CSNbbs
The end of ASN? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: The end of ASN? (/thread-811989.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

The end of ASN? - Artifice - 03-10-2017 01:23 PM

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-tes​t/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sincla​ir

Big news in college sports as the American Sports Network is ceasing operations out of their West Palm Beach studios at the end of March.

Sinclair will cease operations of the fledgling sports operation at the end of the month resulting in many questions around the national subchannel as well as their local sports coverage on Sinclair stations. Newsroom, production and master control teams will all be impacted.

Rumors are that remaining operations and outstanding obligations will be picked up by Campus Insiders, the sports news website based in Chicago.

RE: The end of ASN? - devyanks90 - 03-10-2017 01:40 PM

I don't live in an ASN market, so this is only a good thing in my opinion. Their production quality was mediocre, at best. Bring in more BeIn and ESPN3.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RE: The end of ASN? - mturn017 - 03-10-2017 01:42 PM

(03-10-2017 01:23 PM)Artifice Wrote:  https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-tes​t/2017/3/10/more-sacked-at-sincla​ir

Big news in college sports as the American Sports Network is ceasing operations out of their West Palm Beach studios at the end of March.

Sinclair will cease operations of the fledgling sports operation at the end of the month resulting in many questions around the national subchannel as well as their local sports coverage on Sinclair stations. Newsroom, production and master control teams will all be impacted.

Rumors are that remaining operations and outstanding obligations will be picked up by Campus Insiders, the sports news website based in Chicago.

01-scout

RE: The end of ASN? - Saint Greg - 03-10-2017 01:44 PM

I liked ASN. You could see Tech games on stations just about everywhere in the state except Baton Rouge. BeIn sucks. Nobody gets it or knows what it is.

RE: The end of ASN? - MonarchManiac - 03-10-2017 01:46 PM

Yeah ASN much preferable to BeIn for me. at least I didn't have to pay extra for it.

RE: The end of ASN? - ExcitedOwl18 - 03-10-2017 01:50 PM

I love the free CampusInsiders streams, to be honest.

RE: The end of ASN? - TTT - 03-10-2017 01:55 PM

ASN is CSS minus the name and their leftover crappy equipment that didn't get transferred to the SECNetwork.

RE: The end of ASN? - Cyniclone - 03-10-2017 02:01 PM

(03-10-2017 01:44 PM)Saint Greg Wrote:  I liked ASN. You could see Tech games on stations just about everywhere in the state except Baton Rouge. BeIn sucks. Nobody gets it or knows what it is.

The only ODU markets that ASN hit were Norfolk and Roanoke-Lynchburg. If you lived in Richmond or DC, more often than not you were out of luck.

RE: The end of ASN? - ODU2K1 - 03-10-2017 02:06 PM

This may look bad now but it may not be. Hang on while I flesh this out.

Option One: Campus Insiders Pickups Up The ASN Package
-The product will improve. They availability will improve provided you don't have super janky internet.

Option Two: Beg beIN Pickup The ASN Package
-Judy can give it to them is she has to. It's not like any of the schools are getting Oprah rich off ASN. The product will improve vastly over ASN and I know it will always be in HD (unlike the semi-finals last night).

Option Three: Get Creative
Part One: Talk to NBC Sports Group/ESPN/Fox and say "Look we know we are the Island of Misfit Toys right now. We get it. Take our games. We would like two games a week in football season (one Thursday/one Saturday) and three or four a week during hoops season (one Thursday/two or three Saturday). Tell the new broadcast partner they can have the games for nothing upfront. We want to be a partner with them. They cover production costs and we don't see any money until after they have made back their production costs. At that point, we do a 75/25 split to start on a sliding scale until we get to 50/50.

Part Two: The rest of the inventory goes back to the schools to get on TV via RSN's, local TV, or local cable company (Outside of the F's that should not be too hard. Sorry guys.). If you still can't get it on TV stream it but with something that doesn't suck so no CUSA TV. Maybe Judy forces all the schools to get up ESPN3 standards.

Honestly, our most likely shot is Option One. Having more on beIN would not hurt my feelings, though.

RE: The end of ASN? - Artifice - 03-10-2017 02:15 PM

Definitely Option Three. It boggles my mind that NBC Sports has no interest in being a player in MBB at any level. Our current package is peanuts to them, but we could lower it if we had to. I think our commish has to be trying to talk to ESPN and them - we do not exist on the sports landscape because almost none of our games are actually televised. We have to get on regular airwaves at least for now.

Also, everyone loves Campus insiders. I do not. Their app doesn't list all of the games and their feeds are a choppy mess for me most games, despite blazing fast internet on my end. I do like their production better than the low ESPN3 standards, but that's about it.

RE: The end of ASN? - WKUFan518 - 03-10-2017 02:17 PM

This sucks, doubt Campus Insiders will have any of the normal now games on TV....I was just thinking yesterday wonder how long ASN will last...For those happy about this, you are rooting against all of us, pretty soon only games we will have on a true TV will be on a channel in Mars....Although for WKU basketball shouldn't effect us too much with the deal we have with Fox College Sports..

RE: The end of ASN? - Monarchist13 - 03-10-2017 02:20 PM

(03-10-2017 02:06 PM)ODU2K1 Wrote:  Maybe Judy forces all the schools to get up ESPN3 standards.

I remember when the last TV deal was announced, Wood stressed that this was a major focus of the league and CUSA would actually provide funds to each school to do so. So far, only a few schools have followed through.

RE: The end of ASN? - monarx - 03-10-2017 02:21 PM

I just hope the games are shown somewhere. Without ASN, there would be VERY little CUSA content on television. The production was horrible, but it was better than nothing.

RE: The end of ASN? - Memphis Blazer - 03-10-2017 02:22 PM

(03-10-2017 01:50 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I love the free CampusInsiders streams, to be honest.

Agree. It was a huge letdown going from campusinsiders production on Wednesday to the ASN mess on Thursday. Precipitous drop in quality.

Glad to see ASN gone.

RE: The end of ASN? - WKUFan518 - 03-10-2017 02:23 PM

(03-10-2017 02:15 PM)Artifice Wrote:  Definitely Option Three. It boggles my mind that NBC Sports has no interest in being a player in MBB at any level. Our current package is peanuts to them, but we could lower it if we had to. I think our commish has to be trying to talk to ESPN and them - we do not exist on the sports landscape because almost none of our games are actually televised. We have to get on regular airwaves at least for now.

Also, everyone loves Campus insiders. I do not. Their app doesn't list all of the games and their feeds are a choppy mess for me most games, despite blazing fast internet on my end. I do like their production better than the low ESPN3 standards, but that's about it.

Yep Campus Insiders is awful on my laptop, phone was much better but still its not great and production was not great either...ESPN 3 is horrible....I don't understand how all this hate for ASN..Feed was clear as day on every game on DIrect TV and it was all in HD, I am going to miss ASN, now we are screwed...NBS Sports will never want us because they are in the Olympic, Soccer, and Rugby sports, and or show racing...

Now our tournament will only have semifinals and finals on TV at 9 and 11 am and our quarterfinals will only be online instead of Direct TV...I thought ASN production was high quality, they always did a good job on Direct TV....

RE: The end of ASN? - Artifice - 03-10-2017 02:25 PM

wouldn't we fill time slots that NBC Sports doesn't have content for though?

RE: The end of ASN? - ThreeifbyLightning - 03-10-2017 02:36 PM

NBC is worried about competing with already highly established content providers (i.e. ESPN and Fox) while also watching their subscriber numbers get shaved month after month.

They aren't willing to pay for content right now. Waiting it out.

RE: The end of ASN? - Native Georgian - 03-10-2017 02:37 PM

(03-10-2017 02:15 PM)Artifice Wrote:  It boggles my mind that NBC Sports has no interest in being a player in MBB at any level.
They're doing the A10 Tournament

RE: The end of ASN? - Artifice - 03-10-2017 02:42 PM

Thought that was just honoring a previous commitment (A10 tournament). Done with MBB after that.

RE: The end of ASN? - RedParallax - 03-10-2017 02:46 PM

Good riddance. I live in a market where Marshall vs ODU last night wasn't showing on a local affiliate. I tweeted at the CUSA and ASN twitter accounts asking for another option, preferably online streaming. The link provided was not live and consistently started at the UAB-LaTech pre-show from 3-4 hours earlier. This went on until the last 3 minutes of the first half, when the link actually showed live coverage of the game. When I re-opened the link after the second half, it was the UAB-LaTech pre-show again. Absolutely infuriating, especially considering how close the game got, and ended.

I'll happily pay an extra $10-$15/month for beIN's services, and can only hope that Campus Insiders will take what assets and capabilities from ASN that actually consistently worked, and improve upon them, because the Campus Insiders live streams have been really solid.