CSNbbs
CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll (/thread-821767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-14-2017 08:08 AM

(07-14-2017 08:02 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(07-14-2017 07:52 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  There is no way to explain with words how inept __________ is at his job - or perhaps the fact that he just doesn't care. Not sure which.

Funny how many football fans say this about their coach.

Given the number of places West has been including several schools in this conference I bet you would be hard pressed to find someone who is so resoundingly considered a terrible coach.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - OptimisticOwl - 07-14-2017 08:10 AM

(07-14-2017 08:06 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(07-14-2017 07:26 AM)chidave Wrote:  This was a good idea for an off-season thread, thanks for doing it.

For sure! It's fun. I wonder how frequently we should do this during the season. Every week would be overkill for me. I'm thinking doing one after non-conference games are done, then another at the midpoint of conference play, and then a final one after the CUSA championship.

Some OOC games are quite late in the season. How about the end of each month? September, October, November.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - odu09 - 07-14-2017 08:17 AM

(07-14-2017 08:10 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(07-14-2017 07:26 AM)chidave Wrote:  This was a good idea for an off-season thread, thanks for doing it.

For sure! It's fun. I wonder how frequently we should do this during the season. Every week would be overkill for me. I'm thinking doing one after non-conference games are done, then another at the midpoint of conference play, and then a final one after the CUSA championship.

Some OOC games are quite late in the season. How about the end of each month? September, October, November.

True. I guess I meant to say have one leading up to the CUSA opener. Once a month sounds pretty good too

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - inutech - 07-14-2017 09:25 AM

(07-14-2017 07:50 AM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  We may be the first team in college football history to have a losing record while averaging 50 points a game. I'm expecting 6-6 overall with a conference record of 5-3 (tied with FAU but losing tiebreak).

In 1998 we averaged over 40 and went 6-6. Weird year.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - RonBurgundy - 07-14-2017 09:34 AM

(07-14-2017 06:11 AM)odu09 Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 10:43 AM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  Here's my humble opinion and my Top 6

1. Middle Tennessee. Returning one of the best QB's in the league and one of the best WR's in the country along with the same coaching staff. But can they play a lick of defense?

2. Louisiana Tech. Returning the same coaching staff and should be solid in the trenches. Would normally ding a team for a new QB but we've had a new starter for the past 3 seasons. Will the secondary play better and can we come close to replacing Henderson and Taylor's production?

3. Western Kentucky. Returning an extremely solid team but a new coaching staff will make it interesting to watch how everything develops.

The top 3 are really almost interchangable.

4. Marshall. Consistent team in the past with plenty of talent, should be competitive in the East. Was last year's team a fluke or have they been eating at Fat Patty's too much and lost their edge?

5. Old Dominion. Wilder has been building a solid program and this could be their year to show out against the top teams in the East.

6. UTSA. A program that has been making strides towards competing for the West title. Do they battle Tech in Ruston for the Western crown or does Frank Wilson have a sophomore slump?

Last 4 out: Southern Miss, UNT, Florida Twins

I can't really count this unless you finish it top to bottom. If you round out your bottom teams I can put it in
9. Florida International
10. Florida Atlantic
11. UTEP
12. Rice
13. UAB
14. Charlotte

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Rojogrande - 07-14-2017 10:26 AM

1. WKU (10-2)
2. La Tech (9-3)
3. MTSU (8-4)
4. UTSA (8-4)
5. Southern Miss (7-5)
6. Old Dominion (7-5)
7. North Texas (6-6)
8. Marshall (5-7)
9. FIU (5-7)
10. FAU (4-8)
11. UAB (4-8)
12. Rice (3-9)
13. UTEP (3-9)
14. Charlotte (3-9)

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Rojogrande - 07-14-2017 10:31 AM

(07-12-2017 10:55 PM)Hilltopper413 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 03:07 PM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 02:15 PM)Hilltopper413 Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 02:10 PM)MarshallHerdFanz Wrote:  La Tech
UTSA
ODU
Marshall
MTSU
Southern Miss
UTEP
WKU
Charlotte
NT
FAU
FIU
Rice
UAB

One of the requests was not to be a troll. The back to back defending champs 8th? I think that qualifies as trolling. I understand 3rd or 4th place pick because of the coaching change, but 8th?! LOL!

I really think your defense struggles this year and I just don't see you guys being competitive this year with a new coach. I do expect you to be in the top 3 in 2018 tho.

Fair enough. Honestly thought it was a troll. I guess we'll see how it plays out!

Oddly enough though. It is our defense that should be even better than last year and our offense that will likely take a little bit of a step back. But I could care less where people rank us.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - JCMiner - 07-14-2017 10:40 AM

I'm go to break the rules and post divisions.

East
2. Middle Tennessee
3. Western Kentucky
4. ODU
6. Marshall
8. FAU
11. Charlotte
13. FIU

West
1. La Tech
5. UTSA
7. USM
9. UTEP
10. UNT
12. UAB
14. RICE

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Rojogrande - 07-14-2017 10:45 AM

We have always had a weekly power rankings thread every year. That is kind of the same thing I would think. Maybe you could handle that weekly thread this year.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - odu09 - 07-14-2017 10:50 AM

(07-14-2017 10:40 AM)JCMiner Wrote:  I'm go to break the rules and post divisions.

East
2. Middle Tennessee
3. Western Kentucky
4. ODU
6. Marshall
8. FAU
11. Charlotte
13. FIU

West
1. La Tech
5. UTSA
7. USM
9. UTEP
10. UNT
12. UAB
14. RICE

Lol. Well hey at least you numbered them so it counts!

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - odu09 - 07-14-2017 10:51 AM

(07-14-2017 10:45 AM)Rojogrande Wrote:  

We have always had a weekly power rankings thread every year. That is kind of the same thing I would think. Maybe you could handle that weekly thread this year.

We'll have to see who used to do it and if they are willing to do it again. I'm not going to knock anyone off their spot, especially when I'm not sure if I could commit to a weekly ranking.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Magic95Fan - 07-14-2017 11:02 AM

1. LTU
2. WKU
3. MT
4. ODU
5. UNT
6. USM
7. UTSA
8. Marshall
9. Rice
10. UTEP
11. FAU
12. Charlotte
13. FIU
14. UAB

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - pilot172000 - 07-14-2017 11:44 AM

1a. Western Kentucky- They are the champs and until someone knocks them off....
1b. Louisiana Tech- Improved secondary, quality replacements at WR and what I believe could be a future household name at QB
3. Empty Sue- Monster Offense, with a questionable defense, wait am I talking about most Tech teams since the 90s?
4. ODU- Great season last year, but not quite sold on whats to come this year.
5. UTSA- Very talented, very young and an inexperienced coach. They won't sneak up on anybody this year.
6. USM- They have talent and they will probably beat Tech simply by showing up, but not a fan of their coach.
7. UNT- The could repeat as a bowl team again.
8.Marshall- On the verge of a regime change
9.FAU- Could surprise folks
10 FIU- Could also surprise folks too
11. Charlotte- I just don't know what to expect
12.UTEP- Coaching change at end of season
13. Rice- There will be a lot of bitter cynical fans by the end of the season when bailff stays
14. UAB- will have the best record they have had in the last couple of years.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - MinerInWisconsin - 07-14-2017 12:50 PM

In the spirit of participation and all around good fun, I offer the following. I am not optimistic for UTEP this year but I'm forcing myself, just this once to take the most positive view possible of the Miners FB fortunes for 2017.

UTEP, according to Phil Steele, has the best returning o-line in the conference. UTEP has a good QB who makes good decisions and will now be a junior. The RB position will have several quality candidates. The offense simply has to swerve a bit more towards the passing game to be successful at moving the chains consistently. The defense should be improved with the number of starters coming back and some needed additions. UTEP will not challenge for the west title but a little more consistency on offense and an improved defense could put the Miners at 6-6 this season. They have to win home games vs Rice, UTSA and road games at NMSU, USM, UNT and UAB. They may not win any of those which gives UTEP a new coach at the end of the season or the Miners might get just enough improvement to win 6 and save Kugler's job. Odds are that things won't pan out for the Miners but this is their best shot imo.

1. Marshall - most improved in C-USA
2. MT - solid team
3. LT - Skip loses QB's but doesn't miss a beat
4. WKU - lose several on offense but that QB will keep them in the hunt
5. UTSA - an unexpected loss at UTEP (like last year) keeps them out of 1st
6. ODU - just need a decent QB to contend
7. FAU - lots of starters back and new coach moves them up
8. Rice - new QB and lots of returning starters makes them improved. Losing a close one at UTEP is a tough pill to swallow.
9. UTEP - somewhat better than expected and a surprise 6-6 record with no bowl to go to.
10. USM - takes a step back this year.
11. FIU - could surprise
12. UNT - watching a little of the game vs UTEP made me put them here
13. Charlotte - won't be bad at all
14. UAB - fresh start but last or close to it

Overall there will be a number of improved teams making competition pretty hot for the bowl bids.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - TribeNiner - 07-14-2017 12:56 PM

1. LTU
2. WKU
3. MT
4. ODU
5. UNT
6. Marshall
7. USM
8. Charlotte
9. Rice
10. UTSA
11. UTEP
12. FAU
13. FIU
14. UAB

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - ThreeifbyLightning - 07-14-2017 12:57 PM

I don't understand these comments that wkcc is the champs until someone knocks them off ergo I must put them at #1. While it is true they are the champs until they are not (obvious statement is obvious) what does that have to do with ranking teams this year? That's backward looking not forward looking.

For those of you who think they are going to be the best this season then by all means put them #1. But I don't get well I'm just going to put them #1 because they were #1 last year. Some seriously deep thinking going on in this thread.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - MinerInWisconsin - 07-14-2017 01:04 PM

(07-14-2017 12:57 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I don't understand these comments that wkcc is the champs until someone knocks them off ergo I must put them at #1. While it is true they are the champs until they are not (obvious statement is obvious) what does that have to do with ranking teams this year? That's backward looking not forward looking.

For those of you who think they are going to be the best this season then by all means put them #1. But I don't get well I'm just going to put them #1 because they were #1 last year. Some seriously deep thinking going on in this thread.

Agree with that. Whoever you think is best THIS coming season, put them 1st. If that's WKU, so be it.

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - odu09 - 07-14-2017 01:28 PM

(07-14-2017 12:57 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  I don't understand these comments that wkcc is the champs until someone knocks them off ergo I must put them at #1. While it is true they are the champs until they are not (obvious statement is obvious) what does that have to do with ranking teams this year? That's backward looking not forward looking.

Obvious statement is obvious, but I think what MOST mean by the statement is WKU has been back to back champions and showing a lot of consistency recently even with not being predicted to finish at the top*. I think even with the coaching turnover they can do it again, but you are right, just because they've done it before doesn't mean that's the reason why they need to be there. I just think they are the most complete team and they continue to prove it on the field.

*sources unclear

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Dawgxas - 07-14-2017 01:50 PM

I've debated on where to put MTSU, WKU, and Tech. Let's be honest, all 3 have weak defenses where a team can easily jump up by 20 or 30 points. Tech led WKU 49-24 late in the third and Tech led 27-7 over MTSU. And Tech's defense might be the worst of the bunch by allowing both teams to come back.
I think Marshall and UTSA will have decent seasons, USM about the same as last season, ODU will revert back to 2014&2015 form with a tougher schedule and UNT will show a slight improvement.

1. MTSU
2. Tech
3. UTSA
4. WKU
5. Marshall
6. USM
7. UNT
8. ODU
9. FIU
10. FAU
11. UTEP
12. Rice
13. Charlotte
14. UAB

RE: CUSAbbs Preseason Football Poll - Blue_Trombone - 07-14-2017 01:59 PM

If ODU reverts back to 2014 form, that means we'll beat La Tech at some point in the season. 05-stirthepot05-stirthepot