CSNbbs
So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? (/thread-816498.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - PeteTheChop - 04-26-2017 07:11 PM

I don't mean ESPN3 games branded online as the "ACC Network" ...

I'm talking about an actual channel with the clout and reach of ESPN's SEC Network.

Wouldn't ESPN be better off shifting a few key ACC programs (FSU, Clemson, cough, cough) that are both geographical and cultural fits for the Southeastern Conference into the SEC?

RE: So is the ACC Network become reality after all? - billybobby777 - 04-26-2017 07:13 PM

(04-26-2017 07:11 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  I don't mean ESPN3 games branded online as the "ACC Network" ...

I'm talking about an actual channel with the clout and reach of ESPN's SEC Network.

Wouldn't ESPN be better off shifting a few key ACC programs (FSU, Clemson, cough, cough) that are both geographical and cultural fits for the Southeastern Conference into the SEC?

I'm sure espn would move FSU and Clemson into the SEC if they could. It seems as if FSU and Clemson are not interested...yet.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Pervis_Griffith - 04-26-2017 07:49 PM

(04-26-2017 07:13 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 07:11 PM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  I don't mean ESPN3 games branded online as the "ACC Network" ...

I'm sure espn would move FSU and Clemson into the SEC if they could. It seems as if FSU and Clemson are not interested...yet.

And Florida and South Carolina aren't interested either ....

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Attackcoog - 04-26-2017 07:55 PM

Yes. Interestingly, the SEC Network is actually doing well in the age of cord cutting. So, maybe the ACC Network might not be the albatross people seem to assume it will be.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - cuseroc - 04-26-2017 08:23 PM

ESPN to Launch ACC NetworkIn 2019

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - msm96wolf - 04-26-2017 08:28 PM

(04-26-2017 07:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Yes. Interestingly, the SEC Network is actually doing well in the age of cord cutting. So, maybe the ACC Network might not be the albatross people seem to assume it will be.

Remember, much of the production will be done by the ACC.

Each school is spending a bunch of money for media centers. ESPN gets to provide the content.
The big change comes when the cable channel finally launches, and preparing for that requires some serious financial investments by the schools. Cleary said a goal is for the schools to each eventually have their own control rooms, so those big production trucks mostly wouldn't be needed for TV broadcasts. The transformation has already begun at several schools:

— North Carolina State is spending $6 million in part to turn a space inside its football headquarters — including ex-coach Chuck Amato's old racquetball court — into a broadcast and production center, complete with a studio and control rooms for producing gameday video and programming for the channel.

— As part of its upgrades to Joel Coliseum, Wake Forest is building multiple control rooms so it won't need those production trucks.

— Florida State is adding two control rooms, to produce content for both the network and the new video scoreboard, and is looking to hire a full-time engineer.

— Built into Duke's new five-story, 90,000-square-foot tower of luxury suites at the football stadium is room for production facilities for both the school's online Blue Devil Network and the ACC's. More than $10 million was spent on projects related to video production, including infrastructure, wiring, equipment and a video scoreboard that debuted last year, Duke deputy athletic director Mike Cragg said.

"It's better to do it all up front ... rather than coming back and retrofitting," Cragg said.

— And projects at Clemson — which spent $63.5 million to renovate Littlejohn Coliseum and $55 million on a new operations building for the football program — were designed with a possible network in mind, with Radakovich saying tweaks to accommodate TV production were inserted into the plans.

"We might only have a quarter mile to go" to get up to speed for the network, Radakovich said, "while some other ACC schools might have to go the full mile."

https://apnews.com/72497e21ea694ea089868fc0dda4916b

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Stugray2 - 04-26-2017 08:47 PM

I think the ACC Network will reside in the same Charlotte complex with the SEC Network. Lots of things in common, reduces overhead, production facilities already in place.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Wolfman - 04-26-2017 09:08 PM

The OP assumes the ACCN will be a loser. ESPN learned a lot from the SECN, LHN and even the P12N. Heaven knows the ACC and ESPN took enough time to work out the details.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - JRsec - 04-26-2017 09:12 PM

(04-26-2017 07:49 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Pervis Florida sponsored FSU's application in 1991 and wanted to again in 2010. South Carolina has expressed a desire for Clemson's membership and Spurrier at the time was receptive. Drop talking about things which you know nothing about.

And Billybobby you have it backwards. ESPN refuses to pay for their moves to the SEC. F.S.U. chose the ACC in '91, but they were interested in 2010, but the SEC was told no by the one who writes the checks. There was never a blackball. There was a clause in the SEC's contract put there by ESPN that allowed us to renegotiate our contract if two new "markets" were added. The "Gentlemen's Agreement" was not a stance against Florida State and Clemson, but an agreement that Florida and South Carolina refrain from nominating their in state rivals until we added two new markets. Slive at the time stated there would be no restrictions applied to future nominations (other than they had to add to the bottom line).

ESPN has plans for both of its conferences. Those plans include adding more product that ESPN wants. There will be no raiding of one conference by the other ever because ESPN wants a harmonious relationship with both and won't pay for it.

What's so hard to understand about that. Interestingly the ACC will probably unveil new additions when their conference network opens in 2019. I think one will be a whopper. ESPN just opened the Mexican market with the SECN & ESPNU in over 20 cities in Mexico. I think that endeavor will generate new product as well.

I think this thread is a troll thread intended to impune the credibility of the ACC's new network. It's in the contract and unless the ACC disbands before 2019 (and they are not) it will happen. But there are even bigger things on the horizon pertaining to that.

So yes, it will happen, and if it happens in conjunction with other events it will be successful from its inception. And with the new product that is likely in the offing it would be successful even if it wasn't in conjunction with other events.

INTENTIONAL TROLL THREADS ARE ABOUT TO BECOME EXTINCT AS WELL. WHEN STARTED THEY WILL BE CLOSED AND THE OP'S WARNED ONCE AND THEN BANNED!

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - bluesox - 04-26-2017 09:23 PM

So Texas to the acc in 2019. I think Texas as a stand alone add works best for the acc. I suppose it's possible the acc could bring in tcu but any other adds from the big 12 to the acc don't feel right.

Acc adds Texas, tcu, wvu
Sec adds ou, ok state
Big 10 adds Kansas,uconn
PAC 12 adds Texas tech, Houston
AAC adds Iowa st, ksu, Baylor, rice

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - billybobby777 - 04-26-2017 09:46 PM

(04-26-2017 09:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Pervis Florida sponsored FSU's application in 1991 and wanted to again in 2010. South Carolina has expressed a desire for Clemson's membership and Spurrier at the time was receptive. Drop talking about things which you know nothing about.

And Billybobby you have it backwards. ESPN refuses to pay for their moves to the SEC. F.S.U. chose the ACC in '91, but they were interested in 2010, but the SEC was told no by the one who writes the checks. There was never a blackball. There was a clause in the SEC's contract put there by ESPN that allowed us to renegotiate our contract if two new "markets" were added. The "Gentlemen's Agreement" was not a stance against Florida State and Clemson, but an agreement that Florida and South Carolina refrain from nominating their in state rivals until we added two new markets. Slive at the time stated there would be no restrictions applied to future nominations (other than they had to add to the bottom line).

ESPN has plans for both of its conferences. Those plans include adding more product that ESPN wants. There will be no raiding of one conference by the other ever because ESPN wants a harmonious relationship with both and won't pay for it.

What's so hard to understand about that. Interestingly the ACC will probably unveil new additions when their conference network opens in 2019. I think one will be a whopper. ESPN just opened the Mexican market with the SECN & ESPNU in over 20 cities in Mexico. I think that endeavor will generate new product as well.

I think this thread is a troll thread intended to impune the credibility of the ACC's new network. It's in the contract and unless the ACC disbands before 2019 (and they are not) it will happen. But there are even bigger things on the horizon pertaining to that.

So yes, it will happen, and if it happens in conjunction with other events it will be successful from its inception. And with the new product that is likely in the offing it would be successful even if it wasn't in conjunction with other events.

INTENTIONAL TROLL THREADS ARE ABOUT TO BECOME EXTINCT AS WELL. WHEN STARTED THEY WILL BE CLOSED AND THE OP'S WARNED ONCE AND THEN BANNED!

"ESPN has plans for both OF ITS Conferences"---That says it all.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - billybobby777 - 04-26-2017 09:55 PM

"ESPN just opened the Mexican market with the SECN & ESPNU in over 20 cities in Mexico. I think that endeavor will generate new product as well."
^
Have you ever been to Mexico, Sir? I have and continue to do so as my wife's family is from a "market" near Mexico City. Before I lay in to you on that statement, I'll wait for your response. I'm 99.9% positive you have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll wait and give you the benefit of the doubt.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - JRsec - 04-26-2017 10:02 PM

(04-26-2017 09:55 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

"ESPN just opened the Mexican market with the SECN & ESPNU in over 20 cities in Mexico. I think that endeavor will generate new product as well."
^
Have you ever been to Mexico, Sir? I have and continue to do so as my wife's family is from a "market" near Mexico City. Before I lay in to you on that statement, I'll wait for your response. I'm 99.9% positive you have no idea what you are talking about, but I'll wait and give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's on TotalPlay and yes they are already watching. They too pay by subscriber. Now what do you want to say? BTW, thanks to the Cowboys and the LHN and other programming offered in Spanish the market is already being developed. I spoke with a Texan the other night who was in Mexico City and said the bar he went into was watching SEC baseball.

As far as having been in Mexico I was years ago so I'm sure the comparison would be dated. I have been to 47 of the 48 contiguous, Europe, the Middle East, and lived in and visited combined 3 provinces in Canada. What else would you like to know?

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - billybobby777 - 04-26-2017 10:20 PM

(04-26-2017 10:02 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 07:13 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I'm sure espn would move FSU and Clemson into the SEC if they could. It seems as if FSU and Clemson are not interested...yet.

^

It's on TotalPlay and yes they are already watching. They too pay by subscriber. Now what do you want to say? BTW, thanks to the Cowboys and the LHN and other programming offered in Spanish the market is already being developed. I spoke with a Texan the other night who was in Mexico City and said the bar he went into was watching SEC baseball.

Mexico: Futbol, Boxing, Baseball. A country mile after (in Mexico City) NFL and NBA. Rose Bowl, I know a few guys down there who know what that is and watched it once with some interest. But an SEC football game? Oh si...Lo siento. Bueno suerto con eso

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - JRsec - 04-26-2017 10:41 PM

(04-26-2017 10:20 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 07:49 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  And Florida and South Carolina aren't interested either ....

^

Mexico: Futbol, Boxing, Baseball. A country mile after (in Mexico City) NFL and NBA. Rose Bowl, I know a few guys down there who know what that is and watched it once with some interest. But an SEC football game? Oh si...Lo siento. Bueno suerto con eso

What difference does it make if we get paid? The deal was cut, we are there and the product won't just be the usual fare, but edited for the market. It's extra revenue and I'm sure it will be tailored for a segment of the population but considering the segment and what is offered that could still be a significant number.

Ever had a logic course? Market analysis isn't based on specific examples conflated into a generality. It takes in a broad application of data and draws conclusions based upon that. And most applications today are set up to glean that data without surveys. I'm sure the target audience for TotalPlay was studied to see if the purchase was worth it. It's still a business and nobody in business pays for something that doesn't pay off if they can help it.

The PAC is exploring China for the possibility of marketing part of its product there. It's the only reason they are even talking about Hawaii as a possible future addition.

It's a global market. I watch the Japanese news. I love their presentation. The give you just the fact with no spin and if the news item has sides they will give you one spokesperson per position who will speak to the merits of their position and which do not attack the other side. It's quite refreshing and informative. Deutsche Welt is good as well whether in English or Auf Deutsch! So just because we live in a state half way around the globe it doesn't limit interest. Heck in the 80's I'd stay up to watch Australian Rules Football. It was fun and watching the funny officials give you the two handed gun sign for a goal was a hoot.

I have no doubt that boxing is popular in Mexico. It is in Southeast Asia too. As long as the language barrier can be overcome interest can take hold. Little League overseas has done wonders for baseball abroad. Heck the Japanese had picked it up prior to WWII when they were still somewhat isolationists.

So we'll see how it does. I don't think we would be there without a market, and I don't think they would have us without our tailoring the production to that market.

And by the way at the close of 2015-6 fiscal year the SECN was a 4.5 billion dollar enterprise. That's almost three times the value of the BTN. I think they may know something about what they are doing because obviously they are doing something right. So maybe we won't need good luck with that after all.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - billybobby777 - 04-27-2017 01:42 PM

(04-26-2017 10:41 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 10:20 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 09:12 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Pervis Florida sponsored FSU's application in 1991 and wanted to again in 2010. South Carolina has expressed a desire for Clemson's membership and Spurrier at the time was receptive. Drop talking about things which you know nothing about.

^

What difference does it make if we get paid? The deal was cut, we are there and the product won't just be the usual fare, but edited for the market. It's extra revenue and I'm sure it will be tailored for a segment of the population but considering the segment and what is offered that could still be a significant number.

Ever had a logic course? Market analysis isn't based on specific examples conflated into a generality. It takes in a broad application of data and draws conclusions based upon that. And most applications today are set up to glean that data without surveys. I'm sure the target audience for TotalPlay was studied to see if the purchase was worth it. It's still a business and nobody in business pays for something that doesn't pay off if they can help it.

The PAC is exploring China for the possibility of marketing part of its product there. It's the only reason they are even talking about Hawaii as a possible future addition.

It's a global market. I watch the Japanese news. I love their presentation. The give you just the fact with no spin and if the news item has sides they will give you one spokesperson per position who will speak to the merits of their position and which do not attack the other side. It's quite refreshing and informative. Deutsche Welt is good as well whether in English or Auf Deutsch! So just because we live in a state half way around the globe it doesn't limit interest. Heck in the 80's I'd stay up to watch Australian Rules Football. It was fun and watching the funny officials give you the two handed gun sign for a goal was a hoot.

I have no doubt that boxing is popular in Mexico. It is in Southeast Asia too. As long as the language barrier can be overcome interest can take hold. Little League overseas has done wonders for baseball abroad. Heck the Japanese had picked it up prior to WWII when they were still somewhat isolationists.

So we'll see how it does. I don't think we would be there without a market, and I don't think they would have us without our tailoring the production to that market.

And by the way at the close of 2015-6 fiscal year the SECN was a 4.5 billion dollar enterprise. That's almost three times the value of the BTN. I think they may know something about what they are doing because obviously they are doing something right. So maybe we won't need good luck with that after all.

JRSEC, I wish my friends from and in Mexico would get into college football! I don't think an SEC-Network will work there, but if college football ever caught on I'd love it. A tidbit for you:
In 1960, The University of NEW Mexico hosted The University of Mexico. Final score was 77-6 in New Mexico's favor. Few people know that.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Carolina_Low_Country - 04-27-2017 02:10 PM

ACC gives Texas a Notre Dame type deal.
ACC + Texas & Notre Dame (Texas gets to play 6 non-conference games a year against Oklahoma, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, etc.) They will also allow ND & Texas to count their game as one of the 6 ACC games.
ACC also adds Cincinnati and UConn.

Big Ten adds Kansas and Missouri

SEC adds Oklahoma, West Virginia , and yes East Carolina (they have to get into the North Carolina market and the bite the bullet and it pays off big time!)

PAC-12 adds Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma State, and TCU.

Baylor, SMU, Rice, Tulsa, Kansas State, Iowa State, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, USF, BYU, Temple, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Boise State form the Big XVI.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Pervis_Griffith - 04-27-2017 03:37 PM

Well ... any move by FSU or Clemson before 2036 will be expensive. Rights locked up tight until then.

I just don't see that move ever happening.

RE: So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - JRsec - 04-27-2017 05:07 PM

(04-27-2017 03:37 PM)Pervis_Griffith Wrote:  

Well ... any move by FSU or Clemson before 2036 will be expensive. Rights locked up tight until then.

I just don't see that move ever happening.

Pervis if you hadn't cropped the response I said it would never happen because ESPN won't pay for it and wants the two conferences to exist in as much harmony as possible.

So does the ACC Network become reality after all? - Lenvillecards - 04-27-2017 05:44 PM

(04-26-2017 08:28 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(04-26-2017 07:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Remember, much of the production will be done by the ACC.

Each school is spending a bunch of money for media centers. ESPN gets to provide the content.
The big change comes when the cable channel finally launches, and preparing for that requires some serious financial investments by the schools. Cleary said a goal is for the schools to each eventually have their own control rooms, so those big production trucks mostly wouldn't be needed for TV broadcasts. The transformation has already begun at several schools:

— North Carolina State is spending $6 million in part to turn a space inside its football headquarters — including ex-coach Chuck Amato's old racquetball court — into a broadcast and production center, complete with a studio and control rooms for producing gameday video and programming for the channel.

— As part of its upgrades to Joel Coliseum, Wake Forest is building multiple control rooms so it won't need those production trucks.

— Florida State is adding two control rooms, to produce content for both the network and the new video scoreboard, and is looking to hire a full-time engineer.

— Built into Duke's new five-story, 90,000-square-foot tower of luxury suites at the football stadium is room for production facilities for both the school's online Blue Devil Network and the ACC's. More than $10 million was spent on projects related to video production, including infrastructure, wiring, equipment and a video scoreboard that debuted last year, Duke deputy athletic director Mike Cragg said.

"It's better to do it all up front ... rather than coming back and retrofitting," Cragg said.

— And projects at Clemson — which spent $63.5 million to renovate Littlejohn Coliseum and $55 million on a new operations building for the football program — were designed with a possible network in mind, with Radakovich saying tweaks to accommodate TV production were inserted into the plans.

"We might only have a quarter mile to go" to get up to speed for the network, Radakovich said, "while some other ACC schools might have to go the full mile."

https://apnews.com/72497e21ea694ea089868fc0dda4916b

Louisville approved their $8 million studio this morning along with a $9.5 million expansion of their baseball stadium. The studio will be 6,000-8,000 square feet and house three video control rooms, studio space and editing rooms, and it will be used for content created not only for the ACC Network but for other video production support for the athletics department.
One control room will be for linear telecasts on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and the upcoming ACC Network. Another will also be for the ACC Network as well as the ACC Network Plus
Athletics director Tom Jurich said a location for the studio has not been finalized but the hope is to keep it near the greater athletics campus on Floyd Street. The studio will need to be fiber-connected to all U of L venues as well as to ESPN.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2017/04/27/u-l-athletics-plans-8-m-production-studio/307022001/