CSNbbs
Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Charles Harris Memorial People's Forum (/forum-511.html)
+------ Thread: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" (/thread-818234.html)

Pages: 1 2

Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - TG4 - 05-20-2017 07:06 AM

Move it to Hernandoe?

http://wreg.com/2017/05/19/group-to-protest-against-memphis-in-may-bbq-contest/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=592029e604d30126f7539f4c&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - karter25 - 05-20-2017 10:09 AM

The only color needed to participate in BBQ Fest is GREEN. And lots of it.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - Cletus - 05-20-2017 11:37 AM

Sad commentary

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - tmoneyinmphs - 05-20-2017 03:28 PM

Google says that memphis in may brought in $88 million to the memphis economy last year.

I don't expect a junk mentality to understand that.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - dan o - 05-20-2017 03:38 PM

If only this was a joke.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - Hernando Hills Tiger - 05-20-2017 11:54 PM

(05-20-2017 11:37 AM)Cletus Wrote:  Sad commentary

I too, Cletus, am saddened by this.

But stay out of Hernando. Bad news town.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - TG4 - 05-21-2017 06:36 AM

Made it safely in and out of Downtown Memphis last night without a hitch. LOTS of MPD presence at every intersection along Front St. from Madison to ML King.

Slept well at the brand new Hampton Inn Germantown under the watchful eye of Bert56 and his buddies right next door. This place will be my home base during Football season.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - UofMark - 05-21-2017 07:45 PM

There was no protest at the BBQ Fest. They did something at Overton Square. I'm sure it was about the quality of the 'Rumplestiltskin' performance I witnessed at Messick High School in 1971. We're all lucky to be living in such socially aware times. **

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2017/may/22/barbecue-decoy-surfaces-as-overton-square-protest/

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - 21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha - 05-21-2017 09:30 PM

More than half of our population has little access to things most white folks take for granted, which makes life exponentially harder. And in this town, their own representatives are completely sold out to the plantation-mentality, non-progressive older white guy power elite. The younger generation here is trying to make a statement and a difference. Yes, many here are socially unaware.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - karter25 - 05-21-2017 09:57 PM

(05-21-2017 09:30 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  More than half of our population has little access to things most white folks take for granted, which makes life exponentially harder. And in this town, their own representatives are completely sold out to the plantation-mentality, non-progressive older white guy power elite. The younger generation here is trying to make a statement and a difference. Yes, many here are socially unaware.

No access to what white folks have. NONSENSE. Hard work and determination to break the cycle of poverty and illiteracy will go a long way to making a person an asset and not a burden to the taxpayers. 3rd and 4th generation people living in government assistance living, that was intended for SHORT TERM needs, doesn't give a person the desire or drive to better themselves. Teenagers having multiple babies doesn't do much for a person's ability to better themselves. Many open jobs go unfilled because employers can't find workers, yet go to certain parts of town and see able bodied men and women doing NOTHING all day instead of trying to find a job. Take a visit to the Penal Farm, Women's Jail East or 201 Poplar and see the racial makeup of the inmates. I am on the streets of Memphis all day and in various neighborhoods and a majority of people living in poverty do absolutely nothing to better their situation. Steve Cohen and the politicians they continue to elect have done very little to help their constituents. They promise to make their lives better and yet, I believe close to 50% of Memphians live below the poverty level. If you want to better your way of life, it is up to you to make it happen. The color of your skin has nothing to do with desire, work ethic and integrity. I am totally aware of these facts and I see the good and bad of the area everyday. Blaming race for people's inability to get ahead in life is an excuse and totally untrue.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - BinghamptonNed - 05-22-2017 02:29 PM

(05-20-2017 07:06 AM)TG4 Wrote:  Move it to Hernandoe?

http://wreg.com/2017/05/19/group-to-protest-against-memphis-in-may-bbq-contest/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=592029e604d30126f7539f4c&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

I told the MIMBBQ Contest to take down those "White Only " Signs 03-shhhh

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - snowtiger - 05-22-2017 08:59 PM

White bread only...that's horrible. I don't even like white bread unless it's sourdough.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - AlonsoWDC - 05-23-2017 10:34 AM

White bread is the worst.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - Cletus - 05-23-2017 11:39 AM

(05-21-2017 06:36 AM)TG4 Wrote:  Made it safely in and out of Downtown Memphis last night without a hitch. LOTS of MPD presence at every intersection along Front St. from Madison to ML King.

Slept well at the brand new Hampton Inn Germantown under the watchful eye of Bert56 and his buddies right next door. This place will be my home base during Football season.

This one?

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/tennessee/hampton-inn-and-suites-memphis-germantown-MEMGEHX/index.html

[Image: HamptonInnSuitesMemphisGermantown-650x268.jpg]

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - JTiger - 05-23-2017 01:55 PM

(05-23-2017 10:34 AM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  White bread is the worst.

The french baguette at Panera is really good though

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - AlonsoWDC - 05-23-2017 03:36 PM

lol, you right

You know what I meant, though.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - JTiger - 05-24-2017 10:12 AM

(05-23-2017 03:36 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  lol, you right

Haha

I do know what you meant but tried to bring some levity to the situation
04-cheers

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - snowtiger - 05-24-2017 11:13 AM

(05-24-2017 10:12 AM)JTiger Wrote:  
(05-23-2017 03:36 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  lol, you right

Haha

I do know what you meant but tried to bring some levity to the situation
04-cheers

Try sourdough starter. Keep it in a dark, cool place and feed it.
Wait for the bubbles...then levity will be at its peak.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - SayWhat? - 05-26-2017 11:40 AM

(05-21-2017 09:57 PM)karter25 Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 09:30 PM)21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Wrote:  More than half of our population has little access to things most white folks take for granted, which makes life exponentially harder. And in this town, their own representatives are completely sold out to the plantation-mentality, non-progressive older white guy power elite. The younger generation here is trying to make a statement and a difference. Yes, many here are socially unaware.

No access to what white folks have. NONSENSE. Hard work and determination to break the cycle of poverty and illiteracy will go a long way to making a person an asset and not a burden to the taxpayers. 3rd and 4th generation people living in government assistance living, that was intended for SHORT TERM needs, doesn't give a person the desire or drive to better themselves. Teenagers having multiple babies doesn't do much for a person's ability to better themselves. Many open jobs go unfilled because employers can't find workers, yet go to certain parts of town and see able bodied men and women doing NOTHING all day instead of trying to find a job. Take a visit to the Penal Farm, Women's Jail East or 201 Poplar and see the racial makeup of the inmates. I am on the streets of Memphis all day and in various neighborhoods and a majority of people living in poverty do absolutely nothing to better their situation. Steve Cohen and the politicians they continue to elect have done very little to help their constituents. They promise to make their lives better and yet, I believe close to 50% of Memphians live below the poverty level. If you want to better your way of life, it is up to you to make it happen. The color of your skin has nothing to do with desire, work ethic and integrity. I am totally aware of these facts and I see the good and bad of the area everyday. Blaming race for people's inability to get ahead in life is an excuse and totally untrue.

The actual number is just under 30% of Memphians live below the poverty line. In US cities having about 1 million, Memphis is the poorest. But the most concerning numbers are the percentage of children living below the poverty line in Memphis, and that is about 48% of which the largest portion of that 48% is African-American and Hispanic.

RE: Memphis in May Barbecue Festival "Hogging The Bread" - karter25 - 05-26-2017 09:56 PM

(05-26-2017 11:40 AM)SayWhat? Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 09:57 PM)karter25 Wrote:  

The actual number is just under 30% of Memphians live below the poverty line. In US cities having about 1 million, Memphis is the poorest. But the most concerning numbers are the percentage of children living below the poverty line in Memphis, and that is about 48% of which the largest portion of that 48% is African-American and Hispanic.

There are many reasons that people are poor. Race is just an excuse, not a valid reason.

I was a little high on my poverty levels but I did it from memory. I am not gonna look this statistic up but it seems like 60 or 70% of all students in the Shelby County schools qualify for free lunch due to family income. No idea what the racial makeup of the school system, but I imagine it is 70% or more black.

Too many people depend of government aid instead of depending on themselves. I grew up in the roughest part of North Memphis in the early 60's. I was determined that I would never be poor again and I worked my way out of that part of town. Like I said originally. Hard work and determination. Not depending on handouts.