CSNbbs
Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball (/thread-812017.html)

Pages: 1 2

Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - Tampa Bay Tiger - 03-10-2017 04:38 PM

This administration, at least as long as Tom Bowen is directing the ship, will not hire a coach with the recruiting mindset to win big here.

You cannot win big at Memphis without dealing in the grey areas of college basketball. That's the ONLY way you're getting top flight players to come here from out of town and probably the only way you get top flight players to stay home on a consistent basis.

As long as the administration sees staying as clean as possible as the top priority and I believe it is at this point, Memphis will not see another big NCAA run.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - bariggins98 - 03-11-2017 10:17 AM

(03-10-2017 04:38 PM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  This administration, at least as long as Tom Bowen is directing the ship, will not hire a coach with the recruiting mindset to win big here.

You cannot win big at Memphis without dealing in the grey areas of college basketball. That's the ONLY way you're getting top flight players to come here from out of town and probably the only way you get top flight players to stay home on a consistent basis.

As long as the administration sees staying as clean as possible as the top priority and I believe it is at this point, Memphis will not see another big NCAA run.

You cannot win big anywhere, including UCLA, KU, UK, UNC, and Duke, without dealing in the gray areas and unsavory players/entourages. Anyone that believes the blue bloods are successful without cheating are simply Pollyannas. Why we, an outsider, are intent on riding the white horse of integrity, is beyond me. If you want me to return to season ticketdom, the University needs to make one of two changes -hire a coach that will play the "game" and put a team on the floor worthy of the donation level and ticket price you require for good seats, or deeply discount said donation levels and tickets for the garbage product.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - Easterwood - 03-11-2017 10:20 AM

(03-11-2017 10:17 AM)bariggins98 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 04:38 PM)Tampa Bay Tiger Wrote:  This administration, at least as long as Tom Bowen is directing the ship, will not hire a coach with the recruiting mindset to win big here.

You cannot win big anywhere, including UCLA, KU, UK, UNC, and Duke, without dealing in the gray areas and unsavory players/entourages. Anyone that believes the blue bloods are successful without cheating are simply Pollyannas. Why we, an outsider, are intent on riding the white horse of integrity, is beyond me. If you want me to return to season ticketdom, the University needs to make one of two changes -hire a coach that will play the "game" and put a team on the floor worthy of the donation level and ticket price you require for good seats, or deeply discount said donation levels and tickets for the garbage product.

You have to "Play the game"

It's open to interpretation

Not always a money thing

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - bubbapt - 03-11-2017 10:30 AM

If Memphis had played to the level of its recruiting classes over the past eight seasons, I think most of us would be pretty satisfied with the results. What's been so perplexing is the level of underachievement.

This team lacked depth, but but the starting five was decent, and they looked like the third best team in the league for most of the year. Then late, some of its worst starts were after having a lot of time off (Temple, Cincy, UCF). This has to be the most perplexing season in a decade of disappointing results.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - bluebacker - 03-11-2017 10:54 AM

Maybe Memphis can aspire to be that plucky little bracket busting mid-major one day.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - VinnieVegas - 03-11-2017 11:21 AM

Right now these programs are ahead of us :
Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

If all those teams are cheating then it's time for us to pay up.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - tigerjamesc - 03-11-2017 11:38 AM

(03-11-2017 11:21 AM)VinnieVegas Wrote:  Right now these programs are ahead of us :
Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

You don't have to cheat...you do have to get in the mud with some pigs though

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - hsvtiger - 03-11-2017 11:41 AM

(03-11-2017 11:38 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 11:21 AM)VinnieVegas Wrote:  Right now these programs are ahead of us :
Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

Well said.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - MTigerBlue - 03-11-2017 12:08 PM

(03-11-2017 10:30 AM)bubbapt Wrote:  If Memphis had played to the level of its recruiting classes over the past eight seasons, I think most of us would be pretty satisfied with the results. What's been so perplexing is the level of underachievement.

This team lacked depth, but but the starting five was decent, and they looked like the third best team in the league for most of the year. Then late, some of its worst starts were after having a lot of time off (Temple, Cincy, UCF). This has to be the most perplexing season in a decade of disappointing results.

Legs were probably a very small part of the reason for the late season collapse, but something else happened to this team to cause the implosion we all painfully witnessed this year. Coaches, players -- I don't know (like everyone, I have my theories), but I expect to learn what it was at some point in the off season. That should be interesting. It's amazing all the folks who knew stuff a year and a half before it didn't happen don't know anything about this either.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - hsvtiger - 03-11-2017 01:16 PM

(03-11-2017 12:08 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 10:30 AM)bubbapt Wrote:  If Memphis had played to the level of its recruiting classes over the past eight seasons, I think most of us would be pretty satisfied with the results. What's been so perplexing is the level of underachievement.

Legs were probably a very small part of the reason for the late season collapse, but something else happened to this team to cause the implosion we all painfully witnessed this year. Coaches, players -- I don't know (like everyone, I have my theories), but I expect to learn what it was at some point in the off season. That should be interesting. It's amazing all the folks who knew stuff a year and a half before it didn't happen don't know anything about this either.

I just dont by the "legs" theory. It isnt like our team just didnt have "it" in late game situations, we would dig a huge hole from the get-go.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - salukiblue - 03-11-2017 03:55 PM

Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

Sad that we're behind MTSU. That makes us at least third best in TN with Vandy as the flagship. Headed to the NCAA again with a new coach and losing two 1st round picks.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - bubbapt - 03-11-2017 06:14 PM

(03-11-2017 11:41 AM)hsvtiger Wrote:  
(03-11-2017 11:38 AM)tigerjamesc Wrote:  
Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

Well said.

Welcome to life.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - tigerfeldspar - 03-11-2017 06:57 PM

(03-11-2017 03:55 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

Sad that we're behind MTSU. That makes us at least third best in TN with Vanda as the flagship. Headed to the NCAA again with a new coach and losing two 1st round picks.

well by rpi we are 6th behind belmont, east tn and UT

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - Penny Lane - 03-11-2017 08:26 PM

Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

In what way are these programs ahead of us? What criteria did you use?

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - ncrdbl1 - 03-12-2017 03:41 AM

Well Cal was 16-13 going into CUSA tournament the year before the Laurengurg prep guys showed up. So there may be somethig to the must work in grey areas comment.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - TigerK - 03-12-2017 11:11 AM

(03-11-2017 10:20 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  

Not always a money thing

Agreed

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - VinnieVegas - 03-12-2017 03:16 PM

(03-11-2017 08:26 PM)Penny Lane Wrote:  
Gonzaga
Wichita
Xavier
Dayton
VCU
Creighton
MTSU
Seton Hall
Butler
Iowa St
SMU
UCF

In what way are these programs ahead of us? What criteria did you use?

The way we've played the last 3 seasons. Remember the last time we made the tournament kids that are high school seniors now were in the 9th grade. Right now we are about where we were in 1999-00

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - snowtiger - 03-12-2017 04:03 PM

Well look at the bright side...in the very near future we won't have to deal with any Memphis kids and their aspirations to grow up Tigers.

They won't wanna waste their talent/time playing for a team that can't even make the NIT.

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - ZachMan - 03-13-2017 07:21 AM

Agree, the man was brought here to get football better so hats off to him for that but they have left basketball for dead and don't realty care!! You never hear from him about the ****** state this program is in, don't think Bowen cares at all

RE: Post Calipari-era of Tiger Basketball - gusrob - 03-13-2017 08:47 AM

(03-11-2017 10:20 AM)Easterwood Wrote:  

Not always a money thing

04-cheers And this can't be a secret. No one close to the game would deny this....would they?