CSNbbs
I woke up one day and Trump... - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: I woke up one day and Trump... (/thread-815661.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

I woke up one day and Trump... - Jugnaut - 04-17-2017 07:09 AM

...changed from a non-interventionist America Firster to a neocon warhawk. What happened? Why are we forcing North Korea to a head? It's looking like North Korea has to cave or we're going to war, why? Same for Syria. Did the deep state win? He's turning into Hillary in a pantsuit fast!

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - EverRespect - 04-17-2017 07:34 AM

Show of strength and element of surprise. I highly doubt we go to war and put American lives at risk. This is precisely what he campaigned on.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - bullet - 04-17-2017 07:35 AM

(04-17-2017 07:09 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  ...changed from a non-interventionist America Firster to a neocon warhawk. What happened? Why are we forcing North Korea to a head? It's looking like North Korea has to cave or we're going to war, why? Same for Syria. Did the deep state win? He's turning into Hillary in a pantsuit fast!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/04/michael-anton-donald-trump-foreign-policy-215036

The problem is that you take MSM seriously. I haven't found anything surprising, yet, anyway.

...Does Donald Trump, in other words, still subscribe to the version of Trumpism that Anton and others have articulated?

Absolutely, Anton tells me in a new interview for The Global POLITICO, our weekly podcast on world affairs in the Trump era. Not only that, but Anton’s intellectual hero Machiavelli would approve of the president’s keep-them-guessing foreign policy. “The only thing maybe predictable about his foreign policy is that he says to the world, I’m going to be unpredictable,” Anton says, in a wide-ranging conversation that covers everything from Anton’s choice of pseudonym to the possibility of a military strike in North Korea. “I think he relishes that, to keep adversaries, competitors alike, sort of off balance.”

Anton, who notes that he was present for most of the president’s meetings over whether to launch the Syria airstrike and is shown seated in the Mar-a-Lago photograph of Trump and Co. when the decision was made, argues that the foreign policy commentariat – he refers dismissively to the national security “priesthood” of both parties in his writings – has overinterpreted Trump’s early international moves, mistakenly seeing them as a course correction.

Not so, he says; they are in fact signs of the deal-making flexibility and muscular response to challenges Trump promised on the campaign trail as an antidote to what he viewed as President Obama’s “weak” leadership in the world.

Bottom line? Trump, he says, “doesn’t intend to use the U.S. military to effect regime change in Syria, which is completely consistent with everything he said during the course of his campaign, not just about Syria, but about other countries.” The president, Anton tells me, is also still eager to pursue reconciliation with Russia despite the current tough words over Russian backing of Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad and thinks “that he can even build a positive relationship with Vladimir Putin.”

“A lot of this comes down to people misinterpreting the president’s campaign rhetoric. He never campaigned as someone who would not use military power in any circumstance—U.S. military power. In fact, he said quite the opposite.

He made it plain that he was willing to use U.S. military power in instances when he thought it was in the national interest....

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - LeFlâneur - 04-17-2017 07:39 AM

The world is a different place when viewed from the Oval Office.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Paul M - 04-17-2017 07:44 AM

The Syrian strike was fine by me but it wasn't in the national interest Anton.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - bullet - 04-17-2017 08:03 AM

Constraining the use of chemical weapons reduces the chance that they will one day be used against us.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Crebman - 04-17-2017 08:24 AM

I really have no issue with Trump sending a message to Assad that use of Chemical weapons will not be tolerated. I think his strike was exactly that - a message. What has occurred so far is a long way from boots on the ground.

The idea that you can have lines that, if crossed, won't be tolerated is nothing but empty rhetoric if nothing of note is ever done (see the Obama presidency). Talk without carrying a big stick is just that - talk.......and other world leaders know it. It's why Obumble was dismissed the way he was.

I think Trump knows he will have to show a willingness to use force before other world leaders will take him seriously. They have to believe "this guys means business" when sitting face to face. Puitn, China, Iran.......they all KNEW Obama was no more than an empty suit.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - VA49er - 04-17-2017 08:27 AM

(04-17-2017 07:09 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  ...changed from a non-interventionist America Firster to a neocon warhawk. What happened? Why are we forcing North Korea to a head? It's looking like North Korea has to cave or we're going to war, why? Same for Syria. Did the deep state win? He's turning into Hillary in a pantsuit fast!

This kind of thing occurs after EVERY election. Not sure why anyone would be surprised.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - swagsurfer11 - 04-17-2017 09:13 AM

W. promised the same thing. You guys got fooled again.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Jugnaut - 04-17-2017 09:24 AM

(04-17-2017 08:27 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

This kind of thing occurs after EVERY election. Not sure why anyone would be surprised.

I shouldn't be surprised. I'm a small "l" libertarian and support non - intervention. I'd like our foreign policy to mirror Switzerland or Ireland. Trump came in as an outsider. I was hopeful he'd keep his non - interventionist ideas, but they seem to have gone away. We're back to being the world police. I'm disappointed. I'm still cautiously optimistic about some domestic policy issues but foreign policy is off the rails.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - bullet - 04-17-2017 09:27 AM

(04-17-2017 09:24 AM)Jugnaut Wrote:  
(04-17-2017 08:27 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

I shouldn't be surprised. I'm a small "l" libertarian and support non - intervention. I'd like our foreign policy to mirror Switzerland or Ireland. Trump came in as an outsider. I was hopeful he'd keep his non - interventionist ideas, but they seem to have gone away. We're back to being the world police. I'm disappointed. I'm still cautiously optimistic about some domestic policy issues but foreign policy is off the rails.

As the article shows, his foreign policy so far has been very predictable from what he said on the campaign trail. Maybe you heard what you wanted to hear instead of what he actually said.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Machiavelli - 04-17-2017 10:27 AM

A Trumpbot will always be a trumpbot. Over the weekend he TWEETED China is no longer a currency manipulator because they are helping is with N Korea. This was one of the major things he campaigned on and nary a peep here. It also goes to show you there is nothing he won't say or do to get a deal. His approval ratings are up! Trumpbots aren't leaving the ship.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - VA49er - 04-17-2017 10:30 AM

(04-17-2017 10:27 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  A Trumpbot will always be a trumpbot. Over the weekend he TWEETED China is no longer a currency manipulator because they are helping is with N Korea. This was one of the major things he campaigned on and nary a peep here. It also goes to show you there is nothing he won't say or do to get a deal. His approval ratings are up! Trumpbots aren't leaving the ship.

Your partisanship is showing......

Folks that believe anything a candidate says are idiots. That goes for the past 8 years and the next eight years. For one, I'm glad Trump is working with China now. EVERYONE knows China manipulates its currency; however, there are more important things that that going on at the moment. I'm glad Trump can prioritize.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - 200yrs2late - 04-17-2017 10:32 AM

(04-17-2017 10:27 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  A Trumpbot will always be a trumpbot. Over the weekend he TWEETED China is no longer a currency manipulator because they are helping is with N Korea. This was one of the major things he campaigned on and nary a peep here. It also goes to show you there is nothing he won't say or do to get a deal. His approval ratings are up! Trumpbots aren't leaving the ship.

Trump and America win and you complain.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Machiavelli - 04-17-2017 10:32 AM

So sell out the people who voted you in to take care of Asia. America First! MAGA!

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - UTSAMarineVet09 - 04-17-2017 10:33 AM

Mach hates America.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - VA49er - 04-17-2017 10:38 AM

(04-17-2017 10:33 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  Mach hates America.

And apparently has already forgot the last 8 years.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - LeFlâneur - 04-17-2017 10:42 AM

Thing is, China has not been a (blatant) currency manipulator. If you have a criticism of Trump it would be that he campaigned on a false issue. Well actually, it is a gray issue depending on how it is framed. Trump's campaign looked at the issue in black'n'white. Once you get into the Oval Office, you tend to see the shades of gray. There is plenty of nuance involved in exchange rates. But the single most important thing to remember is that manipulation is a short term event that will equilibrate over time.

Also remember that currency manipulation provides an excellent arbitrage opportunity.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Machiavelli - 04-17-2017 10:42 AM

Hates America????? What planet do you guys live on? Is it at least sunny there? What clouds do Trumpbots see? They are no longer a currency manipulator because they are helping with N Korea? How is that America First? How is that being tough on China? How easy is it to flip flop in the Trump world. The guy has no core beliefs. Will say ANYTHING to make a deal and you guys lap up the puke like obedient dogs would.

RE: I woke up one day and Trump... - Machiavelli - 04-17-2017 10:44 AM

That comment was for the first two not La Fleneur. He gets it. He got his Supreme Court judge. All else he can live with. The first two comments blew me away. Mach hates America because he calls out Trump for having Zero core beliefs.