CSNbbs
Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent (/thread-815684.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - WesternBlazer - 04-17-2017 12:12 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/uab_william_lee.html

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - 4thDownBlazer - 04-17-2017 01:04 PM

considering there's only 2 rounds in NBA Draft, and only first round is Guaranteed money, he will be back.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - Memphis Blazer - 04-17-2017 01:07 PM

Good move. Lots of prospects do this. Gives him a chance to see what he needs to work on. Didn't Vaden do this?

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - BlazerMatt - 04-17-2017 01:13 PM

(04-17-2017 01:07 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Good move. Lots of prospects do this. Gives him a chance to see what he needs to work on. Didn't Vaden do this?

Yes, I think that was the first year after the NCAA changed the rules so you could come back after declaring as long as you didnt sign with an agent or take benefits. The NBA folks told him to work on his offensive game off the bounce and get better guarding the ball defensively... Probably the exact same things they are going to tell Haha.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - BlazeN'Bham - 04-17-2017 01:13 PM

Cokley might as well do it too....

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - 4thDownBlazer - 04-17-2017 01:14 PM

not sure about vaden, although he was drafted in the 2nd round following his senior year. He's never touched an NBA court though

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - hooverblazer - 04-17-2017 01:14 PM

(04-17-2017 01:07 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Good move. Lots of prospects do this. Gives him a chance to see what he needs to work on. Didn't Vaden do this?

Yes. Although I'd argue it got in his head too much. They told him his 3 point shooting was good and that he needed to get better at driving the ball. IMO he tried to overcompensate and force that aspect of his game while letting his 3 point shot slightly deteriorate.

As for Haha, no harm in testing the waters. It only makes sense to leave early if you're a projected 1st round pick (which Haha will not be). I'll be shocked if he's not back next year.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - BlazerMatt - 04-17-2017 01:15 PM

(04-17-2017 01:13 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Cokley might as well do it too....

Cokely is an overseas player. Just doesnt have the size to be a post in the NBA and doesnt have the range to be a stretch 4.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - Memphis Blazer - 04-17-2017 01:40 PM

(04-17-2017 01:15 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 01:13 PM)BlazeNBham Wrote:  Cokley might as well do it too....

Cokely is an overseas player. Just doesnt have the size to be a post in the NBA and doesnt have the range to be a stretch 4.

Still he might test the waters

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - KevMo4UAB - 04-17-2017 01:54 PM

I think Vader got bad advice. He was a shooter, not a driver. He was a shooter like Kyle Korver or Klay Thompson, although not quite as tall as those two guys.

In Vaden's case, I believe he was a better college player before getting NBA advice.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - WesternBlazer - 04-17-2017 01:57 PM

(04-17-2017 01:14 PM)hooverblazer Wrote:  

Yes. Although I'd argue it got in his head too much. They told him his 3 point shooting was good and that he needed to get better at driving the ball. IMO he tried to overcompensate and force that aspect of his game while letting his 3 point shot slightly deteriorate.

As for Haha, no harm in testing the waters. It only makes sense to leave early if you're a projected 1st round pick (which Haha will not be). I'll be shocked if he's not back next year.

Yep!

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - The Answer UAB - 04-17-2017 03:39 PM

(04-17-2017 01:54 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  I think Vader got bad advice. He was a shooter, not a driver. He was a shooter like Kyle Korver or Klay Thompson, although not quite as tall as those two guys.

In Vaden's case, I believe he was a better college player before getting NBA advice.

I completely agree. His game slipped slightly as a senior. He tried to change his game too much. He lost weight and got in good shape, which was awesome, but he tried to change his game way too much.

There's no way haha gets drafted this year. I'd be very shocked if he doesn't come back..

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - 4thDownBlazer - 04-17-2017 03:48 PM

he might get drafted in the second round, but that's not worth leaving since theres zero guaranteed money in second round. That's equivalent to FA in football ..

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - jthrashr - 04-17-2017 03:51 PM

(04-17-2017 03:39 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 01:54 PM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  I think Vader got bad advice. He was a shooter, not a driver. He was a shooter like Kyle Korver or Klay Thompson, although not quite as tall as those two guys.

I completely agree. His game slipped slightly as a senior. He tried to change his game too much. He lost weight and got in good shape, which was awesome, but he tried to change his game way too much.

There's no way haha gets drafted this year. I'd be very shocked if he doesn't come back..

The three-point line was also extended Vaden's senior year, which probably didn't affect his shot too much, but it's something people forget.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - WesternBlazer - 04-17-2017 04:03 PM

(04-17-2017 03:51 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  

The three-point line was also extended Vaden's senior year, which probably didn't affect his shot too much, but it's something people forget.

Its those wierd drives to the basket that I can't forget...

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - jthrashr - 04-17-2017 04:29 PM

(04-17-2017 04:03 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 03:51 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  

Its those wierd drives to the basket that I can't forget...

Yeah, I remember that too, but when I looked at his stats from year-to-year, they weren't that different in terms of shot attempts. He just didn't shoot as well his senior year—even his free throw percentage dipped quite a bit. Oddly enough, Vaden even attempted more free throws his junior year.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - Dragonz Lair - 04-17-2017 09:27 PM

This is a real positive for next season...it shows Lee has realistic expectations and is absolutely focused on his senior season...

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - iam4uab - 04-18-2017 09:38 AM

I think he's got the best physical makeup of anyone we've had in a while to play at the next level. His game already looks a lot like some of the guys playing successfully in the NBA. Vaden was trying to reinvent himself during his senior season, I don't think Haha has to do that. He just needs to take what he's already doing to the next level. If the coaches are on board helping him do that, this could be the year we see him averaging 35 minutes a game.

I'm actually less confident that we have coaches that can get him ready than I am in his ability to get there.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - Blazing Saddles - 04-18-2017 09:49 AM

(04-18-2017 09:38 AM)iam4uab Wrote:  I think he's got the best physical makeup of anyone we've had in a while to play at the next level. His game already looks a lot like some of the guys playing successfully in the NBA. Vaden was trying to reinvent himself during his senior season, I don't think Haha has to do that. He just needs to take what he's already doing to the next level. If the coaches are on board helping him do that, this could be the year we see him averaging 35 minutes a game.

I'm actually less confident that we have coaches that can get him ready than I am in his ability to get there.

35 minutes a game is a lot.

RE: Champlin: UAB's William Lee to enter NBA Draft, not sign with agent - Big Dee - 04-18-2017 10:07 AM

Give it a shot Coke, help yourself and the program.