CSNbbs
Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt West Team Talk (/forum-290.html)
+----- Forum: Southern Miss (/forum-447.html)
+----- Thread: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? (/thread-821951.html)

Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - 99beers - 07-15-2017 09:42 AM

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/patrick-magee/article161448123.html

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - keyboard kowboy - 07-15-2017 09:53 AM

(07-15-2017 09:42 AM)99beers Wrote:  http://www.sunherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/patrick-magee/article161448123.html

Both great backs . I cant rank greatest anymore because it is so subjective. Whether he breaks his rushing record or not I rank Ito a little higher because of his speed. Love the way both compete / competed.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - Reggie Favre - 07-15-2017 10:44 AM

I like Fletch. Great back and did great things at USM. But the guy that wrote that is an idiot. Fletch has the most rushing yards but that doesn't make him the best running back in USM history. Emmit Smith has the most yards in the NFL, but most would agree he isnt the best RB in NFL history. He's not really even in the conversation, if the conversation is between rational people. Same can be said about Fletcher.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - GCEagle - 07-15-2017 11:05 AM

Just based on memory and no research whatsoever, I think Ito has already passed Fletch on the greatest running back list.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - CajunEagle - 07-15-2017 11:22 AM

Was Fletcher ever given a chance to play on Sundays ??

or Monday Nights ??

or Thursday Nights ??

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - Black Diamond Reb - 07-15-2017 11:33 AM

Damion Fletcher

Jeremy Wise

Trey Sutton

The Mount Rushmore of the best players to never to win $hit at USM.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - BeagleUSM - 07-15-2017 12:07 PM

(07-15-2017 11:22 AM)CajunEagle Wrote:  Was Fletcher ever given a chance to play on Sundays ??

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=272940276

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) -- Damion Fletcher ran for 152 yards and three touchdowns to lead Southern Miss to a 33-24 victory over Marshall on Sunday night.

Southern Miss (4-3, 3-1 Conference USA) jumped ahead 20-0 and withstood a second-half rally by Marshall to move into a tie for first place with East Carolina in the East Division.

Marshall (0-7, 0-3) once was virtually unbeatable at home, but has lost three games in a season at Joan C. Edwards Stadium for the second time in three years. The Thundering Herd are on pace for their worst season since going 1-10 in 1979. Marshall hasn't had a winless season since 1968.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - HarborPointe - 07-15-2017 12:25 PM

Looks like somebody received his media guide.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - SoMs Eagle - 07-15-2017 08:37 PM

Reggie was the best college QB I ever saw play. Yes. Better college QB than Brett. Never caught on in the NFL for whatever reason.

Damien was the best undersized slow college RB I have ever seen play. A true competitor who far surpassed his talents. And he did it every day from the first day he was here. So I would say he is the best we have had at USM. Putting someone behind DF is in no means a put down.

On a side note: Winder was great. Floyd was good. Boothe and Smith were really good along with Shaw, but the one that may have surpassed them all was Derrick Nix. Had he stayed healthy its almost scary what he could have accomplished.

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - stinkfist - 07-15-2017 09:30 PM

IMO, it's simply More Ito!

my knock on DF was he let go of the ball and left the ground too often on both counts....also turned his back to the tackler wayyyyyyy to often.....I cringed when he did that....you could see the fumble before it happened.....

in space??? it's not even a question who I take....Ito almost has ankles like Sanders....

get Ito the ball in space or give him a tiny gap to run through....he rarely disappoints time after time after time after.........

and yeah SoMs.....while winder and nix were a different style back vs DF/Ito, it's a shame how nix's career played out....what a beast he was....it was fun watching both of those guys....they would just cream ya in a one-on-one situation....good times those were....

RE: Can Ito Smith surpass Damion Fletcher as the best RB in Southern Miss history? - eaglenjxn - 07-17-2017 07:22 AM

Nix
Ito
Fletcher

--best I've seen. I never saw Winder. I'm sure he would probably be the best.

The Nix days began my hatred of John Cox at a young age: "THE BABY BULL!"

As far as Ito vs. Fletch: Ito as a receiver and the fact that he has done what he has splitting time in the backfield makes him more impressive. Based on the subjective "eye test,"I think he's just a better athlete and player.

Of course, Fletcher has that 227.6 passer rating....

Hot Take: Jalen Richard may have been the best if his teams hadn't been absolute tire fires.