CSNbbs
NCAA golf championship - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: NCAA golf championship (/thread-818326.html)

Pages: 1 2

NCAA golf championship - golf4501 - 05-21-2017 08:45 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned this before but NIU is the NCAA golf championships host (both women and men), or maybe not given the somewhat negative nature this board takes. 05-stirthepot

I was out there volunteering today, and loved all the NIU stuff I saw. The coaches I talked to all had real positive things to say. It will be on the golf channel the next couple of nights and then again next week for the men.

Wish the weather would be a a little better, but his is such a positive event for the school. Kent State is in 2nd place right now right behind Northwestern (go MAC!)

Kudos to Jerry Rich for being such a great alumni of the school and giving back the way he does.

Sugar Grove isn't that far from the Suburbs and it's easy to get there and park, even if you are a marginal golf fan, check it out!

RE: NCAA golf championship - scottiep12 - 05-21-2017 08:50 PM

Volunteering during the men's. can't wait should be fun.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DiehardHuskie - 05-22-2017 07:12 AM

Glad to see you survived yesterday's weather in those shorts, Golf. I was dressed for it and freezing, couldn't imagine how you were feeling.

NIU staff has done an amazing job. Tremendous positive exposure for the school. They are putting in ridiculously long hours last week and this week. The events are back to back, so it's two straight weeks of play.

Was watching Golf Channel last night after volunteering all day. They showed highlights, which included a shot of a flag with NIU logo. After the segment, there was a promo for shop golf channel and they showed Oregon, LSU and NIU hats.

What a tremendous event for NIU. We should all be very proud.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DiehardHuskie - 05-22-2017 08:16 PM

Congrats to Kent State. The Lady Flashes finish in 8th and advance to the match play matches to decide the national champion. Their #1 player with a clutch up and down out of the sand on 18 to save par. Bogey would've sent them to a playoff with North Carolina.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DogPoundNorth - 05-22-2017 08:26 PM

It was a very exciting finish today in both the team championship race to get to the match play and the stroke play championship. The girl from Wake Forest must feel awful tonight, she had it wrapped up. Congrats to the ASU girl though.

RE: NCAA golf championship - NIU05 - 05-24-2017 08:35 PM

(05-21-2017 08:45 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  Surprised nobody has mentioned this before but NIU is the NCAA golf championships host (both women and men), or maybe not given the somewhat negative nature this board takes. 05-stirthepot

I was out there volunteering today, and loved all the NIU stuff I saw. The coaches I talked to all had real positive things to say. It will be on the golf channel the next couple of nights and then again next week for the men.

Wish the weather would be a a little better, but his is such a positive event for the school. Kent State is in 2nd place right now right behind Northwestern (go MAC!)

Kudos to Jerry Rich for being such a great alumni of the school and giving back the way he does.

Sugar Grove isn't that far from the Suburbs and it's easy to get there and park, even if you are a marginal golf fan, check it out!

Great for volunteering. I saw it on golf channel, course looked great. Awesome facility. Very talented competitors.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DiehardHuskie - 05-24-2017 09:55 PM

Arizona State golfer Monica Vaughn wins the individual championship.

Arizona State wins team championship, defeating Northwestern in the finals match.

Thursday is men's practice round. Tournament begins Friday.

RE: NCAA golf championship - golf4501 - 05-25-2017 06:45 AM

(05-24-2017 08:35 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 08:45 PM)golf4501 Wrote:  Surprised nobody has mentioned this before but NIU is the NCAA golf championships host (both women and men), or maybe not given the somewhat negative nature this board takes. 05-stirthepot

Great for volunteering. I saw it on golf channel, course looked great. Awesome facility. Very talented competitors.

I was definitely impressed on the talent level of the women. The hole I worked on I saw one chunked shot all day, and she was to the left in some muddy ground. I saw one competitor from North Carolina take a hybrid out of the trap, and put it on the green from 190 out. I never saw anyone lose their cool, and they were all real appreciative when I had to mark a ball. It was a great experience!

RE: NCAA golf championship - HuskieFamily - 05-25-2017 08:26 AM

I volunteered as well. Very impressed on how well the tournament has been run. Good look for NIU for sure. Also, agree. These girls were amazingly good.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DiehardHuskie - 05-29-2017 09:32 AM

Been working the men's tournament all weekend and have heard nothing but rave reviews from coaches, parents and spectators for the course and how the event has been put on. Well done, NIU!!!

http://golfweek.com/2017/05/27/ncaa-golf-championship-weather-rich-harvest-farms/

RE: NCAA golf championship - numbersdontlie - 05-29-2017 07:56 PM

Went on Saturday morning. Walked the whole course, it was amazing. Stopped by the NIU hospitality tent. Wish there was a little more NIU singe around for the TV cameras.

RE: NCAA golf championship - acolbert - 05-29-2017 09:55 PM

Went out to today and also was impressed with organization and friendliness of the operation. Saw President Baker in the gallery, modestly playing the part of casual fan.
Only drawback was my 83-year old father having difficulty traversing a 340-acre course. But, staff would occasionally come by in carts and ask if people needed rides.
Loved seeing all the different colleges represented and the school colors worn by fans and players.

RE: NCAA golf championship - uiniu57 - 05-30-2017 09:07 AM

(05-29-2017 09:32 AM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Been working the men's tournament all weekend and have heard nothing but rave reviews from coaches, parents and spectators for the course and how the event has been put on. Well done, NIU!!!

http://golfweek.com/2017/05/27/ncaa-golf-championship-weather-rich-harvest-farms/

Pat on the back, thank you and appreciation to folks like scottiep12, Diehard Huskie, golf4501, HuskieFamily, and numbersdontlie, for volunteer work and to all those supporting with their presence, but disappointing that the article linked above (and other Golfweek coverage) doesn't even mention Northern Illinois University as the host.

RE: NCAA golf championship - huskie1stdown - 05-30-2017 10:35 AM

Illini getting more pub then NIU.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DogPoundNorth - 05-30-2017 11:23 AM

(05-30-2017 10:35 AM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Illini getting more pub then NIU.

Probably because Illinois is playing and all lol. there is an NIU logo on every flag which is nice. But honestly, what are you looking for? There is a big NIU flag at the entrance, one on the course, there is an NIU logo on the scoreboard, and an NIU logo on each hole's flag. Or are you hoping more for the golf channel to say: "This tournament is of course hosted by NIU, the finest institution north of the mason dixon line if you ask me."

RE: NCAA golf championship - Dog Fan - 05-30-2017 11:26 AM

(05-30-2017 11:23 AM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  

Probably because Illinois is playing and all lol. there is an NIU logo on every flag which is nice. But honestly, what are you looking for? There is a big NIU flag at the entrance, one on the course, there is an NIU logo on the scoreboard, and an NIU logo on each hole's flag. Or are you hoping more for the golf channel to say: "This tournament is of course hosted by Northern Iowa, the finest institution north of the mason dixon line if you ask me."

Corrected for you.

RE: NCAA golf championship - DogPoundNorth - 05-30-2017 12:07 PM

(05-30-2017 11:26 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Probably because Illinois is playing and all lol. there is an NIU logo on every flag which is nice. But honestly, what are you looking for? There is a big NIU flag at the entrance, one on the course, there is an NIU logo on the scoreboard, and an NIU logo on each hole's flag. Or are you hoping more for the golf channel to say: "This tournament is of course hosted by Northern Iowa, the finest institution north of the mason dixon line if you ask me."

Corrected for you.

04-cheers good catch lol

RE: NCAA golf championship - NIUCOF'12 - 05-30-2017 12:50 PM

(05-30-2017 11:26 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Corrected for you.

A Tradition Unlike Any Other, mixing up Northern Iowa and Northern Illinois

RE: NCAA golf championship - DiehardHuskie - 05-30-2017 05:55 PM

Oklahoma takes out Illinois in the semis. Boomer Sooner! 02-13-banana

RE: NCAA golf championship - Dtownboys - 05-31-2017 12:33 AM

(05-30-2017 09:07 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(05-29-2017 09:32 AM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Been working the men's tournament all weekend and have heard nothing but rave reviews from coaches, parents and spectators for the course and how the event has been put on. Well done, NIU!!!

Pat on the back, thank you and appreciation to folks like scottiep12, Diehard Huskie, golf4501, HuskieFamily, and numbersdontlie, for volunteer work and to all those supporting with their presence, but disappointing that the article linked above (and other Golfweek coverage) doesn't even mention Northern Illinois University as the host.

Totally agree. Very well run and lots of great exposure for NIU.