CSNbbs
EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: EMU picked 4th in MAC West (/thread-822693.html)

Pages: 1 2

EMU picked 4th in MAC West - HuronDave - 07-26-2017 10:54 AM

MAC media day poll looks pretty accurate. I would take slight issue with EMU. I would put EMU at No. 3 ahead of NIU and I think Miami is going to win the MAC East.

Team (First Place Votes), Points
MAC East Division
1. Ohio (11), 131 points
2. Miami (12), 129 points
3. Bowling Green (1), 88 points
4. Akron, 79 points
5. Buffalo, 41 points
6. Kent State, 36 points

MAC West Division
1. Toledo (22), 142 points
2. Western Michigan (1), 107 points
3. Northern Illinois (1), 89 points
4. Eastern Michigan, 74 points
5. Central Michigan, 62 points
6. Ball State, 30 points

2017 MAC Championship Game Winner: Toledo (21); Western Michigan (1); Bowling Green (1); Miami (1)

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - NotAlexGillett - 07-26-2017 11:18 AM

I don't think EMU 4th is all that bullish of a pick, tbh. Winning at DeKalb doesn't come easy.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - EagleTough - 07-26-2017 12:04 PM

Our schedule is a bear. Getting bowl eligible again will be a successful year.

EMU picked 4th in MAC West - vannzee - 07-26-2017 09:13 PM

I feel 4th or even 5th is realistic if Morris steps up in Mt. Pleasant.

It's going to be a bear to replace those lineman as well as O'Connor.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - emu steve - 07-27-2017 06:45 AM

(07-26-2017 09:13 PM)vannzee Wrote:  I feel 4th or even 5th is realistic if Morris steps up in Mt. Pleasant.

Sometimes I wish (for FB) that we were in the MAC East.

MAC West MBB is easier than East, but the West kills us in FB.

We usually get beaten up by NIU, TOL and WMU.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Bob Wickersham - 07-27-2017 10:27 AM

(07-27-2017 06:45 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(07-26-2017 09:13 PM)vannzee Wrote:  I feel 4th or even 5th is realistic if Morris steps up in Mt. Pleasant.

To be the best, you have to beat the best...No athlete wants to take the easy way.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Ken Barna - 07-27-2017 01:54 PM

Dear Friends,
I still say that the MAC is a quarterback league, and if you do not have one with experience, you are probably going to have a rough go of things. That said, is why I think both Central and Western could be in trouble. Neither has a quarterback coming with experience, and with coaching changes as well.
I agree with Bob. If Eastern wants to be a top team, they have to be able to beat the best.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - TheWoodenNickle - 07-27-2017 02:57 PM

(07-27-2017 01:54 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
I still say that the MAC is a quarterback league, and if you do not have one with experience, you are probably going to have a rough go of things. That said, is why I think both Central and Western could be in trouble. Neither has a quarterback coming with experience, and with coaching changes as well.
I agree with Bob. If Eastern wants to be a top team, they have to be able to beat the best.
Agree. And those inexperienced QBs from CMU and WMU will go against the most experienced and proven defense EMU has had in years. Wish we had them earlier in the season.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Bob Wickersham - 07-27-2017 05:43 PM

(07-27-2017 02:57 PM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  
Agree. And those inexperienced QBs from CMU and WMU will go against the most experienced and proven defense EMU has had in years. Wish we had them earlier in the season.
The "inexperienced" QB for CMU is Shane Morris, former U-M QB! Interesting to see if he was a legit Big 10 signal caller.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Luckeyone - 07-27-2017 09:54 PM

(07-27-2017 10:27 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
(07-27-2017 06:45 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

To be the best, you have to beat the best...No athlete wants to take the easy way.

Bob, I agree

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Luckeyone - 07-27-2017 10:07 PM

Ken,

You are right on. Football in general is a quarterback's game and we have the elite athlete playing at that position this year bar none and better than Woodside. Toledo had a better overall Offense compared to us last year (RBs and WRs). However this year, if Vann and Breck stay healthy at RB and our WRs improve in their second year, I believe we will be on par with Toledo offensively. We beat Toledo this year because our defense will be better than their scheme. Just need our Special teams to come thru.

Some of you on here we're touting Porter as our QB when he did well against Charlotte. I said Roback is physically the best QB in the league and better than Terrell. Terrell just had amazing receivers to go along with his decent decision making skills. If our OL can be better than average and Roback makes good decisions, we win seven games this season. We have the top QB in this conference bar none. If Roback started the first three games last year, he would have thrown for 3200 yds. We beat Toledo at their place this season and Roback's hometown friends cheer us on to victory.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - EagleTough - 07-27-2017 10:22 PM

Cliche......

A phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought.
"the old cliché “one man's meat is another man's poison.”"
Synonyms: platitude, hackneyed phrase, commonplace, banality, old saying, maxim, truism, stock phrase, trite phrase; old chestnut

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - EagleHawk - 07-29-2017 10:06 AM

(07-27-2017 05:43 PM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  
The "inexperienced" QB for CMU is Shane Morris, former U-M QB! Interesting to see if he was a legit Big 10 signal caller.

Don't think he won a single game he started at Michigan so I'd say it's pretty clear he wasn't a legit Big 10 signal caller.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - emu79 - 07-29-2017 11:27 AM

4-6 wins

EMU picked 4th in MAC West - vannzee - 07-29-2017 11:55 AM

If Morris doesn't start for CMU, Tony Polijan will and in my opinion, is the next big MAC QB. He tore up their spring game.

I still think that Morris has had some type of agreement to start and he has probably grown since his freshman and sophomore years, especially after working with Harbaugh.

CMU will be around 5-6 wins.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - EagleTough - 07-29-2017 04:26 PM

(07-29-2017 10:06 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  

Don't think he won a single game he started at Michigan so I'd say it's pretty clear he wasn't a legit Big 10 signal caller.

Exactly, haha. If he was legit he's still be at Michigan, and not up in CMU wasteland desperate for a chance to start a college football game.........after 4.5 years of practice and coaching at the highest level.

Kid was overrated from Day 1

EMU picked 4th in MAC West - vannzee - 07-29-2017 05:39 PM

People said the same about Philip Ely going to UT from Alabama...

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - TheWoodenNickle - 07-29-2017 08:27 PM

(07-29-2017 04:26 PM)EagleTough Wrote:  
(07-29-2017 10:06 AM)EagleHawk Wrote:  

Exactly, haha. If he was legit he's still be at Michigan, and not up in CMU wasteland desperate for a chance to start a college football game.........after 4.5 years of practice and coaching at the highest level.

Kid was overrated from Day 1
Hard to argue with that. Just because a kid "played" at UM doesn't mean he's legit. They transfer for a reason.

IMO Roback is the best college QB in the state. I'd take him over Speight any day.

RE: EMU picked 4th in MAC West - Bob Wickersham - 07-30-2017 08:57 AM

Not a fan of Speight, but NO WAY would I take Roback over him. Brogan Roback has a great arm and below average decision making ability--relatively speaking, for a DI QB.

EMU picked 4th in MAC West - vannzee - 07-30-2017 09:53 AM

I think that Roback will have the best numbers of any QB in the state but probably isn't the best QB in the state, if that makes sense.