CSNbbs
AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. (/thread-816975.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Rob of NV - 05-03-2017 03:30 PM

Just because you say it is so, does not make it so.

http://gridironnow.com/american-athletic-conference-declares-itself-power-6-conference/

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - UTEPDallas - 05-03-2017 03:44 PM

This is not going to end well.......

The American reminds me of the MWC before 2010. They claimed they were the 7th AQ league and that was with BYU, TCU and Utah which the AAC lacks. Just like the MWC, the AAC will learn that individual schools not entire conferences get picked by the cartel. But hey, at least I give them credit by trying.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - TrojanCampaign - 05-03-2017 03:52 PM

(05-03-2017 03:44 PM)UTEPDallas Wrote:  This is not going to end well.......

The American reminds me of the MWC before 2010. They claimed they were the 7th AQ league and that was with BYU, TCU and Utah which the AAC lacks. Just like the MWC, the AAC will learn that individual schools not entire conferences get picked by the cartel. But hey, at least I give them credit by trying.

I think that was a vastly different situation. The MWC was a great league that got good at the wrong time. Now all the power conferences are full with the exception of the Big 12.

The AAC teams are not going anywhere no matter how much they may want to.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Lord Stanley - 05-03-2017 03:57 PM

Reminds me of Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy in The Office.

[Image: bankruptcy.jpg?w=315&h=222]

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Attackcoog - 05-03-2017 04:01 PM

(05-03-2017 03:52 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

I think that was a vastly different situation. The MWC was a great league that got good at the wrong time. Now all the power conferences are full with the exception of the Big 12.

The MW also had a pretty week TV package back then that was primarily regional. I think that hurt their development of a more national following during that time frame.

As for the AAC, they have developed a 24 page plan to map the way to make "Power 6" a reality outside of their headquarters. I doubt it will get them included in the cartel---but working toward the goals included in each "pillar" of the plan certainly will result in improved "on the field" performance (via improved recruiting) and improved revenue generation. So---it certainly cant hurt to work toward those goals. Im guessing this is far more about marketing and the next TV contract than it is about becoming a "power conference" (however one chooses to define that). Step one of any marketing campaign is to differentiate your "widget" from all the other "widgets". Im guessing that's the real goal here.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - GoldenWarrior11 - 05-03-2017 04:06 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - 33laszlo99 - 05-03-2017 04:08 PM

(05-03-2017 03:30 PM)Rob of NV Wrote:  Just because you say it is so, does not make it so.

http://gridironnow.com/american-athletic-conference-declares-itself-power-6-conference/

...and I am The King of Patagonia!

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - RutgersGuy - 05-03-2017 04:13 PM

Why in the world is their headquarters still in Providence RI? hahahaha

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - DavidSt - 05-03-2017 04:13 PM

Boise State stole the National spotlight away from the MWC by themselves. That is the only team left before 2010 that is very good that they are still not in a P5 conference. They were better than TCU and Utah during that time period.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - TardisCaptain - 05-03-2017 04:15 PM

**Yawn**

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - dbackjon - 05-03-2017 04:17 PM

Does this mean they would turn down the Access Spot for the NY6 Bowls if they have the top "G5" team?

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - GoldenWarrior11 - 05-03-2017 04:24 PM

Power conferences are defined by power programs. The B1G has Michigan/Ohio State, the SEC has Alabama/Florida, the ACC has Florida State/Clemson, the Big 12 has Texas/ Oklahoma, the PAC-12 has USC/Stanford. The AAC, up to date, does not have a power program capable of competing for national titles. UCF had one great year. Houston had one great year. Both seasons did not elevate either program to national "power" status. If any AAC program gets to that level, it is likely that it will be gobbled up up an actual power conference, which therein lies the unwinnable scenario the American (as a conference, not for its members) face: if it does well, the successful teams get poached; if it isn't successful, then it remains a G5.

AAC schools need to (continue) using the league as a launching pad to bigger and brighter things, because that's what the Power 5 view it is. Is it fair? Of course not - but the Power 5 dictate everything with TV partners, and they won't just allow the AAC in because they want to be included.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - Attackcoog - 05-03-2017 04:29 PM

(05-03-2017 04:17 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  Does this mean they would turn down the Access Spot for the NY6 Bowls if they have the top "G5" team?

lol...no, it means they get to make rules that block the other teams from ever getting it. COGS

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - DavidSt - 05-03-2017 04:30 PM

Houston last year was in the running until they stumbled.

Boise State is the sole power team out of the MWC that could compete for a national title if they are given the chance. Air Force is on their way to becoming a strong team, with San Diego State starting to rise on the west.

AAC does not really have a front runner with Houston, Navy and Memphis on the west, and Temple on the east. Navy lost to Air Force last year. So, the MWC is > than AAC last year.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - PirateMarv - 05-03-2017 04:42 PM

Actually the MWC was more like CUSA 1.0; in fact one of the MWC's strongest team's (TCU) was from CUSA 1.0.

CUSA 1.0 got raided and the MWC got raided.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - nzmorange - 05-03-2017 05:00 PM

Power Conference = conference's w/ high media payouts

The AAC is correct in that there are 6 of them. But the AAC isn't one. The 6 are:
1. SEC
2. Big Ten
3. ACC
4. PAC 12
5. Big XII
6. Big East

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - UTEPDallas - 05-03-2017 05:04 PM

(05-03-2017 03:52 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

I'm not disagreeing with you but their fans don't see it that way just like MWC fans were in denial back then. If by any chance there's expansion one or two schools will get the call not the entire league. Just like the MWC. Utah moved up, Wyoming is still in the MWC.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - UTEPDallas - 05-03-2017 05:06 PM

(05-03-2017 04:24 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Power conferences are defined by power programs. The B1G has Michigan/Ohio State, the SEC has Alabama/Florida, the ACC has Florida State/Clemson, the Big 12 has Texas/ Oklahoma, the PAC-12 has USC/Stanford. The AAC, up to date, does not have a power program capable of competing for national titles. UCF had one great year. Houston had one great year. Both seasons did not elevate either program to national "power" status. If any AAC program gets to that level, it is likely that it will be gobbled up up an actual power conference, which therein lies the unwinnable scenario the American (as a conference, not for its members) face: if it does well, the successful teams get poached; if it isn't successful, then it remains a G5.

AAC schools need to (continue) using the league as a launching pad to bigger and brighter things, because that's what the Power 5 view it is. Is it fair? Of course not - but the Power 5 dictate everything with TV partners, and they won't just allow the AAC in because they want to be included.

Those are exactly my thoughts and it's the same thing I used to say on the MWC board.

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 05-03-2017 05:10 PM

(05-03-2017 04:13 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Boise State stole the National spotlight away from the MWC by themselves. That is the only team left before 2010 that is very good that they are still not in a P5 conference. They were better than TCU and Utah during that time period.

You forgot about NDSU!02-13-banana01-donnankungfu04-drinky

RE: AAC declares it is a "Power 6" conference. - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 05-03-2017 05:14 PM

(05-03-2017 04:30 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Houston last year was in the running until they stumbled.

Boise State is the sole power team out of the MWC that could compete for a national title if they are given the chance. Air Force is on their way to becoming a strong team, with San Diego State starting to rise on the west.

AAC does not really have a front runner with Houston, Navy and Memphis on the west, and Temple on the east. Navy lost to Air Force last year. So, the MWC is > than AAC last year.

Again you forgot to mention NDSU04-chairshot