CSNbbs
Change in StarNews coverage - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Change in StarNews coverage (/thread-823342.html)

Pages: 1 2

Change in StarNews coverage - AlexRileySN - 08-04-2017 04:06 PM

Hey everyone, it's Alex Riley over at the StarNews. Just wanted to drop you a note as we're having a shift in where "blog" material goes. Last school year, everything went to Facebook Notes on our page. It's now reverting back to the The Dub Hub blog. So, with that in mind, head to The Dub Hub for all the blog stuff. Everything I write for the blog or regular website, as well as videos, photos and anything else, will still be available on the Facebook page so don't forget to visit there or find me on Twitter - @AlexRileySN. Thanks and talk to you soon.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - billthebighawksfan - 08-04-2017 11:43 PM

I really enjoy the Beat and the Beard! Y'all are terrific. I enjoy the UNCW sports talk, especially UNCW hoops and baseball and also where to eat segment. Some of it was really entertaining. I especially liked the episode when the Beard was talking about going to a place at Wrightsville Beach and having a good time, but had concern that the bar area was very close to where families were also there too. It bothered him that they were pounded some beers with small kids around. It was an interesting dynamic that was slightly uncomfortable reliving, but one that all of us have encountered as a young man that was out and about. It's cool to here about how y'all feel about things in general. I like hearing the fight song to begin. And, you really need to expand how y'all feel about the WWE and other wrestling stuff...that's always good.

UNCW is very blessed to have such good programs such as men's hoops and baseball. This is a special place that for some reason rises UNCW's programs to levels that other similar programs seem to never get to. Yes, the location does make it special,no doubt, but there's more to it. Growing up in Wilmington and in the shadow of such great basketball and baseball programs, there's always been a hunger and I really think that has an impact on the passion that the fans have. It's a really crazy place, the only game in town and it makes for a great experience.

Keep up the "Beat and the Beard" will you? Its a cool show. The CAA baseball tourney focused on "Superfan Beard" when he was doing his crazy dance about the 7th inning. That was fun to see and it was cool that he had a sidekick along with him. The announcers couldn't believe it, but we could, we're all in and glad to have such cool and great fans!

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - AlexRileySN - 08-08-2017 03:04 PM

We're not going anywhere. Head over to Facebook.com/StarNewsUNCW on Wednesday at noon. Mike and I will be talking with the new strength and conditioning director. We're also going to record the audio and put it in the podcast.

(08-04-2017 11:43 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  I really enjoy the Beat and the Beard! Y'all are terrific. I enjoy the UNCW sports talk, especially UNCW hoops and baseball and also where to eat segment. Some of it was really entertaining. I especially liked the episode when the Beard was talking about going to a place at Wrightsville Beach and having a good time, but had concern that the bar area was very close to where families were also there too. It bothered him that they were pounded some beers with small kids around. It was an interesting dynamic that was slightly uncomfortable reliving, but one that all of us have encountered as a young man that was out and about. It's cool to here about how y'all feel about things in general. I like hearing the fight song to begin. And, you really need to expand how y'all feel about the WWE and other wrestling stuff...that's always good.

UNCW is very blessed to have such good programs such as men's hoops and baseball. This is a special place that for some reason rises UNCW's programs to levels that other similar programs seem to never get to. Yes, the location does make it special,no doubt, but there's more to it. Growing up in Wilmington and in the shadow of such great basketball and baseball programs, there's always been a hunger and I really think that has an impact on the passion that the fans have. It's a really crazy place, the only game in town and it makes for a great experience.

Keep up the "Beat and the Beard" will you? Its a cool show. The CAA baseball tourney focused on "Superfan Beard" when he was doing his crazy dance about the 7th inning. That was fun to see and it was cool that he had a sidekick along with him. The announcers couldn't believe it, but we could, we're all in and glad to have such cool and great fans!

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - Seahawkhoops - 08-09-2017 07:02 AM

Sounds like good ole Star News needs more subscriptions

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - B_Hawk06 - 08-09-2017 08:55 AM

I'll be brutally honest here, I live out of town as most of you already know. Going to some of those Facebook links or even Star News links through this site sometimes that require a subscription... not happening. As much as I love Seahawk sports, I give to the Seahawk Club and that's about it for that. I have four little mouths to feed, and I'm not gonna drop money on an out of town local newspaper subscription.

I loved all of Alex's fb live feeds. Hope stuff like that continues during the season as well.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - AlexRileySN - 08-09-2017 03:37 PM

To be fair - I want you to subscribe to the StarNews, at least digitally. But, if an out of town paper doesn't work, subscribe locally. Might not be any UNCW content, but at least you'll keep my fellow scribes from starving. #SupportLocalMedia (And yes, the Facebook Live pregame/postgame stuff will be back for basketball season)

(08-09-2017 08:55 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I'll be brutally honest here, I live out of town as most of you already know. Going to some of those Facebook links or even Star News links through this site sometimes that require a subscription... not happening. As much as I love Seahawk sports, I give to the Seahawk Club and that's about it for that. I have four little mouths to feed, and I'm not gonna drop money on an out of town local newspaper subscription.

I loved all of Alex's fb live feeds. Hope stuff like that continues during the season as well.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - tke75hawk - 08-09-2017 03:43 PM

The star news is not a good paper.it does not cover the local area news and sports very good and I have come close to dropping the paper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - tke75hawk - 08-09-2017 03:48 PM

I also feel the same way about local tv stations.1 1/2 hrs news or more at night and they should cover more local events instead of repeating what is on national news.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - solohawks - 08-09-2017 05:10 PM

To be fair the Star News has always done a tremendous job with UNCW basketball and Alex is carrying on that tradition

Look at other teams in our conference. Outside of Charleston and the VA duo the local coverage they get is pretty much zilch. Most mid majors would love to get the local attention we get

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - tke75hawk - 08-09-2017 05:58 PM

I am talking about other news in the Wilmington area,plus the cost of star news went up.the paper is also asking for volunteers to report on high school sports

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - B_Hawk06 - 08-09-2017 08:45 PM

(08-09-2017 05:10 PM)solohawks Wrote:  To be fair the Star News has always done a tremendous job with UNCW basketball and Alex is carrying on that tradition

Look at other teams in our conference. Outside of Charleston and the VA duo the local coverage they get is pretty much zilch. Most mid majors would love to get the local attention we get

Alex has done a tremendous job. So much so that it puts me on the fence on paying for a subscription being out of town. It's pricey though, just saying.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - solohawks - 08-09-2017 08:58 PM

(08-09-2017 08:45 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(08-09-2017 05:10 PM)solohawks Wrote:  To be fair the Star News has always done a tremendous job with UNCW basketball and Alex is carrying on that tradition

Alex has done a tremendous job. So much so that it puts me on the fence on paying for a subscription being out of town. It's pricey though, just saying.
Think of all the money you save now that you have a roku

Although you might need to use that for an air mattress since the wife is now unhappy 04-cheers

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - AlexRileySN - 08-10-2017 01:42 PM

Really appreciate the kind words fellas. Always nice to know the stuff you write is actually being read. Hopefully the teams give me more to write about as school takes back in.

tke75hawk - as to your mention of the asking folks for help covering high school sports, we've always tried to maintain a strong list of stringers to assist us with prep coverage, since there's so many area schools. Just like everything, some years we have a lot of quality help, some years we don't. Our pool of freelancers has dwindled in recent years (kids graduating high school/college, folks moving out of the area or into other roles, etc.), so we were seeing if there were any folks out there who wanted to lend a hand. We actually had some really great responses and are hoping they can help us cover the games our full-time staff can't make it to. Can't be in two places at once (trust me, I've tried).

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - B_Hawk06 - 08-10-2017 06:48 PM

(08-10-2017 01:42 PM)AlexRileySN Wrote:  Really appreciate the kind words fellas. Always nice to know the stuff you write is actually being read. Hopefully the teams give me more to write about as school takes back in.

tke75hawk - as to your mention of the asking folks for help covering high school sports, we've always tried to maintain a strong list of stringers to assist us with prep coverage, since there's so many area schools. Just like everything, some years we have a lot of quality help, some years we don't. Our pool of freelancers has dwindled in recent years (kids graduating high school/college, folks moving out of the area or into other roles, etc.), so we were seeing if there were any folks out there who wanted to lend a hand. We actually had some really great responses and are hoping they can help us cover the games our full-time staff can't make it to. Can't be in two places at once (trust me, I've tried).

I'd propose SN08, but he'll probably claim some sort of conflict of interests blah blah blah. I'd counter his future claim with writing under another name. Just sayin...

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - sctvman - 08-11-2017 07:14 PM

UNCW gets the best coverage of any team in the CAA. You guys are pretty lucky. I've heard many of the Beat and the Beard episodes and it is a good podcast. There's not many mid-majors with a podcast like UNCW's. It helps that Wilmington is a decent two station market, and both stations cover the Seahawks pretty heavily.

There were several times last year that regular season games led the local news. JMU in Harrisonburg is a one-station TV market, and CofC is in a town with two other D1 universities plus heavy S. Carolina and Clemson coverage. Our beat writer also covers the ECHL hockey team and the USL soccer team.

CofC will probably get more coverage this year with the Chad Holbrook baseball hire. He is a very-well known name locally because he was at USC, which is pretty much the most popular spring sports team here. A lot of the Gamecock fans will come out to watch him coach.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - B_Hawk06 - 08-11-2017 07:39 PM

(08-11-2017 07:14 PM)sctvman Wrote:  UNCW gets the best coverage of any team in the CAA. You guys are pretty lucky. I've heard many of the Beat and the Beard episodes and it is a good podcast. There's not many mid-majors with a podcast like UNCW's. It helps that Wilmington is a decent two station market, and both stations cover the Seahawks pretty heavily.

There were several times last year that regular season games led the local news. JMU in Harrisonburg is a one-station TV market, and CofC is in a town with two other D1 universities plus heavy S. Carolina and Clemson coverage. Our beat writer also covers the ECHL hockey team and the USL soccer team.

CofC will probably get more coverage this year with the Chad Holbrook baseball hire. He is a very-well known name locally because he was at USC, which is pretty much the most popular spring sports team here. A lot of the Gamecock fans will come out to watch him coach.

You make great points, but don't forget we compete in the same tv markets with ACC big timers a couple hours away from Wilmington as well as **I feel dirty mentioning them** ecu. Luckily, ecu's basketball team is comparable to a few Wilmington church league stud squads so we do fairly well during basketball season as far as eastern NC goes.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - geezerhawkdad - 08-11-2017 09:22 PM

UNCW's basketball receives excellent coverage on TV and in print. Wilmington is far enough away from Charlotte and Raleigh that the Hornets and Hurricanes do not dominate the local sports.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - solohawks - 08-11-2017 09:32 PM

Star News is smart to prioritize UNCW. If people want ACC coverage they won't turn to Star News but they sure will for UNCW coverage

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - The Patio Patron - 08-13-2017 09:46 AM

As someone that lives on the Left Coast the only reason I have an electronic subscription to the Star News is their coverage of UNCW and CAA sports. I have zero interest in reading about bigACCeast sports. Keep up the good work Alex covering our Seahawks.

RE: Change in StarNews coverage - solohawks - 08-13-2017 02:26 PM

I would also encourage any out of towners with a roku to add the WECT news channel. They will have highlights and interviews throughout the year from UNCW basketball and all around sports