CSNbbs
More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------- Forum: Tom Mays Memorial Recruiting (/forum-505.html)
+------- Thread: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments (/thread-820064.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - EricSigEpTNBeta183 - 06-14-2017 10:47 AM

I'm sure I'm gonna get the whole "What does Jason Smith know?" Or "their show is terrible, all they do is bash the Tigers" . . . Besides being an unoriginal narrative, it's untrue as well. Anyways . . . L. Jason Smith tweeted this out today

"I want Tubby Smith to shine at Memphis. But when I hear stories like the one I'm going to tell you all today, I grow more discouraged."

Stay turned . . .

(On a side note Jason has always been on top of stories and has SOLID sources so I tend to believe him when he speaks up)

And on a COMPLETELY unrelated note, Vegas odds came out yesterday that has the over under win total at 8.5 for the football team. I got the over on that. Go Tigers!

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - tiger1016 - 06-14-2017 11:01 AM

IMO J&J show is pure trash. But to each his own.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - EricSigEpTNBeta183 - 06-14-2017 11:07 AM

Doesn't change the fact that they are accurate with their news. Like it or not that's the truth

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Stammers - 06-14-2017 11:12 AM

(06-14-2017 10:47 AM)EricSigEpTNBeta183 Wrote:  I'm sure I'm gonna get the whole "What does Jason Smith know?" Or "their show is terrible, all they do is bash the Tigers" . . . Besides being an unoriginal narrative, it's untrue as well. Anyways . . . L. Jason Smith tweeted this out today

"I want Tubby Smith to shine at Memphis. But when I hear stories like the one I'm going to tell you all today, I grow more discouraged."

Stay turned . . .

(On a side note Jason has always been on top of stories and has SOLID sources so I tend to believe him when he speaks up)

And on a COMPLETELY unrelated note, Vegas odds came out yesterday that has the over under win total at 8.5 for the football team. I got the over on that. Go Tigers!

I will wait to hear the story, but in possible defense of Tubby, access is the major determinant to what comes out in the media. When the media is granted access, they will be very wary of coming out with anything negative. We saw that with Pastner's first 5 seasons.

On the flip side, Wineburger and Vernon had no access to Cal, so they came out with negative stories all the time. If Tubby isn't granting much access then I would think that the media will be more willing to come out with negative stories.

I already believe the story before hearing it. All I'm saying is that there were plenty of negative stories about Pastner that never saw the light of day.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - tiger1016 - 06-14-2017 11:12 AM

(06-14-2017 11:07 AM)EricSigEpTNBeta183 Wrote:  Doesn't change the fact that they are accurate with their news. Like it or not that's the truth

Respectfully disagree but again to each his own.
I stopped listening to them after Martin said he knew Nichols really well and everything he said since Nichols departure from Virginia has turned out to be untrue. They are in the business of getting more listeners, so if their news can have a controversial slant, they will go for it regardless of its authenticity.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - EricSigEpTNBeta183 - 06-14-2017 11:16 AM

Eh it was just another bad recruiting story. I expected more out of it but what was said wasn't shocking and by all accounts it's true. With that being said, who knows why Tubby didn't want the kid. Could have valid reasons.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - btiger - 06-14-2017 11:17 AM

(06-14-2017 11:16 AM)EricSigEpTNBeta183 Wrote:  Eh it was just another bad recruiting story. I expected more out of it but what was said wasn't shocking and by all accounts it's true. With that being said, who knows why Tubby didn't want the kid. Could have valid reasons.

what kid?

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - FlyingTiger2016 - 06-14-2017 11:27 AM

(06-14-2017 11:17 AM)btiger Wrote:  
(06-14-2017 11:16 AM)EricSigEpTNBeta183 Wrote:  Eh it was just another bad recruiting story. I expected more out of it but what was said wasn't shocking and by all accounts it's true. With that being said, who knows why Tubby didn't want the kid. Could have valid reasons.

what kid?

Deontae Hawkins.

Jonah chimed in on twitter with what's probably the truth. Someone, isn't aggressive enough and isn't communicating well enough, and that person isn't Joe.

But that could be because they didn't want him. Who knows.

Interesting piece of click-bait.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - EricSigEpTNBeta183 - 06-14-2017 11:27 AM

Deontae Hawkins. Grad transfer (Illinois State) who committed to BC but was brought to campus and to Tubby Smith by Geron Johnson this past weekend. Apparently the coaches kept telling Jobnson that they wanted his friend and one of them told the coaches that he wanted to decommit from BC and commit to Memphis. Memphis told him that they would call him the next day but never called. He's now set up visits to Michigan, LSU and Ohio State. (Per the story on the J&J show)

6'8 Forward averaged 14 points and 6.5brebounds per game last year and shot 44% from 3pt range

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Tiger57 - 06-14-2017 11:30 AM

Sounds like a good player. Wonder why Coach Smith balked?

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Tiger1983 - 06-14-2017 11:39 AM

(06-14-2017 11:30 AM)Tiger57 Wrote:  Sounds like a good player. Wonder why Coach Smith balked?

I also wonder if it was a blunder.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Stammers - 06-14-2017 11:39 AM

(06-14-2017 11:27 AM)EricSigEpTNBeta183 Wrote:  Deontae Hawkins. Grad transfer (Illinois State) who committed to BC but was brought to campus and to Tubby Smith by Geron Johnson this past weekend. Apparently the coaches kept telling Jobnson that they wanted him and he wanted to decommit from BC and commit to Memphis. Memphis told him that they would call him the next day but never called. He's now set up visits to Michigan, LSU and Ohio State. (Per the story on the J&J show)

He averaged 14 points and 6.5brebounds per game last year and shot 44% from 3pt range

I'm on the fence as far as wanting him goes. This year will probably be a write off except that our bigs who have ZERO D1 experience need to see the court. Hawkins didn't play against top flight competition, but Illinois State did have an RPI of 39 last year, so he was a good player on a good team.

The other component is whether or not we believe what the media is saying. IF Geron did bring him in for a visit we were obviously serious (or should have been), and IF we weren't honest, then that is a horrible story.

I don't know what to believe, but I do know that there is a huge pile of negative stories and a few positive stories, so there's that.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Ttaylor - 06-14-2017 11:57 AM

(06-14-2017 11:39 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(06-14-2017 11:27 AM)EricSigEpTNBeta183 Wrote:  Deontae Hawkins. Grad transfer (Illinois State) who committed to BC but was brought to campus and to Tubby Smith by Geron Johnson this past weekend. Apparently the coaches kept telling Jobnson that they wanted him and he wanted to decommit from BC and commit to Memphis. Memphis told him that they would call him the next day but never called. He's now set up visits to Michigan, LSU and Ohio State. (Per the story on the J&J show)

He averaged 14 points and 6.5brebounds per game last year and shot 44% from 3pt range

I'm on the fence as far as wanting him goes. This year will probably be a write off except that our bigs who have ZERO D1 experience need to see the court. Hawkins didn't play against top flight competition, but Illinois State did have an RPI of 39 last year, so he was a good player on a good team.

The other component is whether or not we believe what the media is saying. IF Geron did bring him in for a visit we were obviously serious (or should have been), and IF we weren't honest, then that is a horrible story.

I don't know what to believe, but I do know that there is a huge pile of negative stories and a few positive stories, so there's that.

Who gives a **** about what those untalented, rating chasing baffoons have to say?Only those who agree with their nonsense. Jason sucked as the Tigers' beat writer and he sucks even more on the radio. Let the season play out...geesh!

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - RandyW_Class83 - 06-14-2017 12:02 PM

I have no idea of the details, so without any knowledge of specifics, I can only speculate like everyone else.

It is entirely possible that one or more of the following articles might be a contributing factor:

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/basketball/men/isu-s-hawkins-suspended-indefinitely-following-arrest/article_96b97218-e2a7-5066-838d-feb649098f11.html

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/rothstein-illinois-state-transfer-hawkins-commits-boston-college/

Or, there could be other factors unknown. People in general tend to over react without determining all the facts.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Stammers - 06-14-2017 12:03 PM

(06-14-2017 11:57 AM)Ttaylor Wrote:  

Who gives a **** about what those untalented, rating chasing baffoons have to say?Only those who agree with their nonsense. Jason sucked as the Tigers' beat writer and he sucks even more on the radio. Let the season play out...geesh!

Their source is probably Geron Johnson, so there is that and also if it is true, I would hate for Geron to be disrespected like that. He has been the one pillar who has defended Pastner, Tubby and MEMPHIS.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - memtiger1987 - 06-14-2017 12:05 PM

Not really following this story or player, but he sounds more like the guy we needed last year. Unless he is a high level talent, I'd rather see playing time go towards developing the guys that will be here in 2018.

Then again, scholarships are available. Maybe he just wouldn't be a good fit or just not going to help.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Stammers - 06-14-2017 12:07 PM

(06-14-2017 12:05 PM)memtiger1987 Wrote:  Not really following this story or player, but he sounds more like the guy we needed last year. Unless he is a high level talent, I'd rather see playing time go towards developing the guys that will be here in 2018.

Then again, scholarships are available. Maybe he just wouldn't be a good fit or just not going to help.

This is bang on.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - FlyingTiger2016 - 06-14-2017 12:10 PM

I think Stammers is on the right track. You shouldn't of have him in if it's this late and you don't want him. I don't know if it's horrible, but it ain't good. Disappointing might be a better word. Something was lost in communication, it's someone's on the staff's fault. I'm OK with a couple mistakes, if you make up for them. Those two haven't made up for them.

Ttaylor is also right in that J&J are making a big deal out of a minor story. Y'all remember the Toriano Stokes story right? How Tubby was lazy and we were only going to end up with Stokes in the late period? How did that turn out?

I would take anything those guys say with a grain of salt. They are shock jocks, and there job is too get you mad so you will tune in to their awful show.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - Stammers - 06-14-2017 12:23 PM

(06-14-2017 12:10 PM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  

I think Stammers is on the right track. You shouldn't of have him in if it's this late and you don't want him. I don't know if it's horrible, but it ain't good. Disappointing might be a better word. Something was lost in communication, it's someone's on the staff's fault. I'm OK with a couple mistakes, if you make up for them. Those two haven't made up for them.

Ttaylor is also right in that J&J are making a big deal out of a minor story. Y'all remember the Toriano Stokes story right? How Tubby was lazy and we were only going to end up with Stokes in the late period? How did that turn out?

I would take anything those guys say with a grain of salt. They are shock jocks, and there job is too get you mad so you will tune in to their awful show.

IMO, Tubby's job since he got here was to have us humming by the 2019-2020 season. His first year was a complete fail, losing most of the roster was a complete fail and this year's recruiting class isn't horrible but isn't good.

The goal remains the same. Write this year off and focus on being your best for 2019-2020. Maybe Nick King and Hawkins would help us win more games, but at the end of the day they aren't worth taking minutes away from players that we need to get experience to perform next year.

IF a point guard the same caliber as Nick King or Hawkins is available, you grab him without hesitation. He would for sure make us better and will give Martin much needed rest.

RE: More Discouraging Tubby Smith news/story or comments - michaelf - 06-14-2017 12:35 PM

This may have something to do with the decision:

Quote:NORMAL — Illinois State basketball coach Dan Muller announced Monday that junior forward Deontae Hawkins has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.

Muller gave no specifics while making the announcement in a one-sentence university release Monday afternoon, but McLean County court records indicate the 23-year-old Hawkins was arrested early Sunday morning and charged Monday with driving under the influence of alcohol, illegal transportation of alcohol and driving with a suspended license.

Hawkins was released on bond and is due in court Nov. 17 for a pretrial hearing.

“The only thing I’ll say about that is disappointed, of course, and as usual we’ll keep it in house and get information out as we decide,” Muller said Tuesday at the MVC Media Day in St. Louis.

Asked if Hawkins will still be practicing, Muller said, “We’re still gathering information. As of right now, nothing’s been decided.”

The 6-foot-8 Hawkins averaged 10.3 points and a team-high 5.8 rebounds last season, appearing in all 32 games and making 31 starts. He also made 18 starts in 2014-15 and played in 25 games, averaging 7.4 points and 5.2 rebounds.

Hawkins, who is healthy after undergoing offseason surgery for a broken bone in his right foot, is among four returning starters. He led ISU in 3-pointers last year with 52.

The suspension is the second for Hawkins during his Redbird career. He was suspended by Muller for a violation of team rules after two games of an exhibition trip to Spain in August 2015.