CSNbbs
Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name (/thread-814763.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - Shox - 04-07-2017 10:18 AM

We have been hashing this out on Shockernet for quite a while...with a move to the AAC, should Wichita State drop State from our name and go back to WU and University of Wichita? Most of the old time Shocker fans still call us "Dubya U" so no doubt it takes a long time for a name change to take hold. The whole idea is that we want to better fit into our conference and some think (myself included) a name change would help. The obvious drawback is that Wichita State now has some cache so people are familiar with it. However, if you listen to the national media, especially while calling a game, they usually call us Wichita anyways.

Thoughts?

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - BigEastHomer - 04-07-2017 10:19 AM

I like the Wichita State brand...but I think its great either way.

Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - PirateJP - 04-07-2017 10:21 AM

I think to most of the country or at least the casual sports fans Wichita State is a known commodity, and since it's already a brand that people recognize you should just go ahead and keep it. That being said East Carolina fans are having the same conversation over on our boards about whether we should stay with East Carolina or just go to ECU.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - invisiblehand - 04-07-2017 10:22 AM

(04-07-2017 10:21 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  I think to most of the country or at least the casual sports fans Wichita State is a known commodity, and since it's already a brand that people recognize you should just go ahead and keep it. That being said East Carolina fans are having the same conversation over on our boards about whether we should stay with East Carolina or just go to ECU.

Why don't you just go to "Greenville U" hahaha

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - Stallion - 04-07-2017 10:23 AM

well just don't schedule Aggy because they would show up in Wichita Falls

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - invisiblehand - 04-07-2017 10:23 AM

It would make a lot more sense to have Tulsa, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, and Wichita.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - 8BitPirate - 04-07-2017 10:24 AM

(04-07-2017 10:22 AM)invisiblehand Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 10:21 AM)PirateJP Wrote:  I think to most of the country or at least the casual sports fans Wichita State is a known commodity, and since it's already a brand that people recognize you should just go ahead and keep it. That being said East Carolina fans are having the same conversation over on our boards about whether we should stay with East Carolina or just go to ECU.

Why don't you just go to "Greenville U" hahaha

UNCe

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - BigEastHomer - 04-07-2017 10:25 AM

In that case, I like "ECU" over "East Carolina".. just like this.

[Image: Kp8Q9b.jpg]

It should reflect the crowd chant at games.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - HartfordHusky - 04-07-2017 10:27 AM

I think Wichita State is fine.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - BearcatJerry - 04-07-2017 10:28 AM

KEEP the "State... You are a "State" supported university.

FWIW, "Memphis" should have kept the "State" moniker as well.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - fastbow - 04-07-2017 10:29 AM

I've always been an advocate for dropping the State. Before I left ShockerNet. I've also long been an advocate for formally bringing Wheat back to the name.

The Wichita University Wheatshockers just sounds so much better.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - Attackcoog - 04-07-2017 10:30 AM

Id leave it the way it is. UH faced this a while back. We considered rebranding as Texas State (the name was still available at the time). Texas State was probably a more inclusive name that would have had broader appeal---but there was already so much brand identity in the UH name and so many great sports moments connected with the University of Houston athletics, the idea never really got much traction.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - CitrusUCF - 04-07-2017 10:30 AM

I'd drop it. I think Boise should go to the University of Boise too.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - Kruciff - 04-07-2017 10:31 AM

(04-07-2017 10:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Id leave it the way it is.

This. No need to restart the brand Wichita State built.

Same argument against UCF becoming UF-Orlando, or Orlando University.

Although, the idea of having a WU, and OU in the conference is appealing.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - firmbizzle - 04-07-2017 10:35 AM

Memphis should add State to their name. Better then.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - HartfordHusky - 04-07-2017 10:35 AM

(04-07-2017 10:31 AM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(04-07-2017 10:30 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Id leave it the way it is.

This. No need to restart the brand Wichita State built.

Same argument against UCF becoming UF-Orlando, or Orlando University.

Although, the idea of having a WU, and OU in the conference is appealing.

I still think it's better not to have directions in the names. I certainly understand that UCF has now established its branding. University of Orlando sounds good though.

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - rabidTU2 - 04-07-2017 10:41 AM

IMO it doesn't really matter. But it might cost the fans some cash to transfer it over. BTW you dont have to do it right now if you decide to do it at all. I'd wait a little longer. You have a good brand right now. IMO

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - Dport29 - 04-07-2017 10:42 AM

I don't mind Wichita State at all. I wonder if the AAC schools will come up with the line "Wichita is not a state"

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - billybobby777 - 04-07-2017 10:45 AM

(04-07-2017 10:23 AM)Stallion Wrote:  well just don't schedule Aggy because they would show up in Wichita Falls

A heck of a town.....not

RE: Thoughts on Wichita State dropping the "State" from our name - billybobby777 - 04-07-2017 10:45 AM

(04-07-2017 10:30 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  I'd drop it. I think Boise should go to the University of Boise too.

We all call them Boise anyway. Might as well