CSNbbs
Cord-Cutting accelerates - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Cord-Cutting accelerates (/thread-816978.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cord-Cutting accelerates - arkstfan - 05-03-2017 03:47 PM

https://news.fastcompany.com/cord-cutting-spikes-fivefold-in-cable-tvs-worst-quarter-ever-4036578

That's 0.6% of TV homes giving up pay tv packages in January, February, and March of this year.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - TerryD - 05-03-2017 03:53 PM

(05-03-2017 03:47 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  https://news.fastcompany.com/cord-cutting-spikes-fivefold-in-cable-tvs-worst-quarter-ever-4036578

That's 0.6% of TV homes giving up pay tv packages in January, February, and March of this year.

I am one of them. I dropped DirecTV in January.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - Attackcoog - 05-03-2017 04:18 PM

The most intriguing item on that chart wasn't addressed in that article. With a massive spike in cord cutting---why was every single carrier hammered--except one. Why did Comcast actually register a gain of subscribers? If Im one of the cable carriers getting hammered---thats the first question Im addressing when I see that chart.

Cable has been under assault for a while---but they remind me of the US when we were being attacked from terrorist in the 1990's. We didn't really do much about it. It wasn't until 911 that we woke up and began to fight back. Once the cable actually alters their strategies and fights back with a la carte and skinny bundles---we wont really be able to tell where this will stabilize. My guess is there is a hard core floor for cable (mostly older and more affluent people) who refer cable and aren't leaving (maybe 50% of their subscribers). In my opinion, that means the battle will likely be fought for the other half of their current subscribers who are less loyal and very price sensitive.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - Tom in Lazybrook - 05-03-2017 04:44 PM

(05-03-2017 04:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The most intriguing item on that chart wasn't addressed in that article. With a massive spike in cord cutting---why was every single carrier hammered--except one. Why did Comcast actually register a gain of subscribers? If Im one of the cable carriers getting hammered---thats the first question Im addressing when I see that chart.

Cable has been under assault for a while---but they remind me of the US when we were being attacked from terrorist in the 1990's. We didn't really do much about it. It wasn't until 911 that we woke up and began to fight back. Once the cable actually alters their strategies and fights back with a la carte and skinny bundles---we wont really be able to tell where this will stabilize. My guess is there is a hard core floor for cable (mostly older and more affluent people) who refer cable and aren't leaving (maybe 50% of their subscribers). In my opinion, that means the battle will likely be fought for the other half of their current subscribers who are less loyal and very price sensitive.

Because Comcast is 35% cheaper than ATT U-Verse (at least in Houston). My guess is that Comcast is fighting harder than ATT U-Verse but eventually they'll start losing too.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - JRsec - 05-03-2017 04:51 PM

Paychecks in April went down. FICA, SSI, and Federal withholding all went up. For a single earner family that's about $60 less per month. For a two paycheck home that's doubled since what your partner earns or doesn't earn was excluded from the raise.

Now if you lose $120 in take home pay per month where are you going to make it up? Cable is not a necessity.

We think initially that's not much, but for young families with children $1440 dollars a year. Most cable packages fit that range.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - CardinalJim - 05-03-2017 05:11 PM

I didn't dump my cable but I dumped all the premium, HD, DVR and other extras. My bill went from $143.00 to $109.00. I have a broke Firestick with Kodi and Mobdro. I can watch any game, any sport anywhere in the world for free. It's amazing....
CJ

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - Attackcoog - 05-03-2017 05:19 PM

Honestly, if you don't need CBS-Sports---then Sony VUE is the best deal going. You can get a pretty robust package of nearly 90+ networks (including most all of the sports networks other than CBS-Sports Network) for $64.99. You can get a decent plan for just $29.99.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - MplsBison - 05-03-2017 05:51 PM

Depends on how you define cord cutting.

If you define it as "households that dropped pay TV products like Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, TWC Spectrum, Verizon FIOS, AT&T UVerse, DirecTV satellite, DISH Network satellite, etc.", then that's not really cord cutting. These people are still paying for scripted and live video content that they still desire to view. They're just willing to give up some quality/ease of use/convenience to switch platforms and save a cheap buck.

Real cord cutters are people who actually don't care about TV, and are fine with an antenna, dvd player, etc. There aren't actually a ton of these people around, but they do exist.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - Captain Bearcat - 05-03-2017 05:58 PM

(05-03-2017 05:51 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Depends on how you define cord cutting.

If you define it as "households that dropped pay TV products like Comcast Xfinity, Charter Spectrum, TWC Spectrum, Verizon FIOS, AT&T UVerse, DirecTV satellite, DISH Network satellite, etc.", then that's not really cord cutting. These people are still paying for scripted and live video content that they still desire to view. They're just willing to give up some quality/ease of use/convenience to switch platforms and save a cheap buck.

Real cord cutters are people who actually don't care about TV, and are fine with an antenna, dvd player, etc. There aren't actually a ton of these people around, but they do exist.

That was me for about 8 years. People always looked at me weird, like I was from the Stone Age or something when I told them I had to go to a bar to watch a sporting event.

Then I heard about Sling last year.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - johnintx - 05-03-2017 06:33 PM

(05-03-2017 05:19 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Honestly, if you don't need CBS-Sports---then Sony VUE is the best deal going. You can get a pretty robust package of nearly 90+ networks (including most all of the sports networks other than CBS-Sports Network) for $64.99. You can get a decent plan for just $29.99.

This.

We went from paying $140/month for Directv to $40/month for Playstation Vue. We get ESPN/2/U/News, SECN, BTN, FS1, and Fox Sports Southwest. Plus, it will allow you to authenticate for access to WatchESPN and Fox Sports Go. I haven't gone through football season with it yet, but it works fine for us so far. We have some buffering issues when we're using a lot of bandwidth, but that comes with the territory. We're paying $40/month. You get what you pay for. I'm reminded of how few channels I actually watch. :-)

One thing that came into play for us, and I'm not sure how it applies to anyone else: Our local channels are different. We live on the edge of Houston, but our internet provider's IP address is in the DFW market. Therefore, Playstation Vue thinks we live in Dallas, and gives us Dallas local channels instead of Houston local channels. Not a big deal to me, as I'm a Cowboy fan, so I can watch them every week, even when the Texans are playing at home. My wife subscribes to CBS All-Access, and we bring in our local affiliate through that app. I haven't tried to install an outdoor antenna, but that is always an option for local channels.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - jacksfan29 - 05-03-2017 06:59 PM

(05-03-2017 05:51 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Depends on how you define cord cutting.

I know your hung up on this but your actually wrong. Cord cutting is defined, by the industry as those who no longer receive services via either cable or Dish. People who choose ala carte, streaming. What you miss in your view is how the industry actually works. Take ESPN. They are the most expensive cable channel in your package at $7 per month. Include the other ESPN channels and the price goes up to $10 per month. If I am getting my cable in a package from a cable company or Dish I get ESPN, and pay for ESPN whether I want to or not. By dropping your cable or Dish package and choosing the channels or events you want to watch you are killing the cable/Dish model. That is why ESPN are in so much trouble from, cord cutters.

I realize my explanation won't help you. You seem to be oddly hung up on this issue. It is actually kind of weird. If you do the research you will see that your incorrect in your belief of what a cord cutter is defined as.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - rokamortis - 05-03-2017 07:10 PM

(05-03-2017 04:44 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(05-03-2017 04:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  The most intriguing item on that chart wasn't addressed in that article. With a massive spike in cord cutting---why was every single carrier hammered--except one. Why did Comcast actually register a gain of subscribers? If Im one of the cable carriers getting hammered---thats the first question Im addressing when I see that chart.

Because Comcast is 35% cheaper than ATT U-Verse (at least in Houston). My guess is that Comcast is fighting harder than ATT U-Verse but eventually they'll start losing too.

My experience with Comcast is that they are also slashing prices aggressively while having customers lock into 2 year contracts which is probably protecting them a bit at present.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - billybobby777 - 05-03-2017 07:14 PM

(05-03-2017 03:47 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  https://news.fastcompany.com/cord-cutting-spikes-fivefold-in-cable-tvs-worst-quarter-ever-4036578

Wonderful!

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - Kittonhead - 05-03-2017 07:57 PM

I added cord with the price slashing.

I know most won't haggle for cable and instead go for the first promo offered but if you do you can get a lot of value.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - Wedge - 05-03-2017 08:37 PM

I have U-Verse. It's pricey, especially when you take their max number of channels and their highest broadband internet speed. Probably it's the same price if someone has a max DirecTV package plus the same AT&T high-speed broadband. If Comcast or Cox or "Spectrum" (formerly Time Warner) offer similar service at a lower price, even with famously crappy cable customer service, then I'm not surprised if they are holding even or bleeding subscribers at a slower rate.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - JRsec - 05-03-2017 08:41 PM

(05-03-2017 08:37 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

I have U-Verse. It's pricey, especially when you take their max number of channels and their highest broadband internet speed. Probably it's the same price if someone has a max DirecTV package plus the same AT&T high-speed broadband. If Comcast or Cox or "Spectrum" (formerly Time Warner) offer similar service at a lower price, even with famously crappy cable customer service, then I'm not surprised if they are holding even or bleeding subscribers at a slower rate.

I've tried them all. I'll keep U-verse. Other than price I have had fewer issues and complaints than ever before, and the fiber optic is nice.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - MWC Tex - 05-03-2017 09:11 PM

I've spent more time watching OTA channels, Netflix, Pluto TV and Red Bull TV lately and less of the Vue package I currently subscribe too.

Edit: For those of you who may not know, Pluto TV is free has a solid lineup of channels. They are available pretty much on every device (I have Roku).
Also, Red Bull TV is on a lot of devices. I enjoy seeing quite a few events on their including the WRC and Cliff Diving series they sponsor. If they ever got into the football or basketball games, that would be quite awesome.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - arkstfan - 05-03-2017 11:45 PM

What Sling, Vue, the new Hulu and YouTube products offer is traditional cable/satellite with bundled packages. Only difference between them and cable/satellite is you provide the infrastructure to get it into your house.

I have Direct with ATT internet and home phone (I have no clue what the number of the phone is unless I look it up on my iPhone but I absolutely will NEVER go without a home phone. I live right next to the city limits and needed 911 for a medical emergency involving my wife and got routed to the wrong cities 911 dispatch).

I LOVE each and every one of you cord cutters because I get ever improving deals. I'm exempt from the bandwidth limits on both home and cell internet which most months doesn't matter though I've had a couple months topping a terabyte of data at home and usually top the 22gb on my four cell lines.

Got Sunday Ticket for free last year and I suspect a disgruntled call in September will get it again if they don't volunteer it again.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I do a lot of video for my website going up and down and my wife is a heavy Netflix user during the day plus I have a kid at home and one out of the house on my cell plan. We blew the crap out of data.

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - EagleNationRising - 05-03-2017 11:59 PM

(05-03-2017 03:53 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

I am one of them. I dropped DirecTV in January.

I just dropped Direct TV on Sunday

RE: Cord-Cutting accelerates - ColKurtz - 05-04-2017 12:39 AM

My time-warner cable/internet/phone somehow morphed into $180/mo. Just cancelled. I'd gladly pay $90-100/mo for all 3, but it's out of hand. $50/month for internet, phone I pay anyway, and kodi for everything else. When football season comes around I'll just use a friend/family password for streaming the games.