CSNbbs
STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA (/thread-813786.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - TigersOhMy - 03-29-2017 09:19 AM

Wow, they let Stukenborg go, along with Donahue and their best sports photographer

http://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog/archives/2017/03/28/more-layoffs-hit-the-commercial-appeal

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - Tiger1983 - 03-29-2017 01:23 PM

It is sad news.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - TIGERCITY - 03-29-2017 02:22 PM

(03-29-2017 09:19 AM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  Wow, they let Stukenborg go, along with Donahue and their best sports photographer

http://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlog/archives/2017/03/28/more-layoffs-hit-the-commercial-appeal

This is happening and going to happen to cable. The cord cutting, I suspect, is much closer to it beginning than its apex --

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - idroot4russia - 03-29-2017 02:25 PM

Once they start streaming live sports its all over for cable and satellite.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - tigergreen - 03-29-2017 02:26 PM

When Gannett took over the CA, the writing was on the wall. They're going to consolidate as much as possible out of one central office, so truly local news will practically cease to exist. It's sad.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - memtiger1987 - 03-29-2017 02:27 PM

Not sure how Donahue kept his job this long...

Newspapers are close to being obsolete...

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - oruvoice - 03-29-2017 02:35 PM

(03-29-2017 02:26 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  When Gannett took over the CA, the writing was on the wall. They're going to consolidate as much as possible out of one central office, so truly local news will practically cease to exist. It's sad.

Pfft. I don't need no stinkin' local news.

I got MT.ORG!!

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - EarthBoundMisfit - 03-29-2017 02:36 PM

Stuke AND Donahue? Harsh
I JUST let my digital subscription from the Commercial Appeal lapse.
(Didn't need it with being able to download the Commercial Appeal app from Google playstore anyway)

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - aTxTIGER - 03-29-2017 02:41 PM

Eventually they will all be gone. It sucks but the local newspaper model just doesn't work at this level any more. No newspaper can be what it once was and only the biggest papers(NYT, USA Today/Gannett, etc) can find a model that works in any way.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - TIGERCITY - 03-29-2017 02:41 PM

(03-29-2017 02:26 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  When Gannett took over the CA, the writing was on the wall. They're going to consolidate as much as possible out of one central office, so truly local news will practically cease to exist. It's sad.

The paper version allows you to read yesterday's news 24 hours after you've already heard about it --- I think the local news will just move on line with the rest of it.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - holyterror - 03-29-2017 02:49 PM

I can gather all the news I need from the weather report...

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - mairving - 03-29-2017 02:49 PM

(03-29-2017 02:25 PM)idroot4russia Wrote:  Once they start streaming live sports its all over for cable and satellite.

Unless your TV provider is also your Internet provider.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - Hoots - 03-29-2017 03:35 PM

Kinda awkward that they posted names and photos of those affected. Like they were homicide victims or something. A bit strange, imo.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - Tiger87 - 03-29-2017 05:18 PM

Ever tried to find a sun-dial repairman?

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - bubbapt - 03-29-2017 05:22 PM

Our basketball program's woes played a role.

Think about that, Calkins, when you cash your checks. "Whoops! Did one hatchet job article? Don't blame me that it has real world effects."

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - aTxTIGER - 03-30-2017 08:02 AM

(03-29-2017 03:35 PM)Hoots Wrote:  Kinda awkward that they posted names and photos of those affected. Like they were homicide victims or something. A bit strange, imo.

Yup.

One of those reporters is about to have a kid. Sucks to be laid off now. Hope they got some severance.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - Mimi - 03-30-2017 08:21 AM

Nationally, and none of this is new information, people stopped buying as many papers. People started shopping more at Wal Mart and Dollar General, so we have more Wal Marts and Dollar Generals. We have fewer newspapers.

Difficult to see the complaints about lack of coverage, when people spoke with their wallets. Some things were worth paying for. Newspapers were one of them.

The I phone has a voracious appetite. Distracted driving kills thousands more people per year. More children get injured at playgrounds while their parents drift away staring at a small device. Reading a facebook feed that does little more than echo what people already believed replaced reading news...and this is what we get.

Apple won...they created an item as addictive as opiates, and it is on the way to being as dangerous. Close to 20 overall people a day die due to the I phone addiction, while around 90 a day die from opiate addiction. The gap is narrowing. Opiate addicts stop eating properly and damage their insides. I phone addicts stop reading properly and helped to destroy news(papers).

Dam.

Wail away.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - memp600 - 03-30-2017 08:29 AM

Next will be the sell of the property on Union.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - 3rdgenerationtiger - 03-30-2017 10:01 AM

(03-30-2017 08:21 AM)Mimi Wrote:  Nationally, and none of this is new information, people stopped buying as many papers. People started shopping more at Wal Mart and Dollar General, so we have more Wal Marts and Dollar Generals. We have fewer newspapers.

Difficult to see the complaints about lack of coverage, when people spoke with their wallets. Some things were worth paying for. Newspapers were one of them.

The I phone has a voracious appetite. Distracted driving kills thousands more people per year. More children get injured at playgrounds while their parents drift away staring at a small device. Reading a facebook feed that does little more than echo what people already believed replaced reading news...and this is what we get.

Apple won...they created an item as addictive as opiates, and it is on the way to being as dangerous. Close to 20 overall people a day die due to the I phone addiction, while around 90 a day die from opiate addiction. The gap is narrowing. Opiate addicts stop eating properly and damage their insides. I phone addicts stop reading properly and helped to destroy news(papers).

Dam.

Wail away.

iPhones don't kill people. People kill people.

RE: STR - More staff layoffs at the CA - Atlanta - 03-30-2017 11:15 AM

The whole news industry is going down the tubes. More & more difficult to discern real news from fake news which has been made all the more effective with the electronic production of news. But any & virtually all print media is doomed. That is why there is so much consolidation. Until the consolidation process gets to a point of a few sources being able to control the access, there is little money to be made. And BTW, those hopeful about direct access, it too will come at a price. It means sources like ESPN & the networks will have less live programing, which means conferences like the AAC will suffer financially just behind the other G conferences, & eventually the P conferences will also level off or begin to be reduced in terms of revenues & access. There's a ying & a yang to every change........