CSNbbs
Army in an Eastern Conference - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Independents (FBS) (/forum-981.html)
+---- Forum: Army (/forum-983.html)
+---- Thread: Army in an Eastern Conference (/thread-815947.html)

Army in an Eastern Conference - army56mike - 04-20-2017 05:10 AM

Would Army show interest in joining an eastern conference made up of eastern C-USA/SunBelt/Independent teams?

RE: Army in an Eastern Conference - mikeinsec127 - 05-05-2017 09:26 PM

Army's seven year affiliation with CUSA was an unmitigated failure. Of course CUSA was a much tougher conference then. I would bet that the Sunbelt asked Army if it wanted in prior to taking all the FCS call-ups. Frankly the MAC is as good of a fit for Army as either CUSA or the SB and travel costs would be less than playing almost all Southern schools.

RE: Army in an Eastern Conference - Steve1981 - 05-09-2017 08:58 AM

(05-05-2017 09:26 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Army's seven year affiliation with CUSA was an unmitigated failure. Of course CUSA was a much tougher conference then. I would bet that the Sunbelt asked Army if it wanted in prior to taking all the FCS call-ups. Frankly the MAC is as good of a fit for Army as either CUSA or the SB and travel costs would be less than playing almost all Southern schools.

Some would argue that the AAC is a better fit as Football only. Covers more of the country and more money.

RE: Army in an Eastern Conference - spenser - 06-02-2017 04:55 PM

(05-09-2017 08:58 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(05-05-2017 09:26 PM)mikeinsec127 Wrote:  Army's seven year affiliation with CUSA was an unmitigated failure. Of course CUSA was a much tougher conference then. I would bet that the Sunbelt asked Army if it wanted in prior to taking all the FCS call-ups. Frankly the MAC is as good of a fit for Army as either CUSA or the SB and travel costs would be less than playing almost all Southern schools.

Some would argue that the AAC is a better fit as Football only. Covers more of the country and more money.

Army FB only in AAC would be nice, would also open up an Olympic spot for Dayton or some other school to keep sports even.

Also would probably be enough for Air Force to finally come to AAC for All-sports. They have considered it a few times.

RE: Army in an Eastern Conference - brovol - 08-18-2017 01:08 PM

The AAC would be tough sledding for ARMY. The MAC is a much better fit for ARMY. ARMY would compete favorably in all sports, and the MAC would cater to West Point. I am a bit biased, being a WMU MAC alum with a Cadet son at West Point, but I genuinely believe the MAC would be the best conference for ARMY.

Army in an Eastern Conference - army56mike - 08-21-2017 07:02 AM

I wish Army were competitive enough for the AAC, but I have my doubts. They'd probably be able to win a few C-USA games this time around.

RE: Army in an Eastern Conference - YNot - 08-22-2017 05:10 PM

May be after the AAC brings in Rice (after losing Houston).

Army plays Tulane, Temple, and Rice fairly frequently. Add Navy and Air Force as conference games and you have half of the conference schedule....

RE: Army in an Eastern Conference - BeatNavy - 09-26-2017 03:17 PM

(08-18-2017 01:08 PM)brovol Wrote:  ARMY would compete favorably in all sports

No, we wouldn't. Our women's teams in particular would struggle. It matters not, we're quite happy in the Patriot League for "other" sports.

Either AAC or MAC would probably be best football fit. AAC better for $, but bigger factor is getting to Texas regularly. TX is the reason that Navy is in the West division of AAC.