CSNbbs
Research on being Left Behind - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Research on being Left Behind (/thread-822687.html)

Research on being Left Behind - WTXOwl - 07-26-2017 09:28 AM

As a Owl fans, one of the Southwest Conference's Forgotten Four (and the only one to have left every team in the SWC and be left by every team in the SWC), I thought it would be interesting to determine which schools Rice had left behind in conference realignment and which schools left Rice behind (for football only). The list is below for information purposes. I'm starting to wonder which school in Division 1 has been most stood up and which has done the most standing up. (I think TCU could have a really strong chance there.)

Teams That Left Rice Behind (Conference at the time / Conference school left for / Present Conference):
Southwestern (SWC / Ind. / SCAC(DIII))

Phillips (SWC / Ind. / University Closed)

Oklahoma (SWC / MVIAA / Big XII)

Oklahoma State (SWC / MVIAA / Big XII)

Arkansas (SWC / SEC / SEC)

Baylor (SWC / Big XII / Big XII)
Houston (SWC / C-USA / AAC)
Texas (SWC / Big XII / BIG XII)
Texas A&M (SWC / Big XII / SEC)
Texas Tech (SWC / Big XII / Big XII)

Air Force (WAC / MWC / MWC)
BYU (WAC / MWC / Ind.)
Colorado State (WAC / MWC / MWC)
UNLV (WAC / MWC / MWC)
UNM (WAC / MWC / MWC)
San Deigo State (WAC / MWC / MWC)
Utah (WAC / MWC / Pac 12)
Wyoming (WAC / MWC / MWC)

TCU (WAC / MWC / Big XII)

Central Florida (C-USA / Big East / AAC)
Houston (C-USA / Big East / AAC)
Memphis (C-USA / Big East / AAC)

East Carolina (C-USA / AAC / AAC)
Tulane (C-USA / AAC / AAC)
Tulsa (C-USA / AAC / AAC)

UAB (C-USA / Dropped Football / C-USA)

Teams Rice Left Behind (Conference at the time / Present Conference):

1916 (Rice left SWC; Rejoined for 1918 season)
Arkansas (SWC / SEC)
Baylor (SWC / Big XII)
Oklahoma (SWC / Big XII)
Oklahoma State (SWC / Big XII)
Texas (SWC / Big XII)
Texas A&M (SWC / SEC)

2004 (Rice left the WAC for C-USA)
Boise State (WAC / MWC)
Fresno State (WAC / MWC)
Hawaii (WAC / MWC)
La Tech (WAC / C-USA)
Nevada (WAC / MWC)
San Jose State (WAC / MWC)

RE: Research on being Left Behind - Rick Gerlach - 07-26-2017 10:33 AM

(07-26-2017 09:28 AM)WTXOwl Wrote:  As a Owl fans, one of the Southwest Conference's Forgotten Four (and the only one to have left every team in the SWC and be left by every team in the SWC), I thought it would be interesting to determine which schools Rice had left behind in conference realignment and which schools left Rice behind (for football only). The list is below for information purposes. I'm starting to wonder which school in Division 1 has been most stood up and which has done the most standing up. (I think TCU could have a really strong chance there.)

Teams That Left Rice Behind (Conference at the time / Conference school left for / Present Conference):
Southwestern (SWC / Ind. / SCAC(DIII))

Phillips (SWC / Ind. / University Closed)

Oklahoma (SWC / MVIAA / Big XII)

Oklahoma State (SWC / MVIAA / Big XII)

Arkansas (SWC / SEC / SEC)

Baylor (SWC / Big XII / Big XII)
Houston (SWC / C-USA / AAC)
Texas (SWC / Big XII / BIG XII)
Texas A&M (SWC / Big XII / SEC)
Texas Tech (SWC / Big XII / Big XII)

Air Force (WAC / MWC / MWC)
BYU (WAC / MWC / Ind.)
Colorado State (WAC / MWC / MWC)
UNLV (WAC / MWC / MWC)
UNM (WAC / MWC / MWC)
San Deigo State (WAC / MWC / MWC)
Utah (WAC / MWC / Pac 12)
Wyoming (WAC / MWC / MWC)

TCU (WAC / MWC / Big XII)

Central Florida (C-USA / Big East / AAC)
Houston (C-USA / Big East / AAC)
Memphis (C-USA / Big East / AAC)

East Carolina (C-USA / AAC / AAC)
Tulane (C-USA / AAC / AAC)
Tulsa (C-USA / AAC / AAC)

UAB (C-USA / Dropped Football / C-USA)

Teams Rice Left Behind (Conference at the time / Present Conference):

1916 (Rice left SWC; Rejoined for 1918 season)
Arkansas (SWC / SEC)
Baylor (SWC / Big XII)
Oklahoma (SWC / Big XII)
Oklahoma State (SWC / Big XII)
Texas (SWC / Big XII)
Texas A&M (SWC / SEC)

2004 (Rice left the WAC for C-USA)
Boise State (WAC / MWC)
Fresno State (WAC / MWC)
Hawaii (WAC / MWC)
La Tech (WAC / C-USA)
Nevada (WAC / MWC)
San Jose State (WAC / MWC)

It's hard to follow for TCU, but I thought they left the WAC first for CUSA, and then left CUSA (when they saw SMU, Rice and UTEP coming over a few years later) for the MWC before the Big 12.

I can't recall if there was an AAC/Big East dalliance.

They basically bounced all over.

RE: Research on being Left Behind - TJS_NYC - 07-26-2017 10:42 AM

I thought Arkansas left the SWC in 1980/1981 - I seem to remember Rice beating them 17-10 (I think) @ Arkansas as a going away present. But after further research looks like it was 1991.

RE: Research on being Left Behind - Almadenmike - 07-26-2017 11:07 AM

(07-26-2017 10:33 AM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  It's hard to follow for TCU, but I thought they left the WAC first for CUSA, and then left CUSA (when they saw SMU, Rice and UTEP coming over a few years later) for the MWC before the Big 12.

Correct ... Here are the Horned Frogs' conference affiliations over the years:

TIAA (1914–1920 ...or 1922)*
SWC (1923–1995)
WAC (1996–2000)
C-USA (2001–2004)
Mountain West (2005–2011)
Bix XII (2012 - present)

*In 1920, TCU won its first conference title as a member of the Texas Intercollegiate Athletic Association (TIAA). The Horned Frogs' 9–1–0 record earned them a spot in the Fort Worth Classic, also known as the Dixie Bowl, against Centre College. Although the game was played in Fort Worth, Centre won the game 63–7.

RE: Research on being Left Behind - I45owl - 07-26-2017 12:28 PM

(07-26-2017 11:07 AM)Almadenmike Wrote:  
(07-26-2017 10:33 AM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  It's hard to follow for TCU, but I thought they left the WAC first for CUSA, and then left CUSA (when they saw SMU, Rice and UTEP coming over a few years later) for the MWC before the Big 12.

Correct ... Here are the Horned Frogs' conference affiliations over the years:

TIAA (1914–1920 ...or 1922)*
SWC (1923–1995)
WAC (1996–2000)
C-USA (2001–2004)
Mountain West (2005–2011)
Bix XII (2012 - present)

*In 1920, TCU won its first conference title as a member of the Texas Intercollegiate Athletic Association (TIAA). The Horned Frogs' 9–1–0 record earned them a spot in the Fort Worth Classic, also known as the Dixie Bowl, against Centre College. Although the game was played in Fort Worth, Centre won the game 63–7.

TCU committed to join the Big East, but never participated in any competition before moving to the Big XII.
TCU Horned Frogs - Wikipedia
Quote:In 2010, TCU accepted an invitation to join the Big East Conference in all sports starting in 2012; however, on October 10, 2011, TCU announced that it had reversed its decision and would be joining the Big 12 (headquartered in another Metroplex city, Irving) in 2012 instead, a move that went into effect July 1.

Also, if you are talking about the athletic department affiliation as opposed to just football, the years need to be updated because the school year is split across two years.

Past conferences
TIAA (1914–1921)
SWC (1923–1996)
WAC (1996–2001)
C-USA (2001–2005)
Mountain West (2005–2012)
Big XII (2012-present)

[Image: d737a8d5aba5d79593220d7f1014599a.png]

RE: Research on being Left Behind - franklyconfused - 07-26-2017 08:08 PM

TCU, Houston, et al. joining the Big East was the catalyst for the Catholic 7 schools (Georgetown, DePaul, et al.) to form a new conference and force the original Big East to sell its trademarks and branding to their new one. I know that TCU technically joined the Big East, and I'm pretty sure UH did, too, but neither ever played a game under the Big East name. That March the Catholic schools announced the trademark sale, and the original Big East went about a month without a brand before settling on AAC.

Research on being Left Behind - owl at the moon - 07-28-2017 04:48 AM

(07-26-2017 08:08 PM)franklyconfused Wrote:  TCU, Houston, et al. joining the Big East was the catalyst for the Catholic 7 schools (Georgetown, DePaul, et al.) to form a new conference and force the original Big East to sell its trademarks and branding to their new one. I know that TCU technically joined the Big East, and I'm pretty sure UH did, too, but neither ever played a game under the Big East name. That March the Catholic schools announced the trademark sale, and the original Big East went about a month without a brand before settling on AAC.

Wichita State (non-Football) this year was the first school to announce joining the AAC under its present name. Everyone else joined the Big East. Also, even though they never played in the conference, TCU paid an exit fee.

Also, I counted 32 former mates for Rice plus 12 current ones not in the former group, for 44 total.

Every FBS conference (except the Atlantic) either has a former Rice Conference-mate, or previously had a current Rice Conference-mate.