CSNbbs
New Women's B-ball Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: New Women's B-ball Coach (/thread-818077.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - LuckyLion - 05-24-2017 02:19 PM

(05-24-2017 07:17 AM)ODU Hoops Wrote:  If you look at the article in the Pilot today, it sounds as if only two of the four players that asked for a release from their scholarship have committed (one to UNC and one to UNCW). I wonder if the other two might stay now, if the new head coach wants them to?

Isn't Keyana Brown going to VA Union and Manaya Jones to Memphis? Next year is going to be rough, unless Coach McCray can pull a few needles out of the haystack. At this late date, with only 8 on the roster and only 4 of those with significant playing time, if any, at Old Dominion. It is what it is and I think this is going to be a great hire, it just might take a couple of years to see the payoff.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - cmett003 - 05-24-2017 02:25 PM

I would be ok with being bad for a year maybe 2 if we could see results on the horizon. Its better than being mediocre forever

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODUi - 05-24-2017 02:44 PM

(05-24-2017 02:19 PM)LuckyLion Wrote:  
(05-24-2017 07:17 AM)ODU Hoops Wrote:  If you look at the article in the Pilot today, it sounds as if only two of the four players that asked for a release from their scholarship have committed (one to UNC and one to UNCW). I wonder if the other two might stay now, if the new head coach wants them to?

Isn't Keyana Brown going to VA Union and Manaya Jones to Memphis? Next year is going to be rough, unless Coach McCray can pull a few needles out of the haystack. At this late date, with only 8 on the roster and only 4 of those with significant playing time, if any, at Old Dominion. It is what it is and I think this is going to be a great hire, it just might take a couple of years to see the payoff.

Keyana Brown to Virginia State
Manaya Jones to Memphis
Gianna Smith to UNCW
Dazia Powell to UNC

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - DaBigBlue - 05-24-2017 02:50 PM

The best she can do is dig up a transfer or two, for instance Tennessee just lost two players who hadn't landed anywhere. The other option, could be a recruit that was on USC's recruiting board. Maybe the recruit was on their recruiting board as, if we don't get player A, will go after her. Could of been a player they were watching for development, or coming off an injury.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - Monarchist13 - 05-24-2017 02:56 PM

ODU makes it official;
http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211605294

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - BigBlueMonarch - 05-24-2017 02:56 PM

It official! Let the rebuilding begin!

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31100&ATCLID=211605294

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - MonGNARch - 05-24-2017 03:02 PM

(05-24-2017 02:25 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  I would be ok with being bad for a year maybe 2 if we could see results on the horizon. Its better than being mediocre forever

Look what Buzz Williams did at VT. He took over an ACC bottom dweller and while their first year was still bad, the second year they improved and this year they seemed to turn the corner. I know men's ACC is a lot different than women's CUSA, but the right coach with the right attitude given a few years to let their recruits learn and fit into the system can do well.

Coach McCray has an impressive resume and has the advantage that Coach Barefoot didn't when she came to ODU - she doesn't have the pressure of replacing a legend. I was a freshman during Coach Wendy's 2nd to last year at ODU, and I knew how serious ODU was about the women's team. I would love for us to get back to where we once were.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODUguy1999 - 05-24-2017 03:06 PM

Wonderful news!!! Let the rebuilding begin!!!

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - Petey Hodge - 05-25-2017 12:46 AM

(05-24-2017 02:25 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  I would be ok with being bad for a year maybe 2 if we could see results on the horizon. Its better than being mediocre forever

Your words are hurtful....
[Image: 120411-793_jeff_jones.JPG]

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - Monarch Blue - 05-25-2017 08:19 PM

(05-25-2017 12:46 AM)Petey Hodge Wrote:  

Your words are hurtful....
[Image: 120411-793_jeff_jones.JPG]

What a turn off.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - A view from the stands - 05-25-2017 11:54 PM

I like the signing of our new woman's basketball coach. But I'm very surprised. When Wood Selig signed KB after coach Larry left, he was very much against signing an assistant coach. He wanted somebody with head coaching experience. McCray doesn't have that, but has everything else. And it's not everyday that an assistant coach from a team that won the National Title leaves the program....so this is a good opportunity for ODU and for coach McCray to prove herself.

The focus will go back on winning basketball games. Next year's players will find practice very intense.....

With that said, one aspect of McCray that I hope gets better is the home schedule. To say the least, it's been pretty weak. We have a great venue in the Ted. We have supportive fans. For the past couple of years we might have one good team with a bunch of cupcakes at home. (or as Selig would call it, empty calorie wins) I would like to see better teams come to the Ted.

Coach McCray was diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov of 2013. This will make our "pink game" even more special in a way.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10451722/women-college-basketball-south-carolina-gamecocks-rally-assistant-coach-nikki-mccray

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - BigBlueMonarch - 05-26-2017 08:28 AM

I am not familiar with the transition process for coaches. Is Coach McCray already in Norfolk, if not, when does she start?

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - Monarchist13 - 05-26-2017 08:31 AM

(05-26-2017 08:28 AM)BigBlueMonarch Wrote:  I am not familiar with the transition process for coaches. Is Coach McCray already in Norfolk, if not, when does she start?

She is being officially introduced on Tuesday.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - jumpshooter - 05-26-2017 08:32 AM

If it was a choice between the Towson HC and the Jacksonville HC and McCray, Selig definitely made the right choice.

"The focus will go back on winning basketball games. Next year's players will find practice very intense." What's been the focus? Isn't it always on winning games?

Will McCray make her own schedule, or someone else in the AD?

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODUPKT07 - 05-26-2017 11:50 AM

Didn't want to start a new thread for this snippet, so thought here might be a good spot. I had just walked into our break room and the guys had The Herd on. I'm not sure what the lead up was, but the first thing I hear is "growing up, there was only one prominent and dominant women's basketball team, and that was Old Dominion." He then went on to list all the relevant teams there are currently. Just thought it was pretty cool and wanted to share.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODUguy1999 - 05-26-2017 12:41 PM

lost the Camp twins yesterday according to ladyswish twitter. Big blow to a good week after McCrays hire. They probably would of seen immediate playing timewith a phenomenal coach. We will be severely depleted without them now

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODUguy1999 - 05-30-2017 09:56 PM

Transfer strikes again. Ije Ajemba transferring from ODU to UNC Greensboro for former Karen assistant Trina Patterson. Bravo Karen, you did a hell of a job trying to destroy a legendary program. Cant wait for the day that Nikki McCray mops the floor with Karen and shows these players what a real coach looks like. Patiently going to look forward to McCray Penson to get this team moving in a good direction. Hopefully McCray is just cleaning house, but the cupboards are pretty bare right now.

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - Monarch Homselr - 05-30-2017 11:08 PM

(05-30-2017 09:56 PM)ODUguy1999 Wrote:  Transfer strikes again. Ije Ajemba transferring from ODU to UNC Greensboro for former Karen assistant Trina Patterson. Bravo Karen, you did a hell of a job trying to destroy a legendary program. Cant wait for the day that Nikki McCray mops the floor with Karen and shows these players what a real coach looks like. Patiently going to look forward to McCray Penson to get this team moving in a good direction. Hopefully McCray is just cleaning house, but the cupboards are pretty bare right now.

Was she the one who was pregnant last season?

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODUi - 05-31-2017 05:29 AM

Yes

RE: New Women's B-ball Coach - ODU804 - 05-31-2017 07:55 AM

(05-26-2017 12:41 PM)ODUguy1999 Wrote:  lost the Camp twins yesterday according to ladyswish twitter. Big blow to a good week after McCrays hire. They probably would of seen immediate playing timewith a phenomenal coach. We will be severely depleted without them now

The next couple years could be messy.