CSNbbs
The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the (/thread-813684.html)

The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - UTSAMarineVet09 - 03-28-2017 08:55 AM

thanks oblunder...

Quote:Every month since June 2009, Tad Steckler has received a disability benefits check from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Steckler retired from the Army at age 40 as a master sergeant with a Soldier’s Medal for heroism, and he’d built a new life on the foundation of his checks. The money covered rent on a three-bedroom home in Nebraska that he shared with his wife and her two daughters and the lease on the family’s Nissan Leaf electric car. It was all part of the agreement he’d made with the government when he enlisted out of high school: In exchange for his service, he’d be taken care of.

Last June, Steckler’s wife, Robyn Loveland, opened what she thought was just another envelope from the VA. Except this one wasn’t a check — it was a bill for more than $10,000. A letter stated that Steckler had received thousands of dollars in disability compensation in error, and the VA was going to withhold future payment until the debt was paid.

https://news.vice.com/story/va-veterans-overpayment

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - VA49er - 03-28-2017 08:57 AM

This will more than likely blow up like that situation where the soldiers were paid too much. Govt asked for it back and the public backlash started.

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - Hood-rich - 03-28-2017 08:58 AM

Not sure how this one is on Obama. the VA has been incompetent for decades. It needs an overhaul or eliminate it.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - dfarr - 03-28-2017 12:32 PM

They also need to revamp VA disability. The money some vets get paid for "disabilities" is a joke. I have numerous vets as patients who tell me that they get paid more for having prostate cancer because it increases their disability. This is from guys who haven't served since the 1970s.

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - SuperFlyBCat - 03-28-2017 12:52 PM

Government to the rescue.

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - olliebaba - 03-28-2017 12:58 PM

(03-28-2017 12:32 PM)dfarr Wrote:  They also need to revamp VA disability. The money some vets get paid for "disabilities" is a joke. I have numerous vets as patients who tell me that they get paid more for having prostate cancer because it increases their disability. This is from guys who haven't served since the 1970s.

I agree 100%. I have a neighbor where the wife worked for the VA and both her husband and son get VA bennies and neither one even served in a war zone. Sniff, sniff, smells fishy.

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - Fitbud - 03-28-2017 01:04 PM

(03-28-2017 08:55 AM)UTSAMarineVet09 Wrote:  thanks oblunder...

Quote:Every month since June 2009, Tad Steckler has received a disability benefits check from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Steckler retired from the Army at age 40 as a master sergeant with a Soldier’s Medal for heroism, and he’d built a new life on the foundation of his checks. The money covered rent on a three-bedroom home in Nebraska that he shared with his wife and her two daughters and the lease on the family’s Nissan Leaf electric car. It was all part of the agreement he’d made with the government when he enlisted out of high school: In exchange for his service, he’d be taken care of.

Last June, Steckler’s wife, Robyn Loveland, opened what she thought was just another envelope from the VA. Except this one wasn’t a check — it was a bill for more than $10,000. A letter stated that Steckler had received thousands of dollars in disability compensation in error, and the VA was going to withhold future payment until the debt was paid.

So let me get this straight. Obama gave them more money than they deserved and you're still mad at him? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - UTSAMarineVet09 - 03-28-2017 01:14 PM

(03-28-2017 01:04 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

So let me get this straight. Obama gave them more money than they deserved and you're still mad at him? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

mad at who? 07-coffee3

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - JMUDunk - 03-28-2017 02:45 PM

This is happening again?

Wasn't this attempted a year ago in California and somehow they got it straight without f$%%ing the Vets?

Bureaucracies in general are an unmitigated disaster, the VA sets a new low.

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - Niner National - 03-28-2017 02:59 PM

(03-28-2017 12:32 PM)dfarr Wrote:  They also need to revamp VA disability. The money some vets get paid for "disabilities" is a joke. I have numerous vets as patients who tell me that they get paid more for having prostate cancer because it increases their disability. This is from guys who haven't served since the 1970s.

Just met a marine today. He's 39. Just had back surgery and has had other surgeries from abuse his body has taken, including proximity to some IED explosions.

He gets $6,000/mo for the rest of his life.

I don't really have an issue with it, but that's way more than I thought a service member would ever get in retirement.

RE: The VA overpaid tens of thousands of veterans, and now it says they have to give the - UTSAMarineVet09 - 03-28-2017 03:08 PM

(03-28-2017 02:59 PM)Niner National Wrote:  

Just met a marine today. He's 39. Just had back surgery and has had other surgeries from abuse his body has taken, including proximity to some IED explosions.

He gets $6,000/mo for the rest of his life.

I don't really have an issue with it, but that's way more than I thought a service member would ever get in retirement.

He probably has kids and a wife.