CSNbbs
The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis (/thread-812427.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - blazerjay - 03-14-2017 01:47 PM

Quote:If Joe Alleva is smart, I mean, if he wanted people to think he was smart, he would hire Mike Davis as the new head basketball coach.

http://www.lsunow.com/daily/opinion-there-is-a-clear-choice-of-who-should-be/article_3ed57840-081f-11e7-9d1a-03e51326f3aa.html

RE: The Daily Reiville (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - BlazerPhil - 03-14-2017 02:11 PM

Mike Davis would do well in Baton Rouge. There are a few dozen small schools that will make an easy day trip for the Mike Davis Cruiser Bus and help him pad his win totals.

RE: The Daily Reiville (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - BAMANBLAZERFAN - 03-14-2017 02:26 PM

(03-14-2017 02:11 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  Mike Davis would do well in Baton Rouge. There are a few dozen small schools that will make an easy day trip for the Mike Davis Cruiser Bus and help him pad his win totals.

Would UAB be among those one day trip small schools willing to help him with scheduling?

RE: The Daily Reiville (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - Memphis Blazer - 03-14-2017 02:54 PM

Wasn't LSU the job he had in mind when he had DeMarcus Cousins in his pocket?

RE: The Daily Reiville (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - blazerjay - 03-14-2017 03:03 PM

(03-14-2017 02:54 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Wasn't LSU the job he had in mind when he had DeMarcus Cousins in his pocket?

I know that it was an ACC school that sent word back to Dr. G of his shopping around ... Can't remember which...Wake Forest maybe?

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - BlazerMatt - 03-14-2017 03:54 PM

(03-14-2017 03:03 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 02:54 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Wasn't LSU the job he had in mind when he had DeMarcus Cousins in his pocket?

I know that it was an ACC school that sent word back to Dr. G of his shopping around ... Can't remember which...Wake Forest maybe?

There was more than one school that sent word that he was doing it. I thought the ACC one was NC State?

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-14-2017 03:57 PM

I recall NC State but it may have been both. There were Multiple SEC as well from what I remember.

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - blazerjay - 03-14-2017 03:58 PM

Yeah now that you mention it, I think it was NC State

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - Memphis Blazer - 03-14-2017 04:21 PM

Whether anything was reported back or not, it was in early 2008 when all this speculation about Davis and Cousins was going on. LSU was one of the schools looking for a coach, having just fired John Brady.

Sidney Lowe was in his third Samson at NC State, and wouldn't be fired until 2011

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - blazerjay - 03-14-2017 04:57 PM

(03-14-2017 04:21 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Whether anything was reported back or not, it was in early 2008 when all this speculation about Davis and Cousins was going on. LSU was one of the schools looking for a coach, having just fired John Brady.

Sidney Lowe was in his third Samson at NC State, and wouldn't be fired until 2011

was he channelling Kelvin or just growing his hair out for the third time?

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - Memphis Blazer - 03-14-2017 06:47 PM

I really need to proofread instead of going with spell check

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - UAB Band Dad - 03-14-2017 11:08 PM

The first paragraph of that article:

"If Joe Alleva is smart, I mean, if he wanted people to think he was smart, he would hire Mike Davis as the new head basketball coach. Over his 17-year coaching career, Mike Davis holds a 335-219 record at Indiana, UAB, and Texas Southern. His accomplishments include an NCAA title game appearance, eight total NCAA tourney appearances, six regular season championships, three conference tournament championships and 2014-15 SWAC Coach of the Year."

It's a good thing there's no comment section.

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - BlazerPhil - 03-14-2017 11:45 PM

(03-14-2017 04:57 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 04:21 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Whether anything was reported back or not, it was in early 2008 when all this speculation about Davis and Cousins was going on. LSU was one of the schools looking for a coach, having just fired John Brady.

was he channelling Kelvin or just growing his hair out for the third time?

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao. 04-bow

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - HooBlazer - 03-15-2017 04:41 PM

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/mike_davis_keeps_learning_and.html

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - Big Dee - 03-15-2017 06:50 PM

(03-15-2017 04:41 PM)HooBlazer Wrote:  http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/03/mike_davis_keeps_learning_and.html

Great story.

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - The Answer UAB - 03-15-2017 11:39 PM

I still believe Mike Davis is a good coach. He was really bad at a lot of the things required to be successful as a D1 bball head coach outside of simple Xs and Os and player development.

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - BlazerFromMD - 03-16-2017 07:21 AM

I also remember LSU specifically being mentioned.

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-16-2017 07:54 AM

At UAB Davis was a really good floor coach. He was a terrible program manager. He would always get the most out of the least amount of talent. If he could ever get the management part down he would be a solid coach for most programs.

Just my opinion.

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - Memphis Blazer - 03-16-2017 07:58 AM

Davis is a good developer of talent and he coaches his style of play well. However, the timing was wrong for him to be at UAB with that style of play. It is a boring style to watch and he followed one of the most exciting styles to watch. His aloofness to the school was his also his downfall

RE: The Daily Reveille (LSU) Opinion on next basketball coach...Mike Davis - The Answer UAB - 03-16-2017 06:32 PM

(03-16-2017 07:58 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Davis is a good developer of talent and he coaches his style of play well. However, the timing was wrong for him to be at UAB with that style of play. It is a boring style to watch and he followed one of the most exciting styles to watch. His aloofness to the school was his also his downfall

I remember going to the first home game CMD coached at UAB. I was absolutely shocked. I had forgotten that basketball could be played at that slow of a pace. It look me a very long time to get used to it.