CSNbbs
My impressions of the ULM campus - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: My impressions of the ULM campus (/thread-821270.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - USAJag2011 - 07-04-2017 12:40 PM

(07-04-2017 12:37 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 12:29 PM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 12:03 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  Might be the best thread I’ve ever seen here.

Two schools with barely a pot to piss in arguing who has the bigger pot.

2 months to go!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need attention don't you?

I’m good, but thank you for noticing me.

No worries. No one should be lonely on the holidays 04-cheers

My impressions of the ULM campus - WolfBird - 07-04-2017 12:41 PM

(07-04-2017 12:40 PM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 12:03 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  Might be the best thread I’ve ever seen here.

2 months to go!!

Should I post pics of our new toys too or just keep stirring this thread up?

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - USAJag2011 - 07-04-2017 12:44 PM

(07-04-2017 12:41 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  

2 months to go!!

You can do whatever you want, this is America! (Doesn't mean anyone cares though).

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Golota - 07-04-2017 01:35 PM

(07-04-2017 12:41 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  

2 months to go!!

What school? I like to see what's going on at other universities.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - bluephi1914 - 07-04-2017 02:37 PM

WolfBird, go ahead and post the pics. We all like to see progress on one another's campuses.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Usajags - 07-04-2017 03:16 PM

Just took the edge off the boredom and rode down to LaTech and Grambling.

We'll start with LaTech, campus felt bigger, but it should, it's a bigger school. Looks like they have recently torn down a building on campus and were cleaning that up. They are rebuilding the press box on the football stadium. Considering this is who ULM is directly recruiting against, I give LaTech the upper hand on the facilities I could see. Baseball, basketball, soccer and softball stadiums all looked equal.

Now for Grambling. I'm unable to discribe what I thought it would be, but it was much larger and nicer then I expected. The campus maintenance was behind, grass needed to be cut, things like that, but over all nicer then I expected. They are replacing the field turf in the football stadium, which was basic but nice. It is FBS size and would be easily expandable in the bowl it sits in. The campus had some noticeably new buildings such as the Student Union building. Baseball stadium is on the opposite side of campus, and is small. The field, dugouts, cages and bullpen all need to be updated. For a campus for less then 4,000 students, it was huge. Maybe management of that school has turned a corner and they are coming back around. The basketball arena looked to be newer then the other two schools. Softball and soccer were equal to the other schools.

The end result is Louisiana has 3, all major sports playing schools, within 30 miles of each other. Two FBS and one FCS with a huge football history, even if kids today don't know that history. They are all recruiting in an area that isn't heavily populated, all competing for the same kids. And doing it under the same university system umbrella. Without the right administration, it's would be easy to fall behind the other two in the facility wars.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Golota - 07-04-2017 03:33 PM

We also all recruit outside that area. What are you doing in Monroe anyways?

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Usajags - 07-04-2017 04:02 PM

(07-04-2017 03:33 PM)Golota Wrote:  We also all recruit outside that area. What are you doing in Monroe anyways?

Work brought me here. Heading home tomorrow.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - WinstonTheWolf - 07-04-2017 06:55 PM

2 months to go!!

If I recall correctly, USA's endowment drwarfs stAte's . . .

My impressions of the ULM campus - WolfBird - 07-04-2017 06:56 PM

(07-04-2017 06:55 PM)WinstonTheWolf Wrote:  

2 months to go!!

I’m sure it does.

Fortunately they have never beaten our football team so I am able to rest a bit easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Arrowhead - 07-04-2017 07:37 PM

(07-04-2017 04:02 PM)Usajags Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 03:33 PM)Golota Wrote:  We also all recruit outside that area. What are you doing in Monroe anyways?

Work brought me here. Heading home tomorrow.

If you get really bored I would head to Flying Tiger Brewery in downtown Monroe and have a beer. Really cool microbrewery. Even has the front of a P-40 Warhawk above the bar.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Usajags - 07-04-2017 08:05 PM

(07-04-2017 06:56 PM)WolfBird Wrote:  

2 months to go!!

I’m sure it does.

Fortunately they have never beaten our football team so I am able to rest a bit easier.

Without looking it up, I'd put our endowment up against anyone in the conference.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - USAJag2011 - 07-04-2017 08:53 PM

(07-04-2017 08:05 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

2 months to go!!

I’m sure it does.

Without looking it up, I'd put our endowment up against anyone in the conference.

We are very well endowed.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - BRtransplant - 07-05-2017 04:59 AM

(07-04-2017 03:47 PM)TaxusExpress Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 03:16 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Just took the edge off the boredom and rode down to LaTech and Grambling.

We'll start with LaTech, campus felt bigger, but it should, it's a bigger school. Looks like they have recently torn down a building on campus and were cleaning that up. They are rebuilding the press box on the football stadium. Considering this is who ULM is directly recruiting against, I give LaTech the upper hand on the facilities I could see. Baseball, basketball, soccer and softball stadiums all looked equal.

Now for Grambling. I'm unable to discribe what I thought it would be, but it was much larger and nicer then I expected. The campus maintenance was behind, grass needed to be cut, things like that, but over all nicer then I expected. They are replacing the field turf in the football stadium, which was basic but nice. It is FBS size and would be easily expandable in the bowl it sits in. The campus had some noticeably new buildings such as the Student Union building. Baseball stadium is on the opposite side of campus, and is small. The field, dugouts, cages and bullpen all need to be updated. For a campus for less then 4,000 students, it was huge. Maybe management of that school has turned a corner and they are coming back around. The basketball arena looked to be newer then the other two schools. Softball and soccer were equal to the other schools.

The end result is Louisiana has 3, all major sports playing schools, within 30 miles of each other. Two FBS and one FCS with a huge football history, even if kids today don't know that history. They are all recruiting in an area that isn't heavily populated, all competing for the same kids. And doing it under the same university system umbrella. Without the right administration, it's would be easy to fall behind the other two in the facility wars.

Glad to hear they have grass. Went years back, looked tired and worn down.

Welcome to Louisiana politics, no sane reason to have 3 universities within 30 miles much less 2 within 5 miles. It's 2017.

Grambling University was sorely needed when it was established. It, like all other historically black colleges, was established because of racial segregation. Now, even though the primary reason for GSU's existence is no more, it is too politically incorrect to even speak of ever shutting it down.

Today, the two HBC's in Louisiana remain a drain on Louisiana taxpayers solely for political reasons. The vast majority of black high school students that meet the academic requirements of La Tech, ULM, UNO, or ULL, attend one of those schools over GSU or Southern. Though GSU and Southern are no longer needed, the citizens of Louisiana will be stuck paying the price for this political correctness for a long time to come. The same can be said about almost all HBC's.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - TrueBlueDrew - 07-05-2017 09:03 AM

(07-04-2017 08:53 PM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 08:05 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

2 months to go!!

I’m sure it does.

We are very well endowed.

I just looked it up and how the hell does USA have a $500 Million endowment and is only a tier 2 school that's not even top 100 in the region? That's like every other SBC endowment combined. 4 times that of Georgia State like what are y'all doing with all of that money?

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - panama - 07-05-2017 09:35 AM

I think we are at about $190M to $200M. Of course I think a lot of building projects are leveraged against that because foundation assets were at $450M or so last year. Will be interesting to see how the current fundraising drive affects the endowment. I believe we are over $320M raised so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Usajags - 07-05-2017 10:09 AM

(07-05-2017 04:59 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 03:16 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Just took the edge off the boredom and rode down to LaTech and Grambling.

Welcome to Louisiana politics, no sane reason to have 3 universities within 30 miles much less 2 within 5 miles. It's 2017.

Grambling University was sorely needed when it was established. It, like all other historically black colleges, was established because of racial segregation. Now, even though the primary reason for GSU's existence is no more, it is too politically incorrect to even speak of ever shutting it down.

Today, the two HBC's in Louisiana remain a drain on Louisiana taxpayers solely for political reasons. The vast majority of black high school students that meet the academic requirements of La Tech, ULM, UNO, or ULL, attend one of those schools over GSU or Southern. Though GSU and Southern are no longer needed, the citizens of Louisiana will be stuck paying the price for this political correctness for a long time to come. The same can be said about almost all HBC's.

The two public HBCU's in Alabama are both well positioned in the state. Alabama A&M has an endowment of $119milliom and sits on 880 acres, Alabama State's endowment is $86.5 mil. Except for UA-Huntsville for A&M and AU-Montgomery for State, neither university is relatively close to another public university, and neither UAH or AUM play football. If they could shake the HBCU designation, they would just become intrastate regional universities. For what it's worth, there are white students on both campus', I've seen them on their athletic teams.

Also, Alabama State recently built their new OCS, and it is exactly what I want at South!!!

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Cajun_lannister - 07-05-2017 11:08 AM

(07-05-2017 10:09 AM)Usajags Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 04:59 AM)BRtransplant Wrote:  

The two public HBCU's in Alabama are both well positioned in the state. Alabama A&M has an endowment of $119milliom and sits on 880 acres, Alabama State's endowment is $86.5 mil. Except for UA-Huntsville for A&M and AU-Montgomery for State, neither university is relatively close to another public university, and neither UAH or AUM play football. If they could shake the HBCU designation, they would just become intrastate regional universities. For what it's worth, there are white students on both campus', I've seen them on their athletic teams.

Also, Alabama State recently built their new OCS, and it is exactly what I want at South!!!

Grambling endowment 4 mill
Southern 9.6 mill (SUNO lowest graduation rate in the nation)

The state needs to close these and NWST , Nicholls , McNeese

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - Usajags - 07-05-2017 11:25 AM

To many years of corruption at the school and state levels. Louisiana isn't exactly known as the most trustworthy state when it comes to that. It's a shame since Louisiana has some of the best culture in the country.

RE: My impressions of the ULM campus - runamuck - 07-05-2017 01:48 PM

(07-05-2017 09:35 AM)panama Wrote:  I think we are at about $190M to $200M. Of course I think a lot of building projects are leveraged against that because foundation assets were at $450M or so last year. Will be interesting to see how the current fundraising drive affects the endowment. I believe we are over $320M raised so far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think uta is $141 mil. for 2016..