CSNbbs
Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU (/thread-813297.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - T-Mac - 03-30-2017 08:47 AM

We've had TONS of freshmen starters. Loughton, Lee, Dahi, Finney, Talley, Hunter, Drew, DJ, Bacote...just off the top of my head.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Blue_Trombone - 03-30-2017 08:53 AM

Deion Clark started for a little bit as well too right?

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - 757ODU - 03-30-2017 09:10 AM

(03-30-2017 08:29 AM)blewbyu Wrote:  
(03-30-2017 07:42 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 06:31 PM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 02:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Miller has mentioned over and over that McClinton is a small forward replacing Taylor. Without any other info, its probably safe to assume that is the case.

From reading the comments made by the Wake fans along with reading McClinton's recruiting press clippings from his high school days I have to view him as a small forward. I also seem to remember reading that he was around 200 lbs which would be pretty light for a power forward. That would make him the same height and weight as Talley is. Denzel is the same height, but is listed as being 220 lbs. There were times when even he looked small next to some of the bigger power forwards he had to guard. If all of that is true then I am hopeful that McClinton is being brought in to provide minutes at small forward instead of replacing Denzel at the power forward. Even Aaron Carver is listed at 210 lbs.

Currently I believe ODU's best options at power forward are Brandon (playing with Porter), Kah, Carver, and depending on the match-up Vassor. If the opponent is small on the front line like Rice was this past season then some of the smaller frame guys like Talley and McClinton could suffice. If ODU was willing to play more zone, or if any of them were to develop a consistent 3 point shot then that too could change the dynamics.

McClinton is going to play the 4. He will be fine defending 4's. I am sure he did it at the ACC level and I am sure he can do it here. To play defense against a bigger player, you need a high motor and that seems to be what he has. You can bet on McClinton playing the 4 this year.

Jeff brought McClinton in to fill in for 8 or 10 minutes a game at the 3 and 4 spots....mediocre player who will not start and quite frankly not sure we need him at all. We are going to be a very average team.... and I don't see where bringing in a guy like McClinton helps any....the level of play by ODU is at an all time low right now and I don't see that this signing does much to change that....As far as the freshmen coming in they have to play...a lot....they may not start in the beginning but one of them will break into the starting line up,probably Heiwitt.( 2 spot) Expect to see Green ( 2 and 3 spots) playing a lot also...as far as JJ signing a power forward or center...not happening...

I highly doubt this, but you seem to know more than most about what is going on inside the program. I guess we will see.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - ODU_NYG - 03-30-2017 09:12 AM

(03-30-2017 08:31 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-30-2017 08:26 AM)JJMonarch Wrote:  
(03-30-2017 07:41 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 10:36 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 07:10 AM)757ODU Wrote:  What baffles me is that people still are saying that these freshman and redshirt freshman are not going to contribute to this year's team. They have to be kidding....don't they?

Serious question, who's the last true freshman in odu history that even started, much less came in and had a major impact?

I'm sure there's someone but I honestly don't know who.

You have no idea (no one does really) of how good their defense will be as true freshman so who knows how big of an impact they will have.

I can't think of anyone but I am also not sure that we have had anyone of this caliber in a very long time.

Alex Laughton started as a freshman and had a very solid freshman season. Didn't Bacote start as well? Both contributed highly as freshmen.

Yea...I guess Palmore too. I think he was all-freshman team.

Didn't Darius James start as a freshman? Maybe not right away, but I believe he was the starting PG after about a month into the season and started every game after that until he graduated. He wasn't a world beater by any means, but a very underrated player IMO.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - 757ODU - 03-30-2017 09:20 AM

(03-29-2017 02:15 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Miller has mentioned over and over that McClinton is a small forward replacing Taylor. Without any other info, its probably safe to assume that is the case.

From reading the comments made by the Wake fans along with reading McClinton's recruiting press clippings from his high school days I have to view him as a small forward. I also seem to remember reading that he was around 200 lbs which would be pretty light for a power forward. That would make him the same height and weight as Talley is. Denzel is the same height, but is listed as being 220 lbs. There were times when even he looked small next to some of the bigger power forwards he had to guard. If all of that is true then I am hopeful that McClinton is being brought in to provide minutes at small forward instead of replacing Denzel at the power forward. Even Aaron Carver is listed at 210 lbs.

Currently I believe ODU's best options at power forward are Brandon (playing with Porter), Kah, Carver, and depending on the match-up Vassor. If the opponent is small on the front line like Rice was this past season then some of the smaller frame guys like Talley and McClinton could suffice. If ODU was willing to play more zone, or if any of them were to develop a consistent 3 point shot then that too could change the dynamics.

McClinton is going to play the 4. He will be fine defending 4's. I am sure he did it at the ACC level and I am sure he can do it here. To play defense against a bigger player, you need a high motor and that seems to be what he has. You can bet on McClinton playing the 4 this year.

Jeff brought McClinton in to fill in for 8 or 10 minutes a game at the 3 and 4 spots....mediocre player who will not start and quite frankly not sure we need him at all. We are going to be a very average team.... and I don't see where bringing in a guy like McClinton helps any....the level of play by ODU is at an all time low right now and I don't see that this signing does much to change that....As far as the freshmen coming in they have to play...a lot....they may not start in the beginning but one of them will break into the starting line up,probably Heiwitt.( 2 spot) Expect to see Green ( 2 and 3 spots) playing a lot also...as far as JJ signing a power forward or center...not happening...

If this is correct about McClinton, then who do you see starting at the 4?

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchist13 - 03-30-2017 09:22 AM

(03-30-2017 08:53 AM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  Deion Clark started for a little bit as well too right?

He did until he injured his knee against Mason.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - T-Mac - 03-30-2017 09:55 AM

I'm curious why you think a team with four rising juniors and one rising senior is at an "all-time low" in regards to level of play? This team is WAY more talented than any team BT fielded his last three years, and seemingly more talented than any team that JJ has fielded in the four years he's been here.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - jumpshooter - 03-30-2017 10:05 AM

6-9 Ahmed Hamdy wants to leave VCU; eligible immediately. grad transfer.

And this'll really frost some here: Rhoades to make $1.2 million a year

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Bwebb009 - 03-30-2017 10:06 AM

Don't know which thread to put this in but Middle just got a grad transfer from Alabama

Nick King

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Gilesfan - 03-30-2017 10:08 AM

Have you been a fan for like 6 months?

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - mac - 03-30-2017 10:10 AM

"the level of play by ODU is at an all time low right now "

All time low? Give me a break. Tom Young 6-22 is an all time low. BT/Corrigan 5-25 is an all time low. Three losing seasons by Capel in a row is an all time low. We were one win from 20 last year, same coach who gave us our first top 25 EVER. Get a grip man. We all want better but you sound out of control with false statements like that.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Gilesfan - 03-30-2017 10:10 AM

(03-30-2017 10:06 AM)Bwebb009 Wrote:  Don't know which thread to put this in but Middle just got a grad transfer from Alabama

Nick King

That guy must suck. He's a transfer and didn't score a bunch of points.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - Monarchist13 - 03-30-2017 10:13 AM

(03-30-2017 10:06 AM)Bwebb009 Wrote:  Don't know which thread to put this in but Middle just got a grad transfer from Alabama

Nick King

Scored 3.3 ppg and grabbed 2.9 rpg this year but had his season cut short due to a lung infection. Was a top 50 recruit out of high school when he committed to Memphis. He averaged 4.9 points (as a true fresh) and 7.2 points (as a true soph) per game before transferring to Alabama.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - ODU BBALL - 03-30-2017 10:23 AM

Got a couple more responses just this morning to the question I posted on the Wake Forrest fan forum as to whether McClinton was better suited to play the 3 or the 4 for ODU -

"McClinton is a 3. His outside shot was nonexistent for Wake and he doesn't really take the ball to the basket from any further than 10 - 15 ft out.

"He's a quick jumper and a good offensive rebounder. Most of his points were on O rebounds, or plays at the rim. (For lack of a better term "Garbage points")

He's probably good for 4 or 5 ppg and 3 or 4 rebounds. A good role player with a good attitude. "

"Well said." The second poster commented in response to the above post.

Frankly, from the comments above this guy sounds like he is a combination of half Denzel and half Talley.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - jumpshooter - 03-30-2017 11:04 AM

George Mason announces sophomores DeAndre Abram, Danny Dixon and Kameron Murrell are transferring.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - JJMonarch - 03-30-2017 11:07 AM

(03-30-2017 08:47 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  We've had TONS of freshmen starters. Loughton, Lee, Dahi, Finney, Talley, Hunter, Drew, DJ, Bacote...just off the top of my head.

Exactly right mac. I actually feel this program is close to being on an all time high. I emphasize the word "close" because some good things have to happen for it to be true. BJ is going to be a stud and Porter is close as well with his shot blocking. Porter also showed some range this year with his jumper. Caver made great strides in his first year as a starter. He carried the team on his back in a stretch of games toward the end. And Talley could be a stud if he continues to work on his game. Brandon needs to have an injury free season and then we will see what he can do. He is a beast on the boards when he is healthy. His FT's improved this year and I expect him to work very hard on his game in the off season. This team has a high ceiling for next year. Carver made some nice contributions as a freshman and our three newcomers Green, Hueitt, and Godwin could prove to be the best backcourt we have recruited. Very excited for next season.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - EverRespect - 03-30-2017 12:14 PM

(03-30-2017 07:41 AM)757ODU Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 10:36 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  
(03-29-2017 07:10 AM)757ODU Wrote:  What baffles me is that people still are saying that these freshman and redshirt freshman are not going to contribute to this year's team. They have to be kidding....don't they?

Serious question, who's the last true freshman in odu history that even started, much less came in and had a major impact?

I'm sure there's someone but I honestly don't know who.

You have no idea (no one does really) of how good their defense will be as true freshman so who knows how big of an impact they will have.

I can't think of anyone but I am also not sure that we have had anyone of this caliber in a very long time.
Ben Finney probably.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - EverRespect - 03-30-2017 12:18 PM

(03-30-2017 10:10 AM)mac Wrote:  "the level of play by ODU is at an all time low right now "

All time low? Give me a break. Tom Young 6-22 is an all time low. BT/Corrigan 5-25 is an all time low. Three losing seasons by Capel in a row is an all time low. We were one win from 20 last year, same coach who gave us our first top 25 EVER. Get a grip man. We all want better but you sound out of control with false statements like that.
Agree. Not good enough, but nowhere close to an all time low.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - AdoptedMonarch - 03-30-2017 12:23 PM

Guys, please, you are losing the spirit of this thread.

No one wants to hear perspective. It only matters that we persistently pee all over things that others seem to care about.

RE: Haynes and Fields leaving ODU - 757ODU - 03-30-2017 12:34 PM

(03-30-2017 10:23 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  

Got a couple more responses just this morning to the question I posted on the Wake Forrest fan forum as to whether McClinton was better suited to play the 3 or the 4 for ODU -

"McClinton is a 3. His outside shot was nonexistent for Wake and he doesn't really take the ball to the basket from any further than 10 - 15 ft out.

"He's a quick jumper and a good offensive rebounder. Most of his points were on O rebounds, or plays at the rim. (For lack of a better term "Garbage points")

He's probably good for 4 or 5 ppg and 3 or 4 rebounds. A good role player with a good attitude. "

"Well said." The second poster commented in response to the above post.

Frankly, from the comments above this guy sounds like he is a combination of half Denzel and half Talley.

Then blewbyu is correct. If he doesn't play the 4 for this team, there is no need for this player. Do you truly believe that they would bring him on if he couldn't fill a need?