CSNbbs
Byers to go with Mike - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: Byers to go with Mike (/thread-813177.html)

Pages: 1 2

Byers to go with Mike - bobreinhold1 - 03-22-2017 11:36 AM

JD told me he's going with Mike to VCU. He said if Peera gets the job most of the players will stay.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - mrbig - 03-22-2017 11:44 AM

(03-22-2017 11:36 AM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  JD told me he's going with Mike to VCU. He said if Peera gets the job most of the players will stay.

Thanks for passing along this tidbit. Not surprising.

Most is honestly less enthusiastic than I hoped. I guess the key is really keeping the current core (Evans, Jackson, Quez, Cashaw, Lott, and at least 2 of Harrison/Douglas/Meyer). That core is still competitive for a CUSA buy and can keep the program moving in the right direction.

Egor leaving seems even more likely with a new coach, whether he plays a grad year somewhere or plays professionally.

Is Jackson graduating after this semester? If not, then he pretty much has to stay since he would have to sit out a year if he transferred.

Evans and Rhoades obviously have a close relationship, Rhoades has said that Evans was the 1st person he called after he got the Rice job. That said, its just hard to imagine Evans sitting out a year in the middle of his collegiate career.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Tiki Owl - 03-22-2017 12:08 PM

At this point unless there is a red flag somewhere I think Peera would be a good choice.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Fort Bend Owl - 03-22-2017 12:24 PM

How old is peera?

RE: Byers to go with Mike - ExcitedOwl18 - 03-22-2017 12:26 PM

He graduated college in 1989 so I think 49 or 50

RE: Byers to go with Mike - westsidewolf1989 - 03-22-2017 12:27 PM

Pera looks to be a few years older than Rhoades, comparing their college graduation years.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - JustAnotherAustinOwl - 03-22-2017 12:29 PM

He's ancient.

He'll have the team wearing canvas Chuck Taylors and shooting free throws underhanded.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Fort Bend Owl - 03-22-2017 12:37 PM

I was confusing pera and Byers. Pera would be a good choice

RE: Byers to go with Mike - picrig - 03-22-2017 12:47 PM

I would have no objection on the surface at least to Pera. Don't know a ton about him other than his time at Rice. Seems like a good recruiter, well-liked by players. This does seem to be a case where hiring from within wouldn't be a bad choice necessarily.

How do you weight the desire to for continuity (which gives a higher probability of retaining current players) with the desire for the best coach possible? Say for example that Pera as a candidate is a "B" and hiring him means all (or maybe only 1) player transfers. Meanwhile, you have a candidate who is an "A" but hiring from outside means you lose a significant core (however you want to define that) of the current team. How would you prefer we handle a situation like that?

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Fort Bend Owl - 03-22-2017 12:49 PM

I would put Adams in the core group too.
(03-22-2017 11:44 AM)mrbig Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 11:36 AM)bobreinhold1 Wrote:  JD told me he's going with Mike to VCU. He said if Peera gets the job most of the players will stay.

Thanks for passing along this tidbit. Not surprising.

Most is honestly less enthusiastic than I hoped. I guess the key is really keeping the current core (Evans, Jackson, Quez, Cashaw, Lott, and at least 2 of Harrison/Douglas/Meyer). That core is still competitive for a CUSA buy and can keep the program moving in the right direction.

Egor leaving seems even more likely with a new coach, whether he plays a grad year somewhere or plays professionally.

Is Jackson graduating after this semester? If not, then he pretty much has to stay since he would have to sit out a year if he transferred.

Evans and Rhoades obviously have a close relationship, Rhoades has said that Evans was the 1st person he called after he got the Rice job. That said, its just hard to imagine Evans sitting out a year in the middle of his collegiate career.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - 07owl - 03-22-2017 01:10 PM

(03-22-2017 12:47 PM)picrig Wrote:  I would have no objection on the surface at least to Pera. Don't know a ton about him other than his time at Rice. Seems like a good recruiter, well-liked by players. This does seem to be a case where hiring from within wouldn't be a bad choice necessarily.

How do you weight the desire to for continuity (which gives a higher probability of retaining current players) with the desire for the best coach possible? Say for example that Pera as a candidate is a "B" and hiring him means all (or maybe only 1) player transfers. Meanwhile, you have a candidate who is an "A" but hiring from outside means you lose a significant core (however you want to define that) of the current team. How would you prefer we handle a situation like that?

Well, given that we haven't had this kind of talent often in the last 20 years or so, I'd say it's worth a shot keeping the players rather than starting over

RE: Byers to go with Mike - owl95 - 03-22-2017 02:01 PM

I say you go with the best coach available whether that is Pera or not. I think he should be given a chance to be interviewed and considered along with any other candidates. We have already seen continuity(Willis Wilson) with a core of talent and short term but ultimately mediocre results. I'd like the next coach to be just as capable as Rhoades at recruiting quality talent and continuing to build the program.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - waltgreenberg - 03-22-2017 03:32 PM

(03-22-2017 12:47 PM)picrig Wrote:  I would have no objection on the surface at least to Pera. Don't know a ton about him other than his time at Rice. Seems like a good recruiter, well-liked by players. This does seem to be a case where hiring from within wouldn't be a bad choice necessarily.

IMO, the priority should be keeping as many of the current players as possible to ensure the program does not fall back to ground zero. If that means hiring Perra, then I'm all for it. The other priority, which is tied to the first, is to hire the new coach ASAP, and definitely within the next 7 - 10 days.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - texowl2 - 03-22-2017 04:16 PM

(03-22-2017 03:32 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

IMO, the priority should be keeping as many of the current players as possible to ensure the program does not fall back to ground zero. If that means hiring Perra, then I'm all for it. The other priority, which is tied to the first, is to hire the news coach ASAP, and definitely within the next 7 - 10 days.

Agree 1000%

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Fort Bend Owl - 03-22-2017 04:49 PM

Here are my thoughts on Pera. The guy knows his X's and O's. He definitely was Rhoades' go-to guy on the bench and they seemed to have a very close relationship. In fact I kind of get the sense that one factor of Rhoades' decision was his hope Pera would be his replacement. Maybe sort of what we had when Goldsmith left for Duke and gave Bobby May Ken Hatfield's cell number when he left.

Pera recruited Koulechov to ASU I thought (but maybe not looking at his resume), and recruited him to Rice I'm pretty sure. So they have a good relationship one would think. He also seems to have a good relationship still with James Harden who he coached in high school and college, and that would explain why Harden shows up occasionally at Rice practices and games. So he definitely seems to have the respect of current and past players.

My only concern perhaps is he doesn't seem as personable as Rhoades. But some of that is just a lack of conversation with him. But I agree with the others that if his hiring means we lose at most Martin, one of the big guys maybe and even Koulechov to the pros, then I think it's a chance worth taking. Rhoades' personality didn't really help get people in the seats that much - at this point, I don't think we'll draw legitimate crowds unless we're an NCAA-caliber team.

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Da.Owl - 03-22-2017 04:53 PM

(03-22-2017 12:08 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  At this point unless there is a red flag somewhere I think Peera would be a good choice.

That would keep Harden in the building 03-idea

RE: Byers to go with Mike - texowl2 - 03-22-2017 04:56 PM

(03-22-2017 04:49 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Here are my thoughts on Pera. The guy knows his X's and O's. He definitely was Rhoades' go-to guy on the bench and they seemed to have a very close relationship. In fact I kind of get the sense that one factor of Rhoades' decision was his hope Pera would be his replacement. Maybe sort of what we had when Goldsmith left for Duke and gave Bobby May Ken Hatfield's cell number when he left.

Pera recruited Koulechov to ASU I thought (but maybe not looking at his resume), and recruited him to Rice I'm pretty sure. So they have a good relationship one would think. He also seems to have a good relationship still with James Harden who he coached in high school and college, and that would explain why Harden shows up occasionally at Rice practices and games. So he definitely seems to have the respect of current and past players.

My only concern perhaps is he doesn't seem as personable as Rhoades. But some of that is just a lack of conversation with him. But I agree with the others that if his hiring means we lose at most Martin, one of the big guys maybe and even Koulechov to the pros, then I think it's a chance worth taking. Rhoades' personality didn't really help get people in the seats that much - at this point, I don't think we'll draw legitimate crowds unless we're an NCAA-caliber team.

Recent sports illustrated article about Harden talked about Pera and that Scott is still one of James' go to advisors.....

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Barney - 03-22-2017 05:00 PM

I wonder how much of this speculation about defections is even warranted? VCU is a better team than we are to begin with, and one of their fans posted here that their incoming recruiting class is "stellar".
I'm sure that Marcus Evans could find a role there, but who else?....(assuming Egor might leave anyway)

RE: Byers to go with Mike - Tomball Owl - 03-22-2017 05:08 PM

(03-22-2017 12:29 PM)JustAnotherAustinOwl Wrote:  He's ancient.

He'll have the team wearing canvas Chuck Taylors and shooting free throws underhanded.

If they can come anywhere close to Rick Berry's career average shooting FTs underhanded, I'd take it!

RE: Byers to go with Mike - cr11owl - 03-22-2017 05:16 PM

(03-22-2017 05:00 PM)Barney Wrote:  I wonder how much of this speculation about defections is even warranted? VCU is a better team than we are to begin with, and one of their fans posted here that their incoming recruiting class is "stellar".
I'm sure that Marcus Evans could find a role there, but who else?....(assuming Egor might leave anyway)

Think Jackson and Egor are gone. The rest are up in the air for now.