants and uses for the stadium just make it that much more likely it will be built, and that it will be a reasonable size and not some 70,000 seat monstrosity

Exactly. Just another reason to pursue the appropriately sized open air stadium. This would give the stadium a regular tenant from March-November between the USL and UAB.

So I guess they'll play their 2018 transitional year at the current Sicard Hollow fields and then move. But even they do eventually plan to play in the new Uptown stadium, it won't be ready be March 2019. So they'd either have to play their first professional season at Sicard Hollow (yuck) or find a temporary home for *probably* one season at either Regions Field or BBVA Compass.