CSNbbs
Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU (/thread-813297.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Gilesfan - 04-10-2017 05:38 PM

Georgetown has had great athletes.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Gilesfan - 04-15-2017 02:24 PM

Talley dismissed. Its a shame he could not keep things straight.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - ODU BBALL - 04-15-2017 02:35 PM

What the heck is going on over there? What happened this time to get Talley dismissed from the team?

Moseley, Douglas, Pervier, Talley, etc. is this just the way kids are going to be these days, or does it say something about the current state of the leadership? Some of both? Not sure.

Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - ODU Hoops - 04-15-2017 02:45 PM

This was his third suspension, sounds like he had trouble following rules regardless of what they were.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - EverRespect - 04-15-2017 03:22 PM

Talley getting his schit together was our hope to do something next year. Ugh

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Gilesfan - 04-15-2017 03:49 PM

(04-15-2017 02:35 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  What the heck is going on over there? What happened this time to get Talley dismissed from the team?

Moseley, Douglas, Pervier, Talley, etc. is this just the way kids are going to be these days, or does it say something about the current state of the leadership? Some of both? Not sure.

One of the issues is our administration tends to be tougher. If you look at Kansas, for example, those kids would never have been punished at ODU. Where you feel kids should have free reign or not, that is a major part of it.

I dont know what Talley did this time, so I wont speculate but the team was right to do what they did with Mosely, Pervier, Douglas. Did those kids have red flags in the past to where our staff should have avoided them?

I think more of the blame should be placed on the kids. They are given a flgreat opportunity, dont screw it up.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchblue - 04-15-2017 05:32 PM

So it's just bad luck?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Old Dominion - 04-15-2017 06:43 PM

No, it's not just bad luck. In my opinion, JJ is not an inspiring leader who kids look up to. He is not able to make kids want to please him. I doubt he bonds much at all with the kids. Yes, the kids need to make better choices and need to pay the price for not following rules, but having a charismatic coach who kids look up to as a father figure is important. We don't seem to have that person.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchblue - 04-15-2017 07:08 PM

(04-15-2017 06:43 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  No, it's not just bad luck. In my opinion, JJ is not an inspiring leader who kids look up to. He is not able to make kids want to please him. I doubt he bonds much at all with the kids. Yes, the kids need to make better choices and need to pay the price for not following rules, but having a charismatic coach who kids look up to as a father figure is important. We don't seem to have that person.
This is almost exactly what I believe.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Razor Ramon Monarch - 04-15-2017 07:15 PM

(04-15-2017 07:08 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-15-2017 06:43 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  No, it's not just bad luck. In my opinion, JJ is not an inspiring leader who kids look up to. He is not able to make kids want to please him. I doubt he bonds much at all with the kids. Yes, the kids need to make better choices and need to pay the price for not following rules, but having a charismatic coach who kids look up to as a father figure is important. We don't seem to have that person.
This is almost exactly what I believe.

Likewise. Nothing about him says leader. He should honestly still be at American where no one gave a crap.

Say what you will about Blaine, he was confident, charismatic and original.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Obiwan - 04-16-2017 06:07 AM

Accountability starts with yourself .. making excuses only hides what one can change for themselves . I understand all of your hatred for JJ but this is ridiculous so not only will anyone be satisfied until JJ gets us to the sweet 16 he now is responsible for the behavior off the court as a father figure? Wow- if that is a standard you demand - then perhaps it's a good start as a Father needs to teach the hard lessons at times - Getting your act together is start .

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchblue - 04-16-2017 09:38 AM

(04-16-2017 06:07 AM)Obiwan Wrote:  

Accountability starts with yourself .. making excuses only hides what one can change for themselves . I understand all of your hatred for JJ but this is ridiculous so not only will anyone be satisfied until JJ gets us to the sweet 16 he now is responsible for the behavior off the court as a father figure? Wow- if that is a standard you demand - then perhaps it's a good start as a Father needs to teach the hard lessons at times - Getting your act together is start .
Yes. Of course the coach is responsible for not running a program where kids are getting kicked off the team in quantities that are well beyond normal. His teams have had way more disciplinary issues than one would expect. If accountability starts with the individual, why does he escape his share?

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Justanodufan - 04-16-2017 01:37 PM

(04-16-2017 09:38 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  

Yes. Of course the coach is responsible for not running a program where kids are getting kicked off the team in quantities that are well beyond normal. His teams have had way more disciplinary issues than one would expect. If accountability starts with the individual, why does he escape his share?

Out of curiosity do you own a business? If you do how many strikes would you allow your employees to have?

If you don't own a business, I assume your employer has rules/guidelines that must be enforced. How many chances should you get if you break the rules?

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - bit_9 - 04-16-2017 05:05 PM

A line I like is that a company culture can be defined by the worst behavior allowed. If you allow exceptions and leeway for someone over another, despite performance that becomes the culture. It's a tough line to tow and the coaches and ad have to make tough decisions like letting go a student athlete with raw talent and a high ceiling.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - EverRespect - 04-16-2017 06:15 PM

(04-16-2017 05:05 PM)bit_9 Wrote:  A line I like is that a company culture can be defined by the worst behavior allowed. If you allow exceptions and leeway for someone over another, despite performance that becomes the culture. It's a tough line to tow and the coaches and ad have to make tough decisions like letting go a student athlete with raw talent and a high ceiling.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
I agree. Talley is the kind of talent where you do everything possible. As was Douglas BTW. I'm thinking this must have been pretty big and not something like missing a pickup game or smoking weed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Jackie Moon - 04-16-2017 07:28 PM

(04-16-2017 06:07 AM)Obiwan Wrote:  Accountability starts with yourself .. making excuses only hides what one can change for themselves . I understand all of your hatred for JJ but this is ridiculous so not only will anyone be satisfied until JJ gets us to the sweet 16 he now is responsible for the behavior off the court as a father figure? Wow- if that is a standard you demand - then perhaps it's a good start as a Father needs to teach the hard lessons at times - Getting your act together is start .

The problem is these "kids" were recruited directly and hand picked by Jones himself. The fans, AD, President, etc. are not the ones bringing the players in. This is his work. If he can't find young men that can keep their nose clean and out of trouble, that is on him. If he can't keep multiple rule breakers (Talley) from continuing to break the rules, that is on him as well. He is the one taking risks by bringing these guys in. He is the one who is the face of the basketball program. He is the one responsible for making sure that his players excel not only on the court but more importantly off the court as well.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Justanodufan - 04-16-2017 07:56 PM

(04-16-2017 07:28 PM)Jackie Moon Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 06:07 AM)Obiwan Wrote:  Accountability starts with yourself .. making excuses only hides what one can change for themselves . I understand all of your hatred for JJ but this is ridiculous so not only will anyone be satisfied until JJ gets us to the sweet 16 he now is responsible for the behavior off the court as a father figure? Wow- if that is a standard you demand - then perhaps it's a good start as a Father needs to teach the hard lessons at times - Getting your act together is start .

The problem is these "kids" were recruited directly and hand picked by Jones himself. The fans, AD, President, etc. are not the ones bringing the players in. This is his work. If he can't find young men that can keep their nose clean and out of trouble, that is on him. If he can't keep multiple rule breakers (Talley) from continuing to break the rules, that is on him as well. He is the one taking risks by bringing these guys in. He is the one who is the face of the basketball program. He is the one responsible for making sure that his players excel not only on the court but more importantly off the court as well

Unless things have changed since I was recruited (and played D1 ball), head coach doesn't vet the player, assistant coach does. Sure I got letters with the head coaches signatures all the time, but I dealt with one assistant coach at each school who were pursuing me.

Outside of the 5 schools I visited, I didn't meet with any of the head coaches.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchblue - 04-16-2017 08:39 PM

(04-16-2017 01:37 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

Out of curiosity do you own a business? If you do how many strikes would you allow your employees to have?

If you don't own a business, I assume your employer has rules/guidelines that must be enforced. How many chances should you get if you break the rules?
At NO point have I implied that I think that kids are being kicked off the team when they don't deserve to be, I am pretty sure only one person has even beat that drum. In fact, I have said the exact opposite. I am more concerned with the fact that JJ is either recruiting too many idiots, or not doing a good enough job of engaging his team. Make all the excuses for why this isn't on the coaching staff that you want, but you just aren't being realistic. The fact is that healthy college basketball programs don't have this many suspensions and dismissals.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchblue - 04-16-2017 08:46 PM

(04-16-2017 07:28 PM)Jackie Moon Wrote:  

The problem is these "kids" were recruited directly and hand picked by Jones himself. The fans, AD, President, etc. are not the ones bringing the players in. This is his work. If he can't find young men that can keep their nose clean and out of trouble, that is on him. If he can't keep multiple rule breakers (Talley) from continuing to break the rules, that is on him as well. He is the one taking risks by bringing these guys in. He is the one who is the face of the basketball program. He is the one responsible for making sure that his players excel not only on the court but more importantly off the court as well.
Nice post.

You would think from many of the posts on this board that JJ has nothing to to with anything and the basketball program doesn't even need a coach. Everything is the responsibility of the individual, and they are all going to do what they are going to do, on the court or off the court, regardless of who the coach is, or what said coach does. You just set rules and sit back and wait to see if everyone will follow them.

The defenses of every one of JJ's shortcomings by just saying "it isn't his fault" is becoming incredibly tiresome.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Justanodufan - 04-16-2017 10:21 PM

(04-16-2017 08:39 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(04-16-2017 01:37 PM)Justanodufan Wrote:  

At NO point have I implied that I think that kids are being kicked off the team when they don't deserve to be, I am pretty sure only one person has even beat that drum. In fact, I have said the exact opposite. I am more concerned with the fact that JJ is either recruiting too many idiots, or not doing a good enough job of engaging his team. Make all the excuses for why this isn't on the coaching staff that you want, but you just aren't being realistic. The fact is that healthy college basketball programs don't have this many suspensions and dismissals.

I had a teammate who had a love for hot boxing... really good player (all conference first team good) and in 4 years never once failed a drug test. Want to know why? He never took one. He never got selected. On a team of 12 dudes that's pretty hard to never get picked. But our 11, 12 man seemed to always get picked........ my point the programs that aren't dismissing people tend to have really lax rules or choose not to uphold the sanctions for certain sports. It's how you wind up with situations like Baylor Football and Kansas Basketball