CSNbbs
Is Rock in the hot seat? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Is Rock in the hot seat? (/thread-816903.html)

Pages: 1 2

Is Rock in the hot seat? - MtownTigers916 - 05-02-2017 02:35 PM

I know conference is tough, but we've lost 12 of the last 15 games 03-puke

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - TG4 - 05-02-2017 03:05 PM

Rock is thanking Tubby every morning when he wakes up.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - Unbreakable04 - 05-02-2017 03:31 PM

Looks like we're between a rock and a hard place.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - DDrum1961 - 05-02-2017 03:37 PM

Always surprised why the Tigers haven't been better in Baseball ... Facilities have been improved; but the strongest argument would be the ability to package Athletic Scholarships with HOPE scholarships to attract players (IMO)... The majority of Baseball players do not get full ride scholarships, due to the total team allocations ...

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - snowtiger - 05-02-2017 03:43 PM

(05-02-2017 03:37 PM)DDrum1961 Wrote:  Always surprised why the Tigers haven't been better in Baseball ... Facilities have been improved; but the strongest argument would be the ability to package Athletic Scholarships with HOPE scholarships to attract players (IMO)... The majority of Baseball players do not get full ride scholarships, due to the total team allocations ...

Not giving full scholleys to all Baseball players ...yea. I was surprised to find out UCLA doesn't give them all of them full scholleys either.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - DallasTiger - 05-02-2017 03:50 PM

I remember going to a TCU - Memphis basketball game in Ft. Worth about 10 or so years ago. I think that was about the time that TCU hired their new baseball coach. Anyway either just before the game or at half time, the entire baseball team was brought to center court and introduced to the fans......then, each player went into the stands and shook hands with all the TCU fans at the game and introduced themselves. I thought that was a great way to create a following for the baseball team. At the TCU basketball game...lots of TCU fans created one on one relationships with those players. Made a lot of sense.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - karter25 - 05-02-2017 07:00 PM

(05-02-2017 03:43 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 03:37 PM)DDrum1961 Wrote:  Always surprised why the Tigers haven't been better in Baseball ... Facilities have been improved; but the strongest argument would be the ability to package Athletic Scholarships with HOPE scholarships to attract players (IMO)... The majority of Baseball players do not get full ride scholarships, due to the total team allocations ...

Not giving full scholleys to all Baseball players ...yea. I was surprised to find out UCLA doesn't give them all of them full scholleys either.

Very few schools give full ride in baseball. They are usually split up between the various players with each getting a portion of a scholarship.

Back to the original question. Rock needs to go. SOON!!!!

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - DallasTiger - 05-02-2017 08:11 PM

Interesting article on baseball and partial scholarships and schools with endowments. This article will shed a lot of light on college baseball scholarships and finances. http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article3831986.html

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - HobosHeroesStCornerClowns - 05-02-2017 09:00 PM

DO YOU SMELL-L-L-L-L-L WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING???????

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - TOGC - 05-02-2017 09:00 PM

(05-02-2017 02:35 PM)MtownTigers916 Wrote:  I know conference is tough, but we've lost 12 of the last 15 games 03-puke

I don't think enough people care about baseball for there to be a hot seat.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - BinghamptonNed - 05-02-2017 09:28 PM

(05-02-2017 07:00 PM)karter25 Wrote:  

Very few schools give full ride in baseball. They are usually split up between the various players with each getting a portion of a scholarship.

there is a scholarship limit on baseball, no school can offer more than 11 full scholarships, so they offer partials, all schools offer partial scholarships

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - karter25 - 05-02-2017 09:38 PM

(05-02-2017 09:28 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 07:00 PM)karter25 Wrote:  

there is a scholarship limit on baseball, no school can offer more than 11 full scholarships, so they offer partials, all schools offer partial scholarships

Believe that is what I said. All schools offer partials, but not all players receive them. In some instances, a player can receive a full scholarship.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - UMTiger02 - 05-02-2017 11:22 PM

(05-02-2017 03:50 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  I remember going to a TCU - Memphis basketball game in Ft. Worth about 10 or so years ago. I think that was about the time that TCU hired their new baseball coach. Anyway either just before the game or at half time, the entire baseball team was brought to center court and introduced to the fans......then, each player went into the stands and shook hands with all the TCU fans at the game and introduced themselves. I thought that was a great way to create a following for the baseball team. At the TCU basketball game...lots of TCU fans created one on one relationships with those players. Made a lot of sense.

The Tigers had the Baseball Team on Tiger Lane meeting and signing autographs for the fans. I don't think there's just a ton of intrest. When they play at Autozone Park it's mostly visiting fans

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - HometownTiger - 05-02-2017 11:27 PM

I had a friend who played for the Tigers. Was All-State...smart kid. He got a 29 on his ACT and got a lot of scholarship money from HOPE and a couple others. Baseball essentially had to pay for his books. That's what he got for his 'full ride'. Granted all totaled, he didn't have to pay anything...but baseball had very little to do with that.

Funny thing...Rock used the rest of the money which would've been his scholarship to land the kid that eventually took my friends spot. Cold world haha

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - MemphisFan95 - 05-03-2017 01:37 AM

Unless an something changes he'd quietly with out press this is Rocks contract year

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - dfwtxtiger - 05-03-2017 07:18 AM

(05-02-2017 03:50 PM)DallasTiger Wrote:  I remember going to a TCU - Memphis basketball game in Ft. Worth about 10 or so years ago. I think that was about the time that TCU hired their new baseball coach. Anyway either just before the game or at half time, the entire baseball team was brought to center court and introduced to the fans......then, each player went into the stands and shook hands with all the TCU fans at the game and introduced themselves. I thought that was a great way to create a following for the baseball team. At the TCU basketball game...lots of TCU fans created one on one relationships with those players. Made a lot of sense.

Umm, we can't even fill the bottom bowl of the Forum with basketball fans.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - bluebacker - 05-03-2017 09:28 AM

It's due to Title IX requirements that force universities to balance the 85 football scholarships with 85 for women's sports.

Men get football and basketball scholarships and, unless funded another way, very little else. Many more women's sports get full rides because they don't have the equivalent of football eating up 85 scholarships.

I've always though football should be taken out of the equation but it never will be.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - HometownTiger - 05-03-2017 11:42 AM

(05-03-2017 09:28 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  

It's due to Title IX requirements that force universities to balance the 85 football scholarships with 85 for women's sports.

Men get football and basketball scholarships and, unless funded another way, very little else. Many more women's sports get full rides because they don't have the equivalent of football eating up 85 scholarships.

I've always though football should be taken out of the equation but it never will be.

Title IX - well intentioned, but flawed.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - BinghamptonNed - 05-03-2017 11:56 AM

(05-03-2017 01:37 AM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  Unless an something changes he'd quietly with out press this is Rocks contract year

If this is up to date info then he is not in the hot seat he is just playing out the string.

He seems like a good enough guy, if they can get another coach for around the same money- it would be a natural time to change horses. IMO not many care about baseball here, they have nothing to lose by taking a flyer on a non-traditional hire. (aka Anderson hiring) Why not look at someone else.

But at the end of the day the Athletic department really is strapped for $$$ and baseball is not a potential money maker..... they don't even play on campus (I know they play on the south campus... but that is not much closer than the fair grounds) I NEVER went to that location when I was a student, a few years after graduation I visited the complex to attend a safe driving course to get out of a ticket.

RE: Is Rock in the hot seat? - fsquid - 05-03-2017 02:35 PM

When they hired rock, they signed him for 80k.