CSNbbs
AAC Media Days - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-400.html)
+----- Forum: AACbbs Archives (/forum-418.html)
+------ Forum: Cincinnati Archives (/forum-932.html)
+------ Thread: AAC Media Days (/thread-822023.html)

Pages: 1 2

AAC Media Days - bearcatfan - 07-17-2017 08:20 AM

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The 2017 American Athletic Conference Summer Kickoff and Media Days presented by NAPA Auto Parts will have two live days of coverage of events in Newport, Rhode Island, on July 17-18, at Gurney's Newport Resort and Spa.

Both shows will be available on Facebook (Facebook.com/AmericanConf) and YouTube (YouTube.com/AmericanAthleticConf), with highlights shared via The American's twitter account, @American_FB.

The University of Cincinnati football team will be represented by Head Coach Luke Fickell and seniors Mike Boone, Korey Cunningham, Carter Jacobs and Jaylyin Minor.

Live coverage of both events will kick off with a one-hour program Monday, July 17, at 7 p.m. ET from the site of the event's New England-style clambake. The American's Hali Oughton will be joined by longtime television analyst Andy Katz for interviews with coaches, student-athletes and dignitaries as they arrive at the clambake, with the backdrop of a waterfront sunset.

Coach Fickell is scheduled to appear on ADN's live clambake show.

The American Digital Network will be live on Tuesday, July 18, beginning at 8:30 a.m. ET with the reveal of The American football preseason poll. Legendary sports broadcaster Verne Lundquist will serve as the host of Tuesday's podium sessions, featuring opening remarks by Commissioner Mike Aresco and roundtable sessions with the East and West Division head coaches. Oughton will be joined by veteran college football announcer Andy Gresh for more in-depth interviews with coaches, student-athletes and guests.

Follow UC's official social media accounts on Twitter (twitter.com/gobearcats) , Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/GoBearcatsFootball), Instagram (instagram.com/gobearcatsfb) and Snapchat (GoBEARCATS.com) for behind the scenes coverage of the Bearcats in Newport.

http://gobearcats.com/news/2017/7/17/follow-the-bearcats-at-aac-football-media-day.aspx

RE: AAC Media Days - Bearcat2012 - 07-18-2017 09:00 AM

[Image: DE6HmuyWAAACZhS.jpg]

fair enough. clearly ahead of Uconn and ECU and close enough to UCF and Temple

RE: AAC Media Days - CliftonAve - 07-18-2017 09:02 AM

Sounds about right. My prediction has been 6-7 wins during the regular season and I am sticking with it. Hopefully I am selling the team short.

RE: AAC Media Days - Bearcat2012 - 07-18-2017 09:09 AM

(07-18-2017 09:02 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Sounds about right. My prediction has been 6-7 wins during the regular season and I am sticking with it. Hopefully I am selling the team short.

We were clearly given a solid by the schedule makers , skipping Memphis and Houston this year .

RE: AAC Media Days - crex043 - 07-18-2017 09:13 AM

(07-18-2017 09:09 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:02 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Sounds about right. My prediction has been 6-7 wins during the regular season and I am sticking with it. Hopefully I am selling the team short.

We were clearly given a solid by the schedule makers , skipping Memphis and Houston this year .
They've always done UC the "solid" of not scheduling us against the American heavyweights. It just happens to work out in our favor this year.

RE: AAC Media Days - CliftonAve - 07-18-2017 09:19 AM

For those interested, here is the link to the conference's youtube channel. Right night there is a coach's panel interview, moderated by Verne Lundquist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=briaJytHV0M

Edit: East Division Coaches scheduled for ~11am.

RE: AAC Media Days - Bruce Monnin - 07-18-2017 09:28 AM

Wow, that is pathetic. Thank you, Tommy Tuberville!

RE: AAC Media Days - dubcat14 - 07-18-2017 09:47 AM

(07-18-2017 09:00 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  [Image: DE6HmuyWAAACZhS.jpg]

fair enough. clearly ahead of Uconn and ECU and close enough to UCF and Temple

(07-18-2017 09:28 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Wow, that is pathetic. Thank you, Tommy Tuberville!

Curious how the preseason polls were impacted by CTT being fired.. fair to assume we'd be lower had he been the coach and were positioned where we are because Fickell is at the helm?

RE: AAC Media Days - doss2 - 07-18-2017 10:23 AM

So from the West we get 3, 5, 6 or a 4.75

Very favorable.

RE: AAC Media Days - rath v2.0 - 07-18-2017 10:26 AM

My thoughts exactly.

If we catch lightning in a bottle (good) or suffer a couple injuries and have to start playing a bunch of guys who have never taken a college snap before (bad) I would not be totally shocked for it to go a couple games either way.

RE: AAC Media Days - Billy_Bearcat - 07-18-2017 10:29 AM

Randy Edsall is ornery

RE: AAC Media Days - Cat-Man - 07-18-2017 10:39 AM

(07-18-2017 09:13 AM)crex043 Wrote:  

They've always done UC the "solid" of not scheduling us against the American heavyweights. It just happens to work out in our favor this year.

Not sure I ever understood the concept of not wanting to play the best teams? Especially when tiebreakers come into play when deciding League Championships/Bowl invites. Not to mention how you are perceived on a National level when being ranked or discussed whether or not you are legit. You'd think we would have learned that from the basketball side.

RE: AAC Media Days - Z-Fly - 07-18-2017 11:35 AM

(07-18-2017 10:39 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  

Not sure I ever understood the concept of not wanting to play the best teams? Especially when tiebreakers come into play when deciding League Championships/Bowl invites. Not to mention how you are perceived on a National level when being ranked or discussed whether or not you are legit. You'd think we would have learned that from the basketball side.

Because you need 6 wins to get to a bowl game.

RE: AAC Media Days - Ragpicker - 07-18-2017 11:35 AM

(07-18-2017 09:28 AM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  Wow, that is pathetic. Thank you, Tommy Tuberville!

Oh No! Where is the AAC dominance?

RE: AAC Media Days - BearcatJerry - 07-18-2017 04:29 PM

This is the "Bill Snyder" (of Kansas State) school of thought... Snyder literally junked the K-State schedule the first time he was their coach and scheduled in only teams with losing schedules where he could. (The (then) Big 8 Schedule was weak outside of Nebraska and Oklahoma and was only 7 conference games at that point anyway...) Snyder was not afraid to schedule 1AA/FCS programs either, and would have scheduled as many of them as he could...even when the rule was passed that you could only count 1 1AA win towards Bowl eligibility; he figured he could get to 6 without trying most years so what's that extra "win" worth?

The idea was that most people could care LESS about "who" you beat than the gaudy "10" or "11" next to your name in the parenthesis. AND HE WAS LARGELY VINDICATED. Very few people care that you "lost close" to Michigan. Many casual eyes catch the "10-2" next to your name at the end of the season. And, here's the clincher... POLL VOTERS DON'T CARE EITHER. They vaulted the hapless K-State program up the rankings with all those soft wins and "K-State" became a "known" commodity after a couple of seasons with the inflated win schedule.

Now, of course, K-State was playing in a "Major" (now Power) Conference and benefitted from playing Oklahoma (even when they sucked after their near, post-Switzer, Death Penalty) and Nebraska. But K-State used the gaudy win-numbers and their Bowl appearances to gain a swagger and brand name. And Snyder became a preeminent coaching name from it too.

Just remember: 10>6. Every time. 10 wins against cupcakes is greater than 6 wins (with 6 "close" losses) to "major" names.

RE: AAC Media Days - Former Lurker - 07-18-2017 08:42 PM

(07-18-2017 04:29 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  

This is the "Bill Snyder" (of Kansas State) school of thought... Snyder literally junked the K-State schedule the first time he was their coach and scheduled in only teams with losing schedules where he could. (The (then) Big 8 Schedule was weak outside of Nebraska and Oklahoma and was only 7 conference games at that point anyway...) Snyder was not afraid to schedule 1AA/FCS programs either, and would have scheduled as many of them as he could...even when the rule was passed that you could only count 1 1AA win towards Bowl eligibility; he figured he could get to 6 without trying most years so what's that extra "win" worth?

The idea was that most people could care LESS about "who" you beat than the gaudy "10" or "11" next to your name in the parenthesis. AND HE WAS LARGELY VINDICATED. Very few people care that you "lost close" to Michigan. Many casual eyes catch the "10-2" next to your name at the end of the season. And, here's the clincher... POLL VOTERS DON'T CARE EITHER. They vaulted the hapless K-State program up the rankings with all those soft wins and "K-State" became a "known" commodity after a couple of seasons with the inflated win schedule.

Now, of course, K-State was playing in a "Major" (now Power) Conference and benefitted from playing Oklahoma (even when they sucked after their near, post-Switzer, Death Penalty) and Nebraska. But K-State used the gaudy win-numbers and their Bowl appearances to gain a swagger and brand name. And Snyder became a preeminent coaching name from it too.

Just remember: 10>6. Every time. 10 wins against cupcakes is greater than 6 wins (with 6 "close" losses) to "major" names.

JoePa always played a cupcake schedule in the pre-B10 years, adhering to this same philosophy.

RE: AAC Media Days - Cat-Man - 07-19-2017 11:17 AM

(07-18-2017 08:42 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:09 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  We were clearly given a solid by the schedule makers , skipping Memphis and Houston this year .

JoePa always played a cupcake schedule in the pre-B10 years, adhering to this same philosophy.

That's comparing apples to oranges. It was a different time then. Pre-BCS when EVERYTHING was dictated by Polls. Therefore 10-2 did mean more than 7-5 because half the time the pollsters never saw most teams play. They just went off their record.

RE: AAC Media Days - BearcatJerry - 07-19-2017 11:37 AM

(07-19-2017 11:17 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:13 AM)crex043 Wrote:  They've always done UC the "solid" of not scheduling us against the American heavyweights. It just happens to work out in our favor this year.

That's comparing apples to oranges. It was a different time then. Pre-BCS when EVERYTHING was dictated by Polls. Therefore 10-2 did mean more than 6-4 because half the time the pollsters never saw most teams play. They just went off their record.

I don't think it's much different...especially for those teams outside of the "Power" conferences. Do you really think they are going to place a three-loss "g" team--who's three losses came against Michigan, Florida State, and another "good" team--over a one (or no) loss "g" team who won their games over a bunch of nobodies? Oh, there would be some consternation over it, all under the heading of "how unworthy the 'g' teams are...", especially if that "g" team got bounced in their bowl. This almost happened two years back when Marshall was 11-1 going into the CUSA CCG, and had they won that game I think they would have been put into the NY 6 slot ahead of Houston. We'll never know, but I think there was at least a plausible argument for that happening.

The other thing that is even more true is that most "pollsters" (and the polls still figure into the ranking formula) see LESS of the "g" teams play now...so all they really do is look at the record and the popular "buzz" about what other people are saying. Our exposure has shrunk as we have been pushed off the mainline channels.

I am not advocating that UC "do" this. I'd rather us play Michigan any day of the week over "Eastern Michigan." But I'm also not naïve enough to assume that the people who make decisions about "who's worthy" actually care enough about the Truth to dig below the cosmetic appearances. I think the Win-Loss record usually captures the day rather than "who you played."

RE: AAC Media Days - bearcat_df - 07-19-2017 11:42 AM

(07-19-2017 11:17 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:13 AM)crex043 Wrote:  They've always done UC the "solid" of not scheduling us against the American heavyweights. It just happens to work out in our favor this year.

That's comparing apples to oranges. It was a different time then. Pre-BCS when EVERYTHING was dictated by Polls. Therefore 10-2 did mean more than 6-4 because half the time the pollsters never saw most teams play. They just went off their record.

In the long run, I want to play the best teams and be a legit champion because we beat the best in the conference. In the short term, let's get to 6 wins so we get the extra weeks of practice and continue to rebuild the program.

I'm curious how K-State did in their bowl games??

My goal for our team is to own the G5 Jan 1 bowl spot. Every fall I want to hear - can anyone dislodge Cincinnati from New Years Day . . .

When we do this at least 3 good things happen
1) The local fan base will be as strong as possible
2) We will have a national presence which we have never experience in FB
3) When realignment occurs and there is expansion (I'm not confident this will happen, but if it does) we will be the clear no. 1 candidate. Ever other candidate will pale in comparison to us.

df

RE: AAC Media Days - nachoman91 - 07-19-2017 12:33 PM

(07-18-2017 04:29 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  This is the "Bill Snyder" (of Kansas State) school of thought... Snyder literally junked the K-State schedule the first time he was their coach and scheduled in only teams with losing schedules where he could. (The (then) Big 8 Schedule was weak outside of Nebraska and Oklahoma and was only 7 conference games at that point anyway...) Snyder was not afraid to schedule 1AA/FCS programs either, and would have scheduled as many of them as he could...even when the rule was passed that you could only count 1 1AA win towards Bowl eligibility; he figured he could get to 6 without trying most years so what's that extra "win" worth?

THIS THIS THIS! I've been saying this for years. Racking up wins gets you ranked and being ranked gets you positive PR and it only helps the program. Over scheduling is the worst thing UC can do.

The 2009 UC team is the perfect example. That team went 12-0 with a schedule of very beatable teams. There was some decent opponents but its not like they had to compete against a typical SEC schedule. 12-0 got UC up to a #3 ranking and a BCS bowl where-as if they were in any of the other P5 leagues they are likely 10-2 or worse and not playing in a BCS game.

I am very much against scheduling a team like Michigan. There's a less than 50% chance for a win. Being a consistently ranked team will do alot more for UC than a potential shot at pulling off one big win. When a P5 league wants to expand are they going to add a team that has been ranked in the Top 25 for many years in a row or add a team that pulled off one win against a big opponent.