CSNbbs
College hoops coaches OUT and IN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: College hoops coaches OUT and IN (/thread-811341.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - Cyniclone - 03-07-2017 06:13 PM

(03-07-2017 05:15 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  NCSU targeting Butler's Chris Holtmann and VCU's Will Wade

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0630846567582014956-4

NC State probably has a boilerplate coaching short list with blanks next to Butler and VCU.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - DawgNBama - 03-07-2017 07:56 PM

LSU's Johnny Jones is gone after the SEC tourny.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - ken d - 03-07-2017 08:21 PM

They're dropping like flies this week.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - dxdtdemon - 03-08-2017 05:40 AM

Gary Waters has "retired" from Cleveland State. That means that outside of Greg Kampe at Oakland, the rest of the Horizon League head coaches will be in their first or second year of coaching at their present school next season.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - bluesox - 03-08-2017 11:16 AM

So will Cleveland state target the Boston college coach 05-stirthepot

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - Wedge - 03-09-2017 06:38 PM

Derek Kellogg is out at UMass, according to ESPN. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18867152/umass-parts-ways-head-coach-derek-kellogg

I'll do an update on the OP after the conference tournaments to pick up the coaching departures of this week.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - Steve1981 - 03-09-2017 07:25 PM

(03-09-2017 06:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Derek Kellogg is out at UMass, according to ESPN. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18867152/umass-parts-ways-head-coach-derek-kellogg

I'll do an update on the OP after the conference tournaments to pick up the coaching departures of this week.

From our AD Ryan Bamford:
Quote:AMHERST, Mass. – University of Massachusetts Director of Athletics Ryan Bamford announced on Thursday that men's basketball head coach Derek Kellogg has been relieved of his duties.

"Decisions like this are always difficult but after a thorough review of our men's basketball program, I believe that a leadership change is needed to realize a higher level of competitive success expected at the University of Massachusetts," Bamford said.

At the helm of the program for nine seasons, Kellogg compiled an overall record of 155-137 with a record of 15-18 in 2016-17. Kellogg's UMass teams were 67-83 in Atlantic 10 play during his tenure.

"I want to thank Derek for his unwavering commitment to UMass basketball as both a student-athlete and our head coach," Bamford said. "Derek will always be a Minuteman and we wish him and his family well in the future."

An extensive national search to fill the position is underway. Fogler Consulting, led by former Associated Press National Coach of the Year Eddie Fogler, will assist UMass in the search process.

"I am confident that our ranking as a top public research university, coupled with our considerable financial investment in the men's program, including the new state-of-the-art John F. Kennedy Champions Center, will attract some outstanding candidates to UMass," Bamford added.

Quote:.@USATODAY's Steve Berkowitz (@ByBerkowitz) reporting Kellogg's buyout sits at $1.16M over 2 years. Lower if he's hired for another job.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - jdgaucho - 03-09-2017 08:17 PM

UC Santa Barbara is not going to renew Bob Williams's contract. A new coach will be coming after 19 years.

http://ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2016-17/releases/20170309rawfz1

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - billybobby777 - 03-09-2017 08:23 PM

(03-09-2017 07:25 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(03-09-2017 06:38 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Derek Kellogg is out at UMass, according to ESPN. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18867152/umass-parts-ways-head-coach-derek-kellogg

Quote:AMHERST, Mass. – University of Massachusetts Director of Athletics Ryan Bamford announced on Thursday that men's basketball head coach Derek Kellogg has been relieved of his duties.

"Decisions like this are always difficult but after a thorough review of our men's basketball program, I believe that a leadership change is needed to realize a higher level of competitive success expected at the University of Massachusetts," Bamford said.

At the helm of the program for nine seasons, Kellogg compiled an overall record of 155-137 with a record of 15-18 in 2016-17. Kellogg's UMass teams were 67-83 in Atlantic 10 play during his tenure.

"I want to thank Derek for his unwavering commitment to UMass basketball as both a student-athlete and our head coach," Bamford said. "Derek will always be a Minuteman and we wish him and his family well in the future."

An extensive national search to fill the position is underway. Fogler Consulting, led by former Associated Press National Coach of the Year Eddie Fogler, will assist UMass in the search process.

"I am confident that our ranking as a top public research university, coupled with our considerable financial investment in the men's program, including the new state-of-the-art John F. Kennedy Champions Center, will attract some outstanding candidates to UMass," Bamford added.

Good move by UMASS. Your school understands the stakes and they've never been higher.
Cheers!

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - Steve1981 - 03-10-2017 10:37 AM

Steve Hewitt‏ @steve_hewitt 2m2 minutes ago
Quote:More
Ryan Bamford said he hopes to find a replacement for Derek Kellogg by the end of the month at the latest.

Matt Vautour‏ @MattVautourDHG 3m3 minutes ago
Bamford said he'll offer 5-year contract with average salary of $800,000-$900,000 plus bonuses

Like the X's and O's, the last 4 minute as it was one of DK huge down falls and we are highly resourced.

Steve Hewitt‏ @steve_hewitt 13m13 minutes ago
Ryan Bamford on what qualities he's looking for in the next #UMass coach:
[Image: C6kizpJWgAAt19y.jpg]

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - esayem - 03-10-2017 01:30 PM

(03-09-2017 07:25 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  

Quote:.@USATODAY's Steve Berkowitz (@ByBerkowitz) reporting Kellogg's buyout sits at $1.16M over 2 years. Lower if he's hired for another job.

Wow, I was thinking he'd have one more year considering the team is so young. A quick look at the roster and they are returning everybody; that's an anomaly this day in age.

Anyway, Eddie Fogler knows his stuff so I'm sure you'll end up with a good hire.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - ken d - 03-10-2017 03:18 PM

This is always an interesting time of the year. Every school believes that next year they will have a better record than this year, thanks to their exciting new coaching hire. Why, the overall average win% in the NCAA may finally get better than the .500 they have been stuck on for so long.

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - Steve1981 - 03-10-2017 03:53 PM

Break down of finance by the school newspaper by Adam Aucoin

Most has been said on the previous thread page except the 25k will be raised privately.

Quote:Bamford has known Fogler for years and his happy with the move to add him to the process.

“What Eddie does, what any search firm will do for us as a public university, they give us protection in the process in that if I’m doing a search on my own I can’t necessarily protect certain candidates because I’m an employee at a state university,” Bamford said. “At the end of the day, there are say for example, sitting head coaches. Eddie can talk to those guys and protect them in the process and share that information with me.”

The service Fogler provides will come at a cost for UMass. The University will pay Fogler $25,000 for his efforts at the end of the search. According to Bamford, the fee for Fogler’s services has been raised privately from unrestricted gifts and will not come out of the state’s funds or from the basketball program.

Although the search for the next coach hasn’t been kicked into high gear just yet, Bamford already has plans for what the next coach’s contract will look like.

Bamford envisions the prospective five-year deal to have an annual salary in the $800,000-$900,000 range along with some bonus structure attached to the contract.

“The next contract will likely be a five-year contract. It will need to be cost neutral for us as a program in the next few years because of Derek’s buyout, so that means that the value of the contract will increase in year’s three, four and five,” Bamford said.

“In terms of a full budget, it is a five-year investment that we’re going to make in this position and in our coaching staff,” he added. “I want to create something where the next person has the ability to make money on success in ties to our success and really work with them to invest in the program to have success.”

http://dailycollegian.com/2017/03/10/umass-athletic-director-ryan-bamford-breaks-down-finances-in-decision-to-fire-derek-kellogg/

RE: College hoops coaches Out and In - Love and Honor - 03-10-2017 04:31 PM

John Cooper officially out at Miami, along with our women's coach FWIW.

RE: College hoops coaches OUT and IN - Wedge - 03-13-2017 03:13 PM

05-bump Edited OP to add more coaching departures. 05-bump

RE: College hoops coaches OUT and IN - Tom in Lazybrook - 03-14-2017 04:48 PM

GW hiring interim coach Maurice Joseph, per multiple reports. I'm good with that. 19 wins with a team with 10 new players.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/atlantic10/2017/03/14/maurice-joseph-george-washington-head-coach/99160304/

RE: College hoops coaches OUT and IN - Hokie4Skins - 03-15-2017 03:23 PM

Cuonzo Martin leaves Cal to take the Mizzou job.

RE: College hoops coaches OUT and IN - GoldenWarrior11 - 03-15-2017 03:26 PM

(03-15-2017 03:23 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Cuonzo Martin leaves Cal to take the Mizzou job.

Thamel reporting it is a 7-year deal, for $3 million annually. Not bad at all.

RE: College hoops coaches OUT and IN - CyclonePower - 03-15-2017 10:52 PM

Romar was fired

RE: College hoops coaches OUT and IN - SactoHornetAlum - 03-16-2017 11:02 AM

Tyler Geving out at Portland State...

http://www.goviks.com/news/2017/3/15/tyler-geving-will-not-return-as-portland-state-mens-basketball-coach-in-2017-18.aspx