CSNbbs
University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football (/thread-815206.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - DavidSt - 04-12-2017 02:06 AM

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Could-new-college-football-program-come-to-Arkansas-52242934

If it goes? Sun Belt Conference will gain a 11th football team in the near future.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - AZcats - 04-12-2017 05:05 AM

There has been several threads on this topic. It ain't happenin'. The pigs won't give their blessing and too many people in the state are brainwashed to worship the almighty hog. I'm glad I was cured a long time ago.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - MplsBison - 04-12-2017 10:17 AM

Seems like a no-brainer, with support from students and a stadium ready to use. Very similar to U of S Alabama.

And if UALR becomes the Sun Belt's 11th football team ... does that open the door for Missouri St?

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - DavidSt - 04-12-2017 10:31 AM

I think Little Rock dropped Arkansas from the first part and are known as University of Little Rock. Looks like they are moving away on their own from the people from Fayetteville to be their own like South Alabama did.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - Tom in Lazybrook - 04-12-2017 10:41 AM

(04-12-2017 10:31 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think Little Rock dropped Arkansas from the first part and are known as University of Little Rock. Looks like they are moving away on their own from the people from Fayetteville to be their own like South Alabama did.

Mobile and Little Rock both have city owned stadiums where a team can play. Both also are in a conference with an automatic ticket to FBS.

The similarities end there.

USA has its own board. UALR does not. Even worse, UALR's board is controlled by the Univ of Arkansas. Politically, its going to be very difficult for UALR.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - MplsBison - 04-12-2017 10:53 AM

But here is one thing to counter that, Tom: Arkansas has been able to deny UALR a football team for decades under the premise that "Arkansas" is their football team ... with the proof being the yearly Little Rock game.

Now that game is in jeopardy.

That could be the --- yes, small --- window of opportunity.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - ShockerDR - 04-12-2017 11:44 AM

Wouldn't the fact that they've reached a "feasability study" give credence to Arkansas potentially signing off on this?

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - Blue_Trombone - 04-12-2017 11:59 AM

(04-12-2017 11:44 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  Wouldn't the fact that they've reached a "feasability study" give credence to Arkansas potentially signing off on this?

Maybe. Could also be a "Well we tried" kinda measure where the actually feasibility study has no chance at all.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - billybobby777 - 04-12-2017 12:21 PM

(04-12-2017 10:53 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  But here is one thing to counter that, Tom: Arkansas has been able to deny UALR a football team for decades under the premise that "Arkansas" is their football team ... with the proof being the yearly Little Rock game.

Now that game is in jeopardy.

That could be the --- yes, small --- window of opportunity.

When I was a kid, I remember Arkansas would play 3 games a year in Little Rock...I hadn't heard the game is in jeopardy now? Please explain?

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - MplsBison - 04-12-2017 12:46 PM

With big dollar upgrades to the stadium in Fayetteville, which only gets used for football games and sits empty most of the year, and now a yearly game in AT&T Stadium vs Texas A&M, why does the Arkansas football team want to play a yearly "home" game in ho-hum Memorial Stadium?

The current contract only goes through 2018.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - bluesox - 04-12-2017 01:09 PM

I would guess this is a bluff to keep arkansas playing games in Little rock. If they move all the games out than UALR football could happen to fill the void.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - ark30inf - 04-12-2017 01:47 PM

(04-12-2017 11:44 AM)ShockerDR Wrote:  Wouldn't the fact that they've reached a "feasability study" give credence to Arkansas potentially signing off on this?
Ftom KATV - "considering a feasability study"

On the radio the AD said they should do a feasability study "at some point".

Reddit - doing feasability study

Hogs247 - doing a feasability study

Chancellor Rogerson - No plans. A large donor coming forward would give impetus to do a feasability study.

In my view this is a student petition with accompanying press mistakes...and no feasability study.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - MplsBison - 04-12-2017 01:51 PM

Ark St won't like a UALR football team in the Sun Belt, one bit!

No more than Troy liked USA coming online.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - AZcats - 04-12-2017 02:04 PM

(04-12-2017 10:31 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I think Little Rock dropped Arkansas from the first part and are known as University of Little Rock. Looks like they are moving away on their own from the people from Fayetteville to be their own like South Alabama did.

Wow. The school's name and what is printed on diplomas is "UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK". It is called Little Rock for athletic reasons only. Fayetteville still runs the Little Rock campus. South Alabama was never a part of the Alabama or Auburn systems.

There has been talk of UArk ending Little Rock games for nearly 40 years and it looks like it may finally happen. One of the main reasons for the LR games was to be more accessible to fans in the southern and eastern parts of the state. Now that the Fayetteville stadium has been expanded (currently about 20,000 more than Little Rock) and having I-49 to make travel to northwest Arkansas easier it's not as important to play in Little Rock anymore.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - ark30inf - 04-12-2017 02:13 PM

(04-12-2017 01:51 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Ark St won't like a UALR football team in the Sun Belt, one bit!

No more than Troy liked USA coming online.
Not sure about that. There are positives and negatives to everything.

But that would let us get a game at War Memorial every other year without losing a home game and without paying rent. It would get us a lot of attention on central Arkansas media we don't get now. It would give our fans a real easy to get to away game we don't have now.

And if UALR developed a following that following would drive to Jonesboro and spend money and yell.

We'd survive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - arkstfan - 04-12-2017 02:34 PM

UALR sponsors 14 sports.
FBS will require 16 sports.
UALR does not fund all of the allowed scholarships currently.
FBS would require funding a minimum of 200.

UCA reported to the state (which uses significantly different accounting from the report USA Today does, namely not looking at capital expenditures) that they spent almost $3 million more on athletics than UALR.

So to get to the level of a pretty good FCS school UALR has to increase annual operating budget about 32%
To get to the level of AState, UALR has to increase annual operating budget 99.8%
That's an annual outlay in excess of $9 million more than they currently spend on athletics.

Now they could go with a student fee. Arkansas State charges $19 per credit hour per semester. UALR currently charges $20 per credit hour per semester. UCA one of the two FCS programs charges $18 per hour. UAPB the other FCS charges $17 per hour.

So UALR already has the highest athletic fee of the five Division I schools in Arkansas. That doesn't leave a lot of room to divert the cost to students.

They really have to have a benefactor step up, not only to help them get past the start-up costs (football will operate for a year with no revenue at all) but to deal with ongoing costs.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - MWC Tex - 04-12-2017 02:43 PM

(04-12-2017 02:34 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  UALR sponsors 14 sports.

UCA reported to the state (which uses significantly different accounting from the report USA Today does, namely not looking at capital expenditures) that they spent almost $3 million more on athletics than UALR.

So to get to the level of a pretty good FCS school UALR has to increase annual operating budget about 32%
To get to the level of AState, UALR has to increase annual operating budget 99.8%
That's an annual outlay in excess of $9 million more than they currently spend on athletics.

Now they could go with a student fee. Arkansas State charges $19 per credit hour per semester. UALR currently charges $20 per credit hour per semester. UCA one of the two FCS programs charges $18 per hour. UAPB the other FCS charges $17 per hour.

So UALR already has the highest athletic fee of the five Division I schools in Arkansas. That doesn't leave a lot of room to divert the cost to students.

They really have to have a benefactor step up, not only to help them get past the start-up costs (football will operate for a year with no revenue at all) but to deal with ongoing costs.

That is probably what they are looking at: FCS football. It'd be no issue with UA. Now UCA may have an issue but which system are they part of?

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - ark30inf - 04-12-2017 03:01 PM

(04-12-2017 02:43 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(04-12-2017 02:34 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  UALR sponsors 14 sports.

That is probably what they are looking at: FCS football. It'd be no issue with UA. Now UCA may have an issue but which system are they part of?

UCA is UCA. No system. I am sure they would not like the idea of UALR football.

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - billybobby777 - 04-12-2017 03:15 PM

(04-12-2017 02:04 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

Wow. The school's name and what is printed on diplomas is "UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT LITTLE ROCK". It is called Little Rock for athletic reasons only. Fayetteville still runs the Little Rock campus. South Alabama was never a part of the Alabama or Auburn systems.

There has been talk of UArk ending Little Rock games for nearly 40 years and it looks like it may finally happen. One of the main reasons for the LR games was to be more accessible to fans in the southern and eastern parts of the state. Now that the Fayetteville stadium has been expanded (currently about 20,000 more than Little Rock) and having I-49 to make travel to northwest Arkansas easier it's not as important to play in Little Rock anymore.

I wanted to reply but figured someone would do it for me. DavidSt: you live in Arkansas. How do you not understand how the flagship of your state operates?

RE: University Arkansas of Little Rock Doing A Feasibility Study To Add Football - arkstfan - 04-12-2017 03:15 PM

UAB sort of did that.
They started football as Division III.
Then when the NCAA forced the Division II and III football schools who were Division I in other sports to move up they jumped on it and soon said hey we can go I-A for not much more money.

But they started out as low cost football to get their nose under the tent.