CSNbbs
USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend (/thread-818765.html)

Pages: 1 2

USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - TroyFootball05 - 05-27-2017 10:45 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/02/28/top-10-games-college-football-opening-weekend/98523350/

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - troutbummike - 05-27-2017 12:35 PM

Sun Belt!

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - TrueBlueDrew - 05-27-2017 03:14 PM

It's crazy that no CUSA match ups are on that list, you know, since they have so much more perceived respect than us and all...

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - TheOriginalBigApp - 05-28-2017 08:51 AM

Sun Belt teams have to start delivering in these games. Any different bounce of a fumble against Tennessee last year would have made an immeasurable amount of difference for this conference.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - DoubletapWolf - 05-28-2017 09:11 AM

(05-28-2017 08:51 AM)TheOriginalBigApp Wrote:  Sun Belt teams have to start delivering in these games. Any different bounce of a fumble against Tennessee last year would have made an immeasurable amount of difference for this conference.

Agree . . the SBC must win some of these P5 games if we as a Conference are to raise our image from a National perspective.

App played an awesome game against Tennessee; you guys were impressive and represented the SBC well. 04-bow

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - Michael in Raleigh - 05-28-2017 12:24 PM

(05-27-2017 03:14 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  It's crazy that no CUSA match ups are on that list, you know, since they have so much more perceived respect than us and all...

I respect WKU. They're turning into a good program and may end up being one of the better programs to have moved up from FCS since 2000, after a rough few years of transition. Put them back in the Sun Belt and they'd compete right away with App, A-State, and Troy in the conference title chase.

The rest? I doubt those teams would have any better of a conference record if they were plopped in the Sun Belt than they have as C-USA programs.

Also, the appearance of two SBC teams on this list is testament to good scheduling by Sun Belt AD's as well as how well the teams have performed.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - Oldyeller - 05-28-2017 08:32 PM

(05-28-2017 12:24 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 03:14 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  It's crazy that no CUSA match ups are on that list, you know, since they have so much more perceived respect than us and all...

I respect WKU. They're turning into a good program and may end up being one of the better programs to have moved up from FCS since 2000, after a rough few years of transition. Put them back in the Sun Belt and they'd compete right away with App, A-State, and Troy in the conference title chase.

The rest? I doubt those teams would have any better of a conference record if they were plopped in the Sun Belt than they have as C-USA programs.

Also, the appearance of two SBC teams on this list is testament to good scheduling by Sun Belt AD's as well as how well the teams have performed.

Michael you seem like a smart fella until about sentence three.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - chiefsfan - 05-28-2017 11:20 PM

I'm not sure how Troy/Boise got on that list. This is not exactly the Boise team that has been challenging for Access bowls. Don't see fans trolling the channel lineup looking for that particular game.

I see the value in App/Georgia given it's an improving P5 against one of the top G5's in the country, and it's enough that it got an ESPN Primetime telecast.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - Michael in Raleigh - 05-29-2017 05:18 AM

(05-28-2017 08:32 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  

You don't think WKU would compete for a Sun Belt title in football if they returned? It's all hypothetical, but still.

I'm not saying the league should try to bring them back. I'm just saying if for whatever reason they did come back, they'd be one of the favorites to win the league title.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - Oldyeller - 05-29-2017 07:13 AM

(05-29-2017 05:18 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

You don't think WKU would compete for a Sun Belt title in football if they returned? It's all hypothetical, but still.

I'm not saying the league should try to bring them back. I'm just saying if for whatever reason they did come back, they'd be one of the favorites to win the league title.

WKU would even out the conference and give Ark state a little more than is currently offered by the divisions but limiting championship prospects to those three is wishful thinking. Let's not forget GS has a coach with more than one year at the helm and an OC that has the potential to add 10 or 15 yards of offense, which may well have changed the outcome of the Ark state and UL games last year and may have been enough to close the 10 point gap in Mississippi. We'll see but omitting GS who beat Troy last year given the dumpster fire is a bit CrAppish.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - APPdiesel - 05-29-2017 10:50 AM

(05-29-2017 07:13 AM)Oldyeller Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 05:18 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

WKU would even out the conference and give Ark state a little more than is currently offered by the divisions but limiting championship prospects to those three is wishful thinking. Let's not forget GS has a coach with more than one year at the helm and an OC that has the potential to add 10 or 15 yards of offense, which may well have changed the outcome of the Ark state and UL games last year and may have been enough to close the 10 point gap in Mississippi. We'll see but omitting GS who beat Troy last year given the dumpster fire is a bit CrAppish.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have 11 wins. I hate that argument. "Well if this had gone our way...blah blah blah".

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - panama - 05-29-2017 12:46 PM

(05-28-2017 11:20 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I'm not sure how Troy/Boise got on that list. This is not exactly the Boise team that has been challenging for Access bowls. Don't see fans trolling the channel lineup looking for that particular game.

I see the value in App/Georgia given it's an improving P5 against one of the top G5's in the country, and it's enough that it got an ESPN Primetime telecast.
Weren't both of those teams 10-3 last year?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - TroyFootball05 - 05-29-2017 02:01 PM

(05-29-2017 12:46 PM)panama Wrote:  
(05-28-2017 11:20 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I'm not sure how Troy/Boise got on that list. This is not exactly the Boise team that has been challenging for Access bowls. Don't see fans trolling the channel lineup looking for that particular game.

Yeah. His point though was that Boise State isn't what they were 2008-2011 where they went 50-3. Those were the glory years for Boise State and may be the best they ever have. From 2013 to 2016 they're 39-14. They are still a Top 3 G5 program, but they aren't anywhere near being in a national championship discussion like they were. Overall people still regard them as a dominant G5 program, and Troy had one of the biggest turnarounds in college football history. This is a dream match-up for Troy that fits well within in our range of beatable opponents.

10-3 in the MWC vs the SBC is a little different. I still it's a winnable matchup, but it would be an upset if we beat them.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - panama - 05-29-2017 02:05 PM

(05-29-2017 02:01 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

Yeah. His point though was that Boise State isn't what they were 2008-2011 where they went 50-3. Those were the glory years for Boise State and may be the best they ever have. From 2013 to 2016 they're 39-14. They are still a Top 3 G5 program, but they aren't anywhere near being in a national championship discussion like they were. Overall people still regard them as a dominant G5 program, and Troy had one of the biggest turnarounds in college football history. This is a dream match-up for Troy that fits well within in our range of beatable opponents.

10-3 in the MWC vs the SBC is a little different. I still it's a winnable matchup, but it would be an upset if we beat them.
Boise has made a name and brand for themselves. It will be a highly watched game.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - APPdiesel - 05-29-2017 07:26 PM

(05-29-2017 02:05 PM)panama Wrote:  

Boise has made a name and brand for themselves. It will be a highly watched game.

Absolutely the power of becoming a big time brand through winning. Even when they're "down" they still get national attention.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - panama - 05-29-2017 08:29 PM

(05-29-2017 07:26 PM)APPdiesel Wrote:  

Absolutely the power of becoming a big time brand through winning. Even when they're "down" they still get national attention.

I mean if 10-3 is down...

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - APPdiesel - 05-30-2017 12:14 AM

(05-29-2017 08:29 PM)panama Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 12:46 PM)panama Wrote:  Weren't both of those teams 10-3 last year?

Again I specifically put down in quotes to reiterate the previous posters point. I thought that was clear enough.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - panama - 05-30-2017 01:08 AM

Lol

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - thelateshow - 05-30-2017 03:14 PM

(05-30-2017 12:14 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 08:29 PM)panama Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 02:01 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Yeah. His point though was that Boise State isn't what they were 2008-2011 where they went 50-3. Those were the glory years for Boise State and may be the best they ever have. From 2013 to 2016 they're 39-14. They are still a Top 3 G5 program, but they aren't anywhere near being in a national championship discussion like they were. Overall people still regard them as a dominant G5 program, and Troy had one of the biggest turnarounds in college football history. This is a dream match-up for Troy that fits well within in our range of beatable opponents.

Again I specifically put down in quotes to reiterate the previous posters point. I thought that was clear enough.

I mean....they're 31-9 under Harsin, won the Fiesta Bowl just a couple of years ago, smoked NIU in the Poinsettia Bowl, and went 10-3 last year. I'd say Boise is still a damn good program.

No, they're not perennial top 5 any more. That probably left with Peterson, but they're still the marquee G5 program.

RE: USA Today - Ten Best Games For College Football's Opening Weekend - SpeedkingATL - 05-30-2017 03:42 PM

Every year, every UGA fan I work with tells me "this is the year" they win the SEC and make a run for the NC. I hope those plans and dreams can be spoiled on Sept 2nd by the Mountaineers! As for the Apps, it's time to win another one of these big P5 matchups. Let's hope the Dawgs are looking ahead to Notre Dame...unfortunately none of my UGA buddies appears to be overlooking the Apps.