CSNbbs
Maine restaurant workers successfully lobby to lower the minimum wage - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Maine restaurant workers successfully lobby to lower the minimum wage (/thread-821020.html)

Maine restaurant workers successfully lobby to lower the minimum wage - Kaplony - 06-29-2017 10:42 AM

http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2017/06/29/maine-restaurant-workers-successfully-lobby-to-lower-minimum-wage.html

Quote:Last November, the Maine State Legislature voted to raise the minimum wage for restaurant servers. Then in mid-June, they voted to lower it back down.

And lots of Maine’s restaurant workers were thrilled.

The minimum wage for tipped workers in Maine is half that of the state’s regular minimum wage ($9). It’s called the “tip credit” rule, as it allows employers to take a credit of up to 50 percent from their employees’ wages, because servers will generally make that money back (and hopefully more) in tips. If tips and wages, together, don't equal the state's minimum wage, employers are required to make up the difference.

Quote:State Senator James Dill, a Democrat who initially voted to raise wages, told the Washington Post that after the Nov. referendum passed, he received “hundreds” of calls and emails from servers who were worried about their livelihood.

As a result, Dill threw his support behind a Republican measure to return the “tip credit” rule. After passing through the Senate on June 7, the bill was brought before the House on June 13, where it passed with a vote of 110-37.

Quote:As the Washington Post reports, servers were worried about the ramifications of the new laws for two reasons: first, that it would force employers to raise prices on their menu items, which could affect their current tips; and second, and perhaps more importantly, that employers might be forced to cut servers’ shifts as a result.

“I don’t need to be ‘saved,’ and I’ll be damned if small groups of uninformed people are voting on my livelihood,” said Sue Vallenza, a Maine bartender who spoke to the Post. Vallenza further said she’s already seeing less in tips as a result of customers who believe the wage hike had already went into effect.

RE: Maine restaurant workers successfully lobby to lower the minimum wage - UofMstateU - 06-29-2017 10:44 AM

I was just about to post this for Bison. We told her the servers would hate this and it would cut into their money.

“I don’t need to be ‘saved,’ and I’ll be damned if small groups of uninformed people are voting on my livelihood,” said Sue Vallenza, a Maine bartender who spoke to the Post.

RE: Maine restaurant workers successfully lobby to lower the minimum wage - Lord Stanley - 06-29-2017 11:17 AM

(06-29-2017 10:44 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  “I don’t need to be ‘saved,’ and I’ll be damned if small groups of uninformed people are voting on my livelihood,” said Sue Vallenza, a Maine bartender who spoke to the Post.

Kudos to Sue, but that's not exactly the mentality of many in food services.

(something says she's a tough broad regardless.)