CSNbbs
Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels (/thread-823148.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - UTSAMarineVet09 - 08-02-2017 11:25 AM

Here we go!

Quote:President Trump joined two Republican senators on Wednesday to champion legislation that would overhaul legal immigration in America -- launching a merit-based system that would significantly cut admissions over the next decade.

Speaking at the White House, the president called it “the most significant reform to our immigration system in a half century.”

“As a candidate, I campaigned on creating a merit-based immigration system that protects U.S. workers and taxpayers, and that is why we are here today,” Trump said.

He was joined by Georgia Sen. David Perdue and Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, the Republicans who first introduced the Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy, or the RAISE Act, in February. They have said the legislation aims to cut legal immigration in half from 1 million to 500,000 a year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/02/trump-gop-senators-champion-bill-to-cut-legal-immigration-levels.html

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - bubbapt - 08-02-2017 12:42 PM

Looks like perfectly sensible legislation.

Which means we should be seeing the p***y hats again.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - SuperFlyBCat - 08-02-2017 12:48 PM

Does this mean Europeans will be allowed to emigrate again?

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Bull_Is_Back - 08-02-2017 01:11 PM

(08-02-2017 11:25 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  Here we go!

Quote:President Trump joined two Republican senators on Wednesday to champion legislation that would overhaul legal immigration in America -- launching a merit-based system that would significantly cut admissions over the next decade.

Speaking at the White House, the president called it “the most significant reform to our immigration system in a half century.”

“As a candidate, I campaigned on creating a merit-based immigration system that protects U.S. workers and taxpayers, and that is why we are here today,” Trump said.

He was joined by Georgia Sen. David Perdue and Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton, the Republicans who first introduced the Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy, or the RAISE Act, in February. They have said the legislation aims to cut legal immigration in half from 1 million to 500,000 a year.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/08/02/trump-gop-senators-champion-bill-to-cut-legal-immigration-levels.html

Depends on what they mean by merit... If they mean "hey we have a need for X and this person can do it" then fine.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - chiefsfan - 08-02-2017 01:25 PM

I don't anticipate it getting by the senate without a lot of work done as divided as the Senate is right now.

Interesting that they claim that the bill is set to model the immigration laws of Canada and Australia, but both countries admit higher numbers of immigrants than the US does currently per capita.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Godzilla - 08-02-2017 01:28 PM

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed, to me:
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.”

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - SuperFlyBCat - 08-02-2017 01:30 PM

[Image: DGPPvC9XYAAdMB8.jpg]

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - hoopfan - 08-02-2017 01:35 PM

(08-02-2017 01:28 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  “Give me your tired, your poor,

I just love that part of the constitution.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - ECUGrad07 - 08-02-2017 01:36 PM

It's a new world.

Either assimilate and be a productive citizen (not a leech), or you're not welcome.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - fsquid - 08-02-2017 01:38 PM

I can see certain sectors lobby against this on the corporation side.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Hood-rich - 08-02-2017 01:38 PM

A poem is not a policy.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Godzilla - 08-02-2017 01:40 PM

(08-02-2017 01:36 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

It's a new world.

Either assimilate and be a productive citizen (not a leech), or you're not welcome.

"its a new world" AKA "they are brown now"

Lol Hood-rich negative repped me for this post. Sorry to hurt your feelings snowflake.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - ECUGrad07 - 08-02-2017 01:41 PM

(08-02-2017 01:40 PM)Godzilla Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 01:36 PM)ECUGrad07 Wrote:  

It's a new world.

"its a new world" AKA "they are brown now"

Pretty sure this applies to immigrants from every country on Earth. And there are plenty of white ones.

Same rules apply to everyone.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - chiefsfan - 08-02-2017 01:45 PM

(08-02-2017 01:38 PM)fsquid Wrote:  I can see certain sectors lobby against this on the corporation side.

Plus every immigration advocacy group on earth. It's going to have a hard time getting past the Fillibuster threshold in the senate.

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - SuperFlyBCat - 08-02-2017 01:47 PM

[Image: DGPtb6WWsAMk1LX.jpg]

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Kronke - 08-02-2017 01:50 PM

MAGA!

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - UTSAMarineVet09 - 08-02-2017 01:54 PM

where is this in the constitution? 07-coffee3

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - Godzilla - 08-02-2017 01:55 PM

Can y'all not tell I'm mocking your ideals not making a constitutional argument?

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - DefCONNOne - 08-02-2017 02:21 PM

(08-02-2017 01:45 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 01:38 PM)fsquid Wrote:  I can see certain sectors lobby against this on the corporation side.

Plus every immigration advocacy group on earth. It's going to have a hard time getting past the Fillibuster threshold in the senate.

So we'll just mark you and Godzilla down as wanting unlimited unfettered open-borders immigration. How liberal, err...regressive of you!!

RE: Trump, GOP senators champion bill to cut legal immigration levels - chiefsfan - 08-02-2017 02:53 PM

(08-02-2017 02:21 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 01:45 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

So we'll just mark you and Godzilla down as wanting unlimited unfettered open-borders immigration. How liberal, err...regressive of you!!

Where did I mention my views on immigration? Though again, I love that somehow Liberal has become an insult or something.

It's going to struggle in the senate. It needs 60 votes to escape filibuster, and I don't see the Democratic party supporting it. That's just facts.